Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

I may be thinking of the wrong motor, but weren't these things regularly found in the cheapest Springers?

I'm sure we have travelled sharing locks with one, and I don't think I recall a slower narrow boat. Of course it may have been mismatched to prop, or had other woes but it couldn't manage 2mph whilst still managing to sound like it was about to self destruct

Never seen one in a Springer. Maybe you're thinking of Ducatis?

Tim

• Greenie 1

Ah yes, thank you. Any connection with the motor bike manufacturer Royal Enfield?

Yes

However, the listing says it was removed from a narrowboat because it was so difficult to start!!

MtB

The same engine was used on trailer gensets used by BBC outside broadcasts. As long as there was a hint of compression the engine would start even from sub zero temperatures with a fresh ether canister. Mechanical sympathy went out of the window as the ether induced explosions, sounding like metal on metal hammered on the piston.

I suspect the boat owner wasn't aware of the cold start pump or didn't have any ether canisters. Nevertheless the engine may already have become addicted to them.

Edited by by'eck

Enfield diesel 16HP at 1800(?). Many were used in small navy boats. They were available about 10 years ago, ex-Admiralty , overhauled and crated up for around £250. We have a couple of them here: one ex 48ft narrowboat, electric start, alternator built into the flywheel