Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

I have mentioned old engines on ebay twice now to soldthehouse only to have 'im say 'corblimey, I'd have bought that had I known', so I'm starting a thread for the old/vintage engines I see going through on eBay. Just to be clear, I'm not the seller of any of the listings I might link to, I'm just doing it because I think peeps on here might be interested in some of them.

Here's a Lister 3-pot air cooled, I dunno what it is exactly and nor does the vendor... Currently at £375 with four days to go.

And here's a Kelvin P4currently at £109 with six days to go!

And there is a couple of Gardner 2LWs on apolloduck at the mo too....

And a Kingfisher KD14 for £500

I have mentioned old engines on ebay twice now to soldthehouse only to have 'im say 'corblimey, I'd have bought that had I known', so I'm starting a thread for the old/vintage engines I see going through on eBay. Just to be clear, I'm not the seller of any of the listings I might link to, I'm just doing it because I think peeps on here might be interested in some of them.

Here's a Lister 3-pot air cooled, I dunno what it is exactly and nor does the vendor... Currently at £375 with four days to go.

What fun saves me some legwork thanks Mike. That P4 is nice to look at but spent its former life at sea so internal corrosion may cancel out any expenditure on expensive whirly bits :captain:

What fun saves me some legwork thanks Mike. That P4 is nice to look at but spent its former life at sea so internal corrosion may cancel out any expenditure on expensive whirly bits :captain:

Not enough power for you either, even with it's 4 cylinders.

Casp'

Have a look in the Sales and Wanted listing on this forum and you will also see a Lister FR1 I am selling for a friend (as well as a BUKH single cylinder).

George ex nb Alton retired

That's extremely public spirited of you Mike!

However I thought I'd mention that anyone who's an eBay member can set up a "saved search" using a suitable search string and other attributes. eBay will then email you as soon as a relevant item listing begins.

I've been alerted to all sorts of goodies that I really don't need. Some for the boat but mostly for obscure old radios to add to the collection!

It works really well.

Richard

Next up for your delectation.... A couple of interesting Ruston & Hornsbys on The Duck...

A twin cylinder air cooled 2YWA MK2

And a monster 2YWM. Monster price too, at £7.5k, although it looks to be in very nice condition. But that could easily be paint engineering!!

Not really a monster. The camera angle & the flywheel housing do make it look quite substantial, though.

Tim

The monster is a modern monster, it's an Indian-made Greaves; he reckons that it's as new and has been stored from new. What does a brand new Greaves cost these days? I think that Longboat Engineering still import them.

The monster is a modern monster, it's an Indian-made Greaves; he reckons that it's as new and has been stored from new. What does a brand new Greaves cost these days? I think that Longboat Engineering still import them.

The way its mounted on a frame and wired up suggests it has been used as a demonstrator, even if it hasn't been used in a boat.

Longboat Engineering's website used to give details of the various models they supplied, but its been reworked to just a home page and contact page, and though they say they were appointed as UK distributor for Greaves, they now only seem to offer a repair and spares service.

David

The way its mounted on a frame and wired up suggests it has been used as a demonstrator, even if it hasn't been used in a boat.

Longboat Engineering's website used to give details of the various models they supplied, but its been reworked to just a home page and contact page, and though they say they were appointed as UK distributor for Greaves, they now only seem to offer a repair and spares service.

David

So is it Longboat Engineering who are offering these engines on the Duck? Seems quite likely.

Tim

Given the Northants address it's quite possible. Perhaps the Greaves does not comply with the new emissions laws, so Longboat (Phil somebody - I keep thinking Jupitus but it's not!) is not allowed to offer brand-new ones for sale.

Under the RCD regulation engines produced in series (on a production line) of any age of original or modern design must be submitted for and pass the relevant emissions regulations before they can be fitted to a water craft. The cost of submission and testing alone, never mind whether the engine could actually pass the emission limits, are so high that it is not worth submitting an old design, relatively low boat-volume-sales engine for testing. This is why engines such as the Diezal Rigalis (spelling?) and the Greaves couldn't continue to be sold for nbs because they were produced in series.

You can thank a mate of mine (supported by myself) for getting the originally worded RCD amended, to allow restored old engines to be exempted from those regs and past the EU Parliament's RCD regs. The original proposal was to prohibit any any engine, historic or not, from being used in a new craft if it hadn't been emissions tested and proved compliant. We also got the requirement for pass-by noise testing removed from the original RCD requirements for displacement craft such as narrow boats.

