Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=478401

Mountbatten & Jellicoe. I do love the shape of these two.

A pair of Yarwoods "Dustbin's" in Anderton livery & not a telephone directory # price tag. A lasting memory for me was seeing Jack Tolley trying to climb over the bottom gates of the lower Hack Green lock, running back empty from Norbury (Silica grit for Universal Grinding Wheels Stafford) when on "Chucking back" he collected a bundle of empty plastic fertilizer sacks around his blade He was powerless to stop it so stepped off the counter as the stern end got to the lock entrance.My boats were below the lock & I never gave a thought to the outcome if the gates had given way fortunately they didn't bent the handrails a bit though

Edited by X Alan W

I bought my first ever bag of coal from Ivor on Mountbatten at braunston turn in 1994 :) it was just Mountbatten then.

I like the boats. Does seem quite a lot for a motor and a butty but I am not at all up to date with values. As far as I know Ivor had £10k in a carrier bag when he bought Mountbatten. Don't know when that was - 1990 ish? Someone will know. So if its now worth £40k that's reasonable but not as good as house values.

Intriguingly, £10k 28 years ago would be worth £39,201 today, assuming a conservative estimate of 5% average p.a. inflation over the whole period.

So the £10k paid in 1988 is equivalent to paying £40k now.

Intriguingly, £10k 28 years ago would be worth £39,201 today, assuming a conservative estimate of 5% average p.a. inflation over the whole period.

So the £10k paid in 1988 is equivalent to paying £40k now.

Not very close if this is correct!

£10,000 in 1988 is equivalent to £25,399.25 now.

Edited by alan_fincher

Not very close if this is correct!

£10,000 in 1988 is equivalent to £25,399.25 now.

Excellent link Alan, most interesting.

When I estimated 5% a year on average since 1988, my memory was flawed. I was thinking the period of massive inflation in the last century was caught in those years, but no. I see inflation peaked at 24.2% in 1975 and had faded to 4.9% by 1988.

Bit of a long shot but does anyone know what's the name of the small woolwich butty that's for sale at the bottom of braunston lock??

May be a bit of a project for me.

Many thanks

Darren

Hi Darren

Its Raven ex-Hydrus. If nobody takes it on soon I suspect it will be chopped into two tugs.

You know you have to...!

Paul

Edited by Paul H

Yes, complete with traingular 'cavitation plates' attached either side of the hull just forward of the stern post. Used to be quite common, but I haven't seen any for a while until passing Raven/Hydrus on Friday.

Interesting then!

Where is it advertised?

I bought my first ever bag of coal from Ivor on Mountbatten at braunston turn in 1994 smile.png it was just Mountbatten then.

I like the boats. Does seem quite a lot for a motor and a butty but I am not at all up to date with values. As far as I know Ivor had £10k in a carrier bag when he bought Mountbatten. Don't know when that was - 1990 ish? Someone will know. So if its now worth £40k that's reasonable but not as good as house values.

Jellicoe was bought from BW in 1993(?) for just over a grand. Then lying at Wheelock Wharf,some holes in the hull had been bunged up with concrete. Since repaired to a good standard I believe.

Bill

Jellicoe was bought from BW in 1993(?) for just over a grand. Then lying at Wheelock Wharf,some holes in the hull had been bunged up with concrete. Since repaired to a good standard I believe.

Bill

JELLICOE was sold on 28 November 1992 (photographed by me at Wheelock 11 October 1992 along with DOVER and ASTER), but it was not sold to Ivor Batchelor until October 1999 captain.gif

Is this the boat which was moored just above Cassio Bridge lock on the offside moorings until a few years ago.

Yes captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

I would love to find more history on Violet. There doesn't appear to be much information about.

There is always information 'out there', it all depends upon where you look, who you ask and much you are prepared to put yourself out captain.gif

Are you interested because this is an 'historic' boat or because you a potential purchaser ?

Where have you looked for information so far ?

There is always information 'out there', it all depends upon where you look, who you ask and much you are prepared to put yourself out captain.gif

Are you interested because this is an 'historic' boat or because you a potential purchaser ?

Where have you looked for information so far ?

Interested because of the historic side. Not finding much history and what she was involved in.

Interested because of the historic side. Not finding much history and what she was involved in.

Well this is easy.

VIOLET was built by Thomas Bantock as an un-named (but numbered) cabinless boat that was operated within the Great Western Railway Company fleet out of Withymoor. It was mostly, if not always, either horse drawn or bowhauled and operated between local factories and railway interchange basins carrying general goods.

It appears that this boat entered the Great Western Railway Company fleet in 1908.

Is that enough, and if not you will need to be more specific captain.gif