Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

About thermometers...anyone who knows were to find the glass inserts for the older style of themometers.

I tried to add a Picture but with no luck.

It´s a glass tube 90mm long and 15mm diameter and range is 0-120 degree Celsius.

Merry christmas

Christian

About thermometers...anyone who knows were to find the glass inserts for the older style of themometers.

It´s a glass tube 90mm long and 15mm diameter and range is 0-120 degree Celsius.

Merry christmas

Christian

Hi

I have purchased some replacement inserts from a helpful supplier in Scotland - will find details and get back to you - possibly after the holiday.

Merry Christmas

L

Hi

I have purchased some replacement inserts from a helpful supplier in Scotland - will find details and get back to you - possibly after the holiday.

Merry Christmas

L

If Leo cannot help, it sounds like the sort of thing you could get from a laboratory equipment supplier.

George ex nb Alton retired

Merry christmas

Christian

Brannan's supply complete thermometers and provide a wide range of glass inserts should you break one, as I sadly know.

82-053-0.jpg

Merry Christmas to all

Brannan's supply complete thermometers and provide a wide range of glass inserts should you break one, as I sadly know.

Merry Christmas to all

hi,

Brannans is the company i was looking for - Scotland/ Cumbria I knew it was somewhere up North, what's a country amongst friends!!..

If buying a whole unit make sure it's a brass one (if that is what you want) as some are in a coated neoprene holder (will fit Gardners).

If buying a glass insert it's worth buying a spare.... you probably won't use it -- don't ask how I know.....

L

L

I'd sail up the coast in my 60ft narrowboat to take a look at it, but I'm too busy trying to fit 100ft ft of plastic poo pipe to my roof as part of my integrated solar central heating and waste disposal system.

I'd sail up the coast in my 60ft narrowboat to take a look at it, but I'm too busy trying to fit 100ft ft of plastic poo pipe to my roof as part of my integrated solar central heating and waste disposal system.

interesting - you may well be able to use the methane generated for cooking heating purposes........ Happy New year.

OK, so who beat me to the thermometer on ebay.......... didn't really want it but would have been a nice decoration.

L

Comedy price though, £5k+ for an unrestored J4 and given the location!

I bet there are no bids....

MtB

OK, so who beat me to the thermometer on ebay.......... didn't really want it but would have been a nice decoration.

L

I have to admit, it wasn't me.

MtB

You must make a note in your diary to post that again on 1/4/2014. ;-)

They've been on since the dawn of time. Terribly tempting though, given my recent conversion to the delights of three cylinder motors....

They look awfully similar to DB3s... Do you think it's a listing error?

MtB

P.S. it's Gleniffer!

They've been on since the dawn of time. Terribly tempting though, given my recent conversion to the delights of three cylinder motors....

They look awfully similar to DB3s... Do you think it's a listing error?

MtB

P.S. it's Gleniffer!

The DC is the big brother of the DB series. Its cylinders are 6" bore x 7" stroke, as opposed to the 4.75" x 6" of the DB series

It was made in 3,4,6 and 8 cylinder in-line and 12 & 16 V variants.

I have a picture of a DCV 16 - 320 hp, a mere 12' 6" long and weighing a bit less than 6 tonnes!

Chris G

Edited to add - it is a pretty poor photo - just a side view, which makes it look like a straight 8 engine, and of the side without all the gubbins on it. The only impressive thing is the length/height ratio!

Edited by Batavia

The DC is the big brother of the DB series. Its cylinders are 6" bore x 7" stroke, as opposed to the 4.75" x 6" of the DB series

I have a picture of a DCV 16 - 320 hp, a mere 12' 6" long and weighing a bit less than 6 tonnes!

Chris G

I remember being shown round an engine room where the installed power was a DCV16- It was in a Trent barge at Nottingham where the original engine would have been rather less obtrusive. The engine had been a hospital standby generator . I wonder if this installation still exists? ( It was nearly 40 years ago)

Bill

Chris G

Edited to add - it is a pretty poor photo - just a side view, which makes it look like a straight 8 engine, and of the side without all the gubbins on it. The only impressive thing is the length/height ratio!

There the ones that MPS rescued from the scrapyard. Better picture here - click for more info.

Gleniffer_DC3_engine_002.jpg

Richard is quite right that we (MPS) rescued these from the scrap men. We recovered them from a motor yacht the "Petrellen" which once belonged to the Thornycroft family of Vosper Thornycroft shipbuilding fame. They were installed new in 1935 to replace some paraffin engines. The boat has been converted to a houseboat and had not been to sea since 1971. The biggest space on the vessel was the engine room which contained the two Glennifers, a Lister genset and a P4 Perkins to run the air start charge compressor. Both the Glennifers turn easily even after all these years of idleness. They weigh 1.87 tonnes each. Petrellen was commandeered by the Royal Navy during World War Two and is rumoured to have been used on clandestine runs to Norway as well as more mundane patrol duties.

Although not of direct interest to us we did not want to see them scrapped and hope to home them with an enthusiast who would appreciate them for what they are. We have had interest in them from as far away as Australia but would prefer them to stay in the UK, hopefully in a working vessel of some kind. We will sell them "as and where lying" or fully restored as we are not fussed either way.

If we do sell them we might use the funds to bring in a 1922 Gardner 2VT we know of which is lying around in Argentina. wink.png