And it all came about by pure luck when the then makers of Russell Newbery approached me when I was working at Lister Petters (this was late 1998/early 1999) and asked what it would cost to hire our emissions lab. When I asked them what they wanted it for, the whole story of the impending legislation came out and I was able to alert my mate (who lives in Belgium and has good contacts within the EU Parliament) and we started the ball rolling to amend the proposed legislation to allow the use of historic engines in new-build narrow boats on the grounds of very low volume and the unique historic value of such craft and engines in the UK.

I was particularly concerned at the time as I was just about to have a nb built powered by a restored Gardner so I had a vested interest :o

Roger

A thank you to you and your nate then :cheers:

BTW - The folks say hi. They might catch up with you this Summer, but they've had to curtail cruising plans due to the French water shortages

A thank you to you and your nate then :cheers:

BTW - The folks say hi. They might catch up with you this Summer, but they've had to curtail cruising plans due to the French water shortages

Unfortunately we won't be cruising over there this summer as my wife is undergoing treatment for breast cancer which will keep us here for most of the summer. I'll give them a ring sometime (on mobile or Skype).

Yes, I have seen some pretty early closure of the Canal du Centre announced which might affect them but nothing else yet. I hope that the restrictions aren't going to be more generalised over there. The Centre was closed last year as well.

Roger

Edited by Albion

Edited to correct the spelling of Rigas Diesalis

Nearly: it's Rigas Dizelis (I had one in my last boat).

Thanks for your explanation. I do remember those proposals (I was contemplating having a Gardner in my next boat at the time). I think that my Gardner would have been installed in the boat before the new law would have become law (boat was built 2005/2006) but I also remember the law being amended and softened, thnks to "your mate". Who is he?

Bloody hell Albion, a greenie hardly seems adequate but have one anyway!

And a big THANK YOU from me and no doubt from everyone else who has an interest in vintage diesels.

The main thanks must go to my pal who has the contacts and access within the European Parliament. I was mainly involved by finding out by chance that this legislation was in the offing and helping him by advising on emissions (my background in automotive industry development was useful for that). I do remember attending a meeting in London at the Department of Trade and Industry (IIRC), with other representatives of the inland boat industry, when we were discussing with them the impact this forthcoming EU legislation (if undiluted) would have had on the inland boat industry.

Nearly: it's Rigas Dizelis (I had one in my last boat).

Bugger, yes you're right, must get my brain in gear!!! :(

Thanks for your explanation. I do remember those proposals (I was contemplating having a Gardner in my next boat at the time). I think that my Gardner would have been installed in the boat before the new law would have become law (boat was built 2005/2006) but I also remember the law being amended and softened, thnks to "your mate". Who is he?

He is Mike Clarke (see: http://users.skynet.be/sky34301/index.html). I think your boat would have been caught by the legislation IIRC. Although the process started in 1998 and, thanks to the changes had to go through the committee stage for several attempts at preliminary approval, we had an end date that seemed pretty firm and there was a lot of work to do to sort things in time as the EU wanted to get this legislation through asap. I know that Eddie Baldwin of MCC (one of the builders I approached to quote and possibly build Albion in 1999 ish) refused to take the project on because he was uncertain about the possible legality of fitting my Gardner 4LK to a new build nb.

Another thing that Mike has had eased that would have affected nbs is something called significant wave height. I'm not entirely certain of the details but it was something like all boats, including nbs, having to withstand a constant average wave height of half a metre. He got it changed so that only the odd wave of half a metre had to be withstood and not regular (as constant waves of that height are a rarity on the UK canals :rolleyes: ). The details might be sketchy but the general gist is correct.

Roger

Edited by Albion

Hi Roger, of course I didn't know that Mike Clarke is a mate of yours, as I didn't know you in when I went to see him, and his Northwich Trader in the drydock in Belgium.

Here's a photo of that occasion

1d8e71d726fc5a7044fe97b62c0bbf87.jpg

Peter.

Edited as I discovered I added the wrong photo with my post, it wasn't in 2005 either, I'm afraid I lost track, it was more recent but don't remember the year, what is leftover of my brains is playing up.

Edited by bargemast

The main thanks must go to my pal who has the contacts and access within the European Parliament. I was mainly involved by finding out by chance that this legislation was in the offing and helping him by advising on emissions (my background in automotive industry development was useful for that). I do remember attending a meeting in London at the Department of Trade and Industry (IIRC), with other representatives of the inland boat industry, when we were discussing with them the impact this forthcoming EU legislation (if undiluted) would have had on the inland boat industry.

