Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

Something odd about that. The heads are 'back to front', so I suspect a reverse rotation engine, never seen one before though.

Also no oil cups in the rocker covers, but no evidence obvious in the pics of any oil feed to the rocker shafts.

Tim

Something odd about that. The heads are 'back to front', so I suspect a reverse rotation engine, never seen one before though.

Also no oil cups in the rocker covers, but no evidence obvious in the pics of any oil feed to the rocker shafts.

Tim

Just looked again, some more oddities -

The injectors are vertical in the top of the heads, National-style, instead of the usual RN angled arrangement.

Nationals and RNs usually have a door in the side of each head, above the exhaust manifold and above the small water jacket door. Apart from anything else, these help greatly when setting the valve tappets. These heads just have two brass plugs, probably just big enough to pass a valve guide when removed. Setting tappets will be a bit of a pig.

The decompressor levers are in the front or back of the head, National-style, rather than the RN arrangement of having them on the end & moving fore and aft.

Strange.

Tim

Early RN's, D series at least did have vertically mounted injectors before they canted them over a tad on later models. Kevin Whittles A-Z book shows a works drawing of such.

They share the horizontal valve gear/clerestory combustion chamber design with Gleniffer's. But not sure if the exhaust valves can be removed through the inlet side as with the latter, saving having to remove the heads.

Early RN's, D series at least did have vertically mounted injectors before they canted them over a tad on later models. Kevin Whittles A-Z book shows a works drawing of such.

They share the horizontal valve gear/clerestory combustion chamber design with Gleniffer's. But not sure if the exhaust valves can be removed through the inlet side as with the latter, saving having to remove the heads.

OK, maybe it's actually a very early model, if there's one difference then maybe the other small differences also apply to early versions.

The 'old' (1930s) RNs that I've dealt with have not been like that.

Yes they can.

Tim

I don't know if this is of interest to anyone. It's just something I stumbled across.

Junker HK65

Would something like that ever be used in a NB?

I don't think many were imported here, though there was one for sale on ebay UK a couple of years ago, it was on the South coast otherwise I might have been tempted.

2-stroke opposed piston.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I don't know if this is of interest to anyone. It's just something I stumbled across.

Junker HK65

Would something like that ever be used in a NB?

The Grand Union Canal Company wide boat PROGRESS was built in 1934 by Bushell Bros., Tring and was originally fitted with a Junkers diesel engine.

I have done a massive amount of research into all of the 'historic' motor narrow boats ever built / converted and I have not come across any evidence of a Junkers engine ever being fitted either originally or subsequently.

OK, maybe it's actually a very early model, if there's one difference then maybe the other small differences also apply to early versions.

The 'old' (1930s) RNs that I've dealt with have not been like that.

Yes they can.

Tim

Went for nearly 3 grand! I wonder whether the buyer realises how many differences there are from the RNs usually seen.

Looking again, wondered how the flywheel was secured and it rather look like a gib head key on a parallel shaft, while the usual method is held onto a taper with a large nut. It looks like a heavier flywheel than the usual marine ones, not too surprising as it's clearly been a generator engine.

The business of the heads being 'back to front' is fairly simple, if you swap the camshafts round and turn the heads round nothing much else changes, rotation will be the same. It's not quite that simple because the water passages between block & head are not entirely symmetrical, there are seven passages in the engines usually seen.

If that is an early engine, as seems likely, I wonder whether RN made a decision to reverse the heads for the benefit of marine operators, because the (raised) hand start would be on the same side as the exhaust with that layout, not ideal if starting a hot engine.

The normal oil feed to the main bearings is via an external pipe, with hollow studs or banjo bolts carrying the oil down to each main bearing, the exact details of that having changed over the years. That one looks as though it maybe does it via internal drillings. It seems to have a simple (probably gauze) oil strainer, while normally older engines may have an Auto-Klean strainer, later ones either a Vokes felt filter or a throwaway paper element.

Tim

ETA it has a fixed speed governor, and while the external castings are the same, the internals are completely different from the variable speed version.

Also of course the vertical mounting feet should be changed for the horizontal type, for fitting in a boat.

Edited by Timleech

Unusual three cylinder engine here with a generator thrown in. Not sure of power output but probably a tad heavy for a narrowboat.

$_57.JPG

The only reference I can find to the marque is for the LE and M models, but they both use Bryce injection pumps and this appears to have a CAV one.

Also of course the vertical mounting feet should be changed for the horizontal type, for fitting in a boat.

I considered changing the feet on my industrial engine, but ended up just fitting it as it was. It doesn't seem to be a problem, it pretty much stays still.

Casp'