Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Ay up Canal Chef selling?

http://badseys.co.uk/

6271430.jpg

Changed the photo.

From the advert:

Currently paired with ALDGATE on display at Crick Show.

72ft. Unconverted apart from removable double bedroom pod,

in addition to usual traditional cabin accommodation.

National Historic Ships Registered.

£33,000 including 1year free mooring at Hillmorton and,

due to vendors confidence in the hull, work to insurance requirement

if advised by mutually agreed surveyor (subject to contract).

Edited by Ray T

But in the above photograph ANGEL is being towed by FULBOURNE captain.gif

We towed Angel with Fulbourne a number of times in her previous ownership, including a few times in the parade at Braunston. On one of those occasions RLWP of this parish was steering.

Correct, and ANGEL was not owned by the FULBOURNE syndicate whilst being towed in the above photograph.

For that matter I neither owned Angel nor was part of the syndicate when I steered them both through the parade at Braunston. Bloody good fun though

Richard

We towed Angel with Fulbourne a number of times in her previous ownership, including a few times in the parade at Braunston. On one of those occasions RLWP of this parish was steering.

See!

For that matter I neither owned Angel nor was part of the syndicate when I steered them both through the parade at Braunston. Bloody good fun though

Richard

See!

I have steered about half of the remaining former G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. motor boats as well as several buttys over the years, but I have only ever owned one large Woolwich pair captain.gif

Pardon my ignorance, but if you wanted to pull a butty what do you need to look for in an engine (or is it a case that old engines do it better)?

In my experience of towing Angel with Fulbourne, and of towing a broken down boats with a fairly typical modern leisure narrowboat, you don't really need any more engine power to tow than when not towing, although you might burn a bit more diesel. Might be different with a loaded butty.

The bigger problem is not so much getting the towed boat moving as stopping it without hitting something.

In my experience of towing Angel with Fulbourne, and of towing a broken down boats with a fairly typical modern leisure narrowboat, you don't really need any more engine power to tow than when not towing, although you might burn a bit more diesel. Might be different with a loaded butty.

The bigger problem is not so much getting the towed boat moving as stopping it without hitting something.

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully will go to someone who can work her or at least show.

I suspect £33K might be reaching a new record for the highest ever advertised price for an unconverted GUCCCo butty.

I also suspect I'm about to be told I'm wrong though!

A boat dear to my heart because my late brother Peter used to own it, but buttys find it hard to find a buyer at the moment at prices that are much lower.

Richard

See!

And here's the proof:

post-7909-0-12074800-1464210869_thumb.jpg

Is it me or has the (advertised) price of unconverted GU boats gone up by about £10k in the last 12 months?!!

Having just changed insurer for "Sickle", I was surprised to be told that the valuation I have been using with my previous insurer seems high, and that the insurer may question it.

However compared to the asking price on boats like Thaxted/Widgeon, Princess Anne, Tycho and now Angel, to me it doesn't seem excessive at all.

It's hard to be precise, without knowing the current state of restoration of each boat involved, but I suppose the ultimate evidence is whether the seller achieves anything like what they are asking. Tycho, for example is quite unique, because of the ice ram, but will have a much more limited list of potential buyers, I think.

AFAIK Angel still has a skinned wooden cabin - clearly more authentic than Woolwich buttys that now have a steel one, but a switch to steel seems to be an accepted modification for all but real purists, and generally I would say boats with wooden back cabins might be expected to fetch less rather than more.