He is Mike Clarke (see: http://users.skynet.be/sky34301/index.html). I think your boat would have been caught by the legislation IIRC. Although the process started in 1998 and, thanks to the changes had to go through the committee stage for several attempts at preliminary approval, we had an end date that seemed pretty firm and there was a lot of work to do to sort things in time as the EU wanted to get this legislation through asap. I know that Eddie Baldwin of MCC (one of the builders I approached to quote and possibly build Albion in 1999 ish) refused to take the project on because he was uncertain about the possible legality of fitting my Gardner 4LK to a new build nb.

Another thing that Mike has had eased that would have affected nbs is something called significant wave height. I'm not entirely certain of the details but it was something like all boats, including nbs, having to withstand a constant average wave height of half a metre. He got it changed so that only the odd wave of half a metre had to be withstood and not regular (as constant waves of that height are a rarity on the UK canals :rolleyes: ). The details might be sketchy but the general gist is correct.

Roger

Roger,

A big thank you from me as well, to both you and Mike Clarke for what you did to get the RCD interpretation for genuine vintage engine installations modified.

I briefly met Mike back in 2004 (I think) when Kevin Whittle invited him over to speak to members of his Vintage Marine Engine Club at the rally held at Shardlow.

Not many people - even those with old engines in new boats - know much about the efforts that folks like you and he put in behind the scenes and I would otherwise not have been able to declare compliance to the RCD with my 1942 Kelvin in a new hull.

Once or twice, seemingly knowledgeable people on here have posted to advise that the RCD prevents the use of old engines in new boats and I have emailed Mike to get his further advice on these comments. He has always provided clear statements showing the CWDF posts to be wrong.

I hope he is still well and active in Belgium, last time I had news of him he was trying to counteract some of the possible "nasties" expected in the then new TRIW legislation covering longer boats (I think 70 foot NBs could be affected but mine is only 60 foot!).

I sent him an email last summer about something I'd heard re a possible new RCD amendment on emissions but he didn't reply. Should I try him again? I don't want to become a nuisance!!

Richard

Hi Roger, of course I didn't know that Mike Clarke is a mate of yours, as I didn't know you in 2005 when I went to see him, and his Northwich Trader in the drydock in Belgium.

snipped image

Peter.

Well, well, it is a small world. You do get around don't you Peter? Fancy that, being around to see his boat (Sika) there. :cheers:

Like you, I had no idea that you knew him.

Roger,

A big thank you from me as well, to both you and Mike Clarke for what you did to get the RCD interpretation for genuine vintage engine installations modified.

I briefly met Mike back in 2004 (I think) when Kevin Whittle invited him over to speak to members of his Vintage Marine Engine Club at the rally held at Shardlow.

Not many people - even those with old engines in new boats - know much about the efforts that folks like you and he put in behind the scenes and I would otherwise not have been able to declare compliance to the RCD with my 1942 Kelvin in a new hull.

Once or twice, seemingly knowledgeable people on here have posted to advise that the RCD prevents the use of old engines in new boats and I have emailed Mike to get his further advice on these comments. He has always provided clear statements showing the CWDF posts to be wrong.

I hope he is still well and active in Belgium, last time I had news of him he was trying to counteract some of the possible "nasties" expected in the then new TRIW legislation covering longer boats (I think 70 foot NBs could be affected but mine is only 60 foot!).

I sent him an email last summer about something I'd heard re a possible new RCD amendment on emissions but he didn't reply. Should I try him again? I don't want to become a nuisance!!

Richard

If that was the Vintage Marine Engine Club Rally at Shardlow where they held a two minute silence for the recent death of the ex-owner of Kelvin Engines (a guy called Bergius perhaps, but in my old age the memory is fading now) then I was there with Mike. What a small world again!

Yes, he's still alive and kicking. I spoke to him on the phone only the other week and recently helped him review a submission that he was making to the Commission on a further amendment to the Recreational Craft and Personal Watercraft Directive.

There are also some changes involved in the EU Parliament, as you know for the TRIWV (Technical Requirements for Inland Waterways Vessels) regs (the bureaucrats get confused and introduce conflicting or sometimes misleading technical requirements and need someone of his expertise to straighten them out before it becomes law). There was a grey area in differing parts of differing legislation that would have meant that craft between 20 metres and 24 metres would be subject to two differing sets of regs IIRC.

Also recently there has been more confusion about significant wave height and some changes seemed to be bringing back the original figure which would enshrined definitions of waves which would swamp any narrow boat instantly.

Mike keeps a very close watch on what they propose and definitely does get revisions made where there are errors or confusion.

He usually replies to his e-mails so I don't know what happened there (although it could be his advancing old age and senility of course :lol: ..........and please do mention that if you e-mail him again ;) )

Try him again and if that fails let me know and I'll give him a clip round the ear (figuratively, of course)

Roger

Edited by Albion