Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

According to post #13 in this thread http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28879 it is the stern of the butty 'Satellite'.

But I agree, something's not right unless it was messed about with to look more like a bow of a motor.

Edited to add:

Saying that, it's not that different to a small Woolwich stern so I'm inclined to believe what the advert says.

5877134226_f12709da05_z.jpg
Betelgeuse - Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2011 by imulford, on Flickr

Edited by IanM

Nor me

There's only one photo on the listing but to me, Adastrea's bow doesn't look like a butty stern.

The stem post in particular looks un-butty-like to me. Where would the rudder pins have engaged for example?

Looks more like a good, modern fabricated copy of a town class bow to my uneducated eye.

Normally such conversions remodel the stem, and remove any evidence of where the rudder used to hang, (although some less elaborate ones do not - e.g. back end of "Dodona")

The usual issue that causes them to look a bit odd, (in my view), is that the stem post below looks to straight, lacking some of the natural curvature of a front end.

I can't see why you think it is Town class like though. A "Town's" hull-sides are about 7" deeper than those of a small "Star", giving an altogether more massive appearance.

If it is "Satellite's" back end, it is interesting to see what happened to the first butty acquired by the Narrow Boat Trust - hardly what they said was going to happen to it, although IIRC they were forced to sell it on due to lack of finances.

If it is "Satellite's" back end, it is interesting to see what happened to the first butty acquired by the Narrow Boat Trust - hardly what they said was going to happen to it, although IIRC they were forced to sell it on due to lack of finances.

HNBC says Satellite's back end was used to make Ganymede but of course that could have changed names since.

http://hnbc.org.uk/boats/satellite

Nor me

There's only one photo on the listing but to me, Adastrea's bow doesn't look like a butty stern.

The stem post in particular looks un-butty-like to me. Where would the rudder pins have engaged for example?

Looks more like a good, modern fabricated copy of a town class bow to my uneducated eye.

If it's the boat I am thinking of, the only bit that could possibly be "historic" is the bow section. As soon as the sides straighten out from the bow any trace of historic disappears. If the bow is also fabricated, just what IS historic?

Of course I may be thinking of the wrong boat, if so, I apologise to the owner/seller.

George ex nb Alton retired

If it's the boat I am thinking of, the only bit that could possibly be "historic" is the bow section. As soon as the sides straighten out from the bow any trace of historic disappears. If the bow is also fabricated, just what IS historic?

Of course I may be thinking of the wrong boat, if so, I apologise to the owner/seller.

George ex nb Alton retired

It claims that about 14 feet is from the back of the GUCCCo boat, so even if that is relatively intack above the waterline, I make that only about 23% of the entire hull.

That said, done well, they can be quite convincing although several I have seen are not done particularly well.

HNBC says Satellite's back end was used to make Ganymede but of course that could have changed names since.

http://hnbc.org.uk/boats/satellite

CWDF Linky

Normally such conversions remodel the stem, and remove any evidence of where the rudder used to hang, (although some less elaborate ones do not - e.g. back end of "Dodona")

The usual issue that causes them to look a bit odd, (in my view), is that the stem post below looks to straight, lacking some of the natural curvature of a front end.

During the 2009 Braunston Historic Boats, Achilles was in the shed at Braunston being converted into 2 motors. The stern end was being remodelled into a bows by grinding off the anser pin eyes and lower rudder pintle, and by reshaping the top of the sternpost into a fair replica of the typical small Woolwich bow shape. It would have taken a farily experienced eye to know it wasn't originally a bows.

• 2 weeks later...

I was involved with researching this boat back in the mid 90's when it was dry docked at Highline Yachting. During pressure washing a makers stamp appeared on one of the iron plates, this was linked by Dave McDoogal at the then Black Country Museum to a foundry in Tipton which only existed for a short while and ceased in 1846. "Equus" is almost certainly one of the oldest datable hulls around and would become a wonderful boat to have given an enthusiastic owner. She is probably the earliest Bantock type hull to be around.
Somewhere I have pictures of the makers mark, I will try and find them and post up.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

After some searching here is the builders mark found in 1994 on "Equus", the BBH (Bramah, Barrows & Hall) means the plate was manufactured between 1834 -1846 as after then the initials changed. BBH was a superior iron making producer using a new process at the time, photo taken by Mark Pullinger who worked at the High Line's yard at the time:

gallery_5000_522_75202.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

What an intersting boat.

Does anyone know who built the counter stern/motor conversion, and when? Presumabaly they built the cabin too. Looks rather like Dennis Cooper's work to me, various details being similar to REGINALD.

MtB

What an intersting boat.

Does anyone know who built the counter stern/motor conversion, and when? Presumabaly they built the cabin too. Looks rather like Dennis Cooper's work to me, various details being similar to REGINALD.

MtB

A lot of work was done at Iver on this boat but I will check on Monday.

Reminds me of a boat which I hold in high regard, Emerald, also a shortened Bantock, 49 feet I think.

Emerald"s wooden bottom & lower strakes were replaced in steel in 1988 at Langley Mill, owner at the time was Colin Pailin, seem to remember it seemed to roll more than other ex working boats may be because of the hull shape.

This

http://houseboats.apolloduck.co.uk/image.phtml?id=341762ℑ=1

Would it be rude to cut it in half an let in 29ft?

My residential mooring is 72x13ft8

Current boat only 58x12

Hmm

I love bluff bows you just get such good accommodation And IMO they look great too.

Unusual to find a humber keel under 14ft though

Must say I thought Equus had an icebreaker fore end. I once owned a "Mk1 Bantock" (not really a type but sort of recognized as a description by some its the type with the fine double curved bows) and it was similar but I feel Equus has an even more fine shape.

Nice boat not sure who did the stern but the dollies normally tell the story I find except she has stainless steel ones... oh dear

Who would add welded stainless fittings to an old boat??

Bit odd

Malcolm Brains, Dennis Cooper have recognisable dollies but I don't recall seeing stainless except on the no-tumblehome made in china bamboo lined things

:unsure:

Cepheus £47k at Warwickshire Fly http://www.wfbco.co.uk/narrowboats_for_sale/Cepheus

Interesting. Cepheus passed me this afternoon at Braunston, heading north up the h'Oxford.

Nice looking bote but didn't sound too good.

Lister HA2 according to the sign on the enjun room side doors...

WFBC's details really are the worst, aren't they?

I really don't know why people use this route to sell old boats.

I must be failing to see something here, but with other unconverted GUCCCo boats apparently not in poor shape remaining unsold for many months at at least £10K less, I really am struggling to see why anyone is going to want to pay anything like £47K for this one.

Unless someone particularly wants a "Star", I suppose, but it doesn't look from the (poor) pictures that it really matches the big price tag.

What am I missing?