Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

What is an 'original' feature of this boat?

Richard

very little now I imagine captain.gif

edit = I have just been doing further research and Keith Eley (B.C.N. enthusiast and former lock keeper at Wolverhampton) claims CAGGY's cabin alterations were carried out at Keay's in the early 1970's.

Edited by pete harrison

Frames rivets plates attitude all original!

I think the seller always sells through Ian at new and used boat co. I felt very out of place at Mercia marine buying Fenny there from the same seller but they were very good. However my attire in the cafe after hitting the boat in the dock with my hammer was not appreciated...

I know that this never applied to your unconverted boat, George, but doesn't the same apply to many people who pay for up to 72 feet of boat, and get to actually have the benefit of just 8 feet of living space?

I am really referring to the large knifeblade on the bow which is of no use to the average boater and could be cut off except for a regard to history.

Most other unconverted boats have areas that can be made use of, one way or another!

George ex nb Alton retired

No use to the -average- boater? Who would it be if use to and for what?

Someone will take it off soon I reckon.

There was one bidder through Ebay who failed to follow through with the purchase.

A second person had been looking at the boat with interest, but they too have decided not to purchase.

The boat is still for sale. This from the vendors wife today.

It does look nice in the photos.....

very little now I imagine :captain:

edit = I have just been doing further research and Keith Eley (B.C.N. enthusiast and former lock keeper at Wolverhampton) claims CAGGY's cabin alterations were carried out at Keay's in the early 1970's.

Registration number suggests it was (re)registered around 1970 I think. Personally I think it has loads of character and is a great boat but I doubt I would be tempted to part with anything remotely close to the asking price if I was in the market.

JP

Registration number suggests it was (re)registered around 1970 I think. Personally I think it has loads of character and is a great boat but I doubt I would be tempted to part with anything remotely close to the asking price if I was in the market.

JP

You could probably sell the engine for a fair part of the price of the boat

Richard

JP

What registration does CAGGY have that can be dated to around 1970 ?

edit = the only registration I am aware of for CAGGY is its index number 61460, issued by British Waterways Board in 1980 / 1981, but I am always prepared to be educated as clearly B.C.N. tugs are not my main field of research captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

What registration does CAGGY have that can be dated to around 1970 ?

edit = the only registration I am aware of for CAGGY is its index number 61460, issued by British Waterways Board in 1980 / 1981, but I am always prepared to be educated as clearly B.C.N. tugs are not my main field of research :captain:

I was going on the proximity of the index number to that of my own boat. However in doing so I was assuming mine was issued when the boat was new in February 1969. I am now guessing that assumption is wrong?

JP

You could probably sell the engine for a fair part of the price of the boat

Richard

I may have underestimated the contribution of the engine to the asking price but looking online at a price for a reconditioned JP3 I still don't think I would want to be paying that much. It's another boat recently on the market that makes me glad I bought when I did.

JP

No use to the -average- boater? Who would it be if use to and for what?

Someone will take it off soon I reckon.

It does look nice in the photos.....

We seem to be talking at cross purposes. The first two lines refer to TYCHO's ice breaking blade, and the third maybe to PROGRESS? Or maybe not.

What's an average boater? Someone who likes to be on a boat, in it or out of it, it doesn't matter. . . . Now who said that . . . ? Ice breaking blade or 70' ex-working boat, if it gives pleasure - and that's about all the cut is used for today - so be it.

Edited by Derek R.

Er?.......someone wishing to break ice?

That would be a tragedy.

Do we still get ice ? I haven't seen any of any thickness which would need a special boat for quite a long time. Obviously it is an ice ram but designed for a time when there was often very thick ice about. This no longer seems to be the case.

I agree it would be sad if it is removed but I still think it probably will be.

We seem to be talking at cross purposes. The first two lines refer to TYCHO's ice breaking blade, and the third maybe to PROGRESS? Or maybe not.

What's an average boater? Someone who likes to be on a boat, in it or out of it, it doesn't matter. . . . Now who said that . . . ? Ice breaking blade or 70' ex-working boat, if it gives pleasure - and that's about all the cut is used for today - so be it.

I was talking about Progress in the third part yes. Sorry it was a bit confusing.

I also found the 'average person' comment odd - if it is of no use to the 'average person' then its of no use to anyone as there just isn't the ice about for it to break.

If someone gets pleasure from it then that's all that matters - that is certainly true :)

Do we still get ice ? I haven't seen any of any thickness which would need a special boat for quite a long time. Obviously it is an ice ram but designed for a time when there was often very thick ice about. This no longer seems to be the case.

I agree it would be sad if it is removed but I still think it probably will be.

I was talking about Progress in the third part yes. Sorry it was a bit confusing.

I also found the 'average person' comment odd - if it is of no use to the 'average person' then its of no use to anyone as there just isn't the ice about for it to break.

If someone gets pleasure from it then that's all that matters - that is certainly true smile.png

Which is why I commented, with a hint of seriousness, that CRT could consider it a special case with respect to its nominal length.

The"average person" in my comment is someone who is not a dyed in the wool historic boat enthusiast which is what is needed to own a boat such as TYCHO.

Caggy's original cabin was a more function over style shape, as in this pic from walsall's aclickintime website.

Dated on the site at 1969.

attachicon.gifcaggyTI.jpg

post-3500-0-39148900-1465598556_thumb.jp

In a 'money no object' world - that's how I would have Caggy. Good job it isn't a money-no-object world

Richard

• Greenie 1

post-3500-0-39148900-1465598556_thumb.jp

In a 'money no object' world - that's how I would have Caggy. Good job it isn't a money-no-object world

Richard

It does suit her more doesnt it, businesslike ready to graft and pick up a train of 'amptons.

It does suit her more doesnt it, businesslike ready to graft and pick up a train of 'amptons.

That shows the tug at one of the low points in its working life, Stevens & Keay never was a success and lasted only a short time, the overall black livery with just the odd relief of red was drab. By the time this livery came into being the "Hamptons" trade was well gone as were most of the boats, the only work it did to my memory was pipeline laying.

I was going on the proximity of the index number to that of my own boat. However in doing so I was assuming mine was issued when the boat was new in February 1969. I am now guessing that assumption is wrong?

JP

That assumption is wrong.

British Waterways Board first issued Index Numbers in 1980, and these covered both new builds for 1980 and every other older boat on their waterways. This means that it is impossible to date an older boat from its Index Number. By the time the initial allocation of Index Numbers was completed it was well into 1981. I licensed two boats at the same time in 1980 with the allocated Index Numbers being 62064 (butty) and 62212 (motor), and the aluminium number plates were fitted to the cabins by me in September of that year.

The dating of British Waterways Board Index Numbers has been covered several times on this Forum captain.gif

edit = this link gives issue dates up to 2000:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=76303&hl=index+number

Edited by pete harrison

That shows the tug at one of the low points in its working life, Stevens & Keay never was a success and lasted only a short time, the overall black livery with just the odd relief of red was drab. By the time this livery came into being the "Hamptons" trade was well gone as were most of the boats, the only work it did to my memory was pipeline laying.

I think we, well I was, were talking about the cabin shape more than the colour scheme. While I love most things about the BCN S&K's livery isnt one of them.

:D