Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I know Astraea, I did the lettering last year for the owner, Phil added the back cabin decoration soon afterwards. I have to say I was surprised to learn recently that she was up for sale, the owner was mad keen to get out boating when I was working last year. Quite why the situation has changed, I really don't know, fears that health problems may have intervened are groundless. It's a lovely boat, absolute top end workmanship all through.

Dave

I noticed the slightly ambiguous wording of the advert, in that the boat was described as "as new" rather than actually new. So a chap bought it for a large sum of money last year but has already tired of it?

I noticed the slightly ambiguous wording of the advert, in that the boat was described as "as new" rather than actually new. So a chap bought it for a large sum of money last year but has already tired of it?

I believe it is being sold by a lady due to ill health, or at least I'm sure that was the reason given when i first posted a few weeks ago about this boat coming up for sale soon.

But see Dave Moore's post above (no. 1572).

Just a thought, if there was an original small woolwich, that had a new bottom, cabin etc, with the same fit out. Would it be worth more than a replica? My first thought was no as the new boat is completely new but then does a "real" one add value? What would that boat be worth?

Whatever the answer I think that I would boat past Astraea and take a picture thinking it was an old one its that good. The fit-out is pretty amazing as well.

I remember a Josher replica once (dont know who built it) that I actually had the camera ready then could not remember the name being a boat, I think it was Alligator or Crocodile or something like that. It was painted i think in FMC colours as well.

Thoughts?

Just a thought, if there was an original small woolwich, that had a new bottom, cabin etc, with the same fit out. Would it be worth more than a replica? My first thought was no as the new boat is completely new but then does a "real" one add value? What would that boat be worth?

Whatever the answer I think that I would boat past Astraea and take a picture thinking it was an old one its that good. The fit-out is pretty amazing as well.

I remember a Josher replica once (dont know who built it) that I actually had the camera ready then could not remember the name being a boat, I think it was Alligator or Crocodile or something like that. It was painted i think in FMC colours as well.

Thoughts?

I think it is Alligator and I last saw it somewhere on the Leicester section above Watford locks.

Too close a copy for my liking. IIRC it had details like registration numbers from a former FMC boat.

George ex nb Alton retired

I think it is Alligator and I last saw it somewhere on the Leicester section above Watford locks.

Too close a copy for my liking. IIRC it had details like registration numbers from a former FMC boat.

ALLIGATOR was built by Roger Fuller, and has all the relevant numbers for exF.M.C. Ltd. AVIS - and why the name ALLIGATOR, well this was the name under which AVIS was first constructed according to the records of W.J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd. (and CRANE was initially constructed as CROCODILE).

The confusion then lies in that AVIS is still extant as a full length boat captain.gif

It is now quite common for modern 'replica' narrow boats to take the names / identity of similar boats that have been broken up, and sometimes this can be misleading to enthusiasts.

ALLIGATOR was built by Roger Fuller, and has all the relevant numbers for exF.M.C. Ltd. AVIS - and why the name ALLIGATOR, well this was the name under which AVIS was first constructed according to the records of W.J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd. (and CRANE was initially constructed as CROCODILE).

The confusion then lies in that AVIS is still extant as a full length boat captain.gif

It is now quite common for modern 'replica' narrow boats to take the names / identity of similar boats that have been broken up, and sometimes this can be misleading to enthusiasts.

Thanks for that Pete.

These modern replicas normally give themselves away. The owners are not normally willing to take a 14lb sledgehammer to the hull to get that genuine 80 year old look.

Thanks for that Pete.

These modern replicas normally give themselves away. The owners are not normally willing to take a 14lb sledgehammer to the hull to get that genuine 80 year old look.

Ain't that the truth

I suspect that's build cost plus a small percent if that. It's simple some of us want the real thing regardless and put up with rust dents and maintainance, inconvenience and poverty. Some want the real thing but put up with fakes, in some cases like a wolex off a market stall. A very few go to the best and commission the nearest they can get. I suspect adestrea fits that mould, as does hasty, lovely lovely modern works of history. Nothing wrong in that. I just feel sorry for the owner who having spent many years with work in progress has been unable to fulfill her dream. I'd buy it if I could afford it

It's choice really isn't it, we are all so very different even if we don't admit it even to ourselves.

On the choice of boats, I've done a lot of thinking about that one and have come to a conclusion that holds true for me . I've had the most fun with old boats, I'm not sure why but it's just how it is .

I'm always pleased to see a quality new build , Im glad we can still manufacture something good and fit for purpose . I'm happy the skills still exist to do so and long may this continue.

Astraea is a beautiful boat

• 2 weeks later...

That's interesting. I was told by the owner at the back end of last year that they were categorically not for sale. I wonder what's prompted him to sell? I seem to recall CRT were paying some attention to them.

You could get yourself a nice pair there, just think of the BCN Challenge bonus points.

That's interesting. I was told by the owner at the back end of last year that they were categorically not for sale. I wonder what's prompted him to sell? I seem to recall CRT were paying some attention to them.

I was told the same when I contacted the owner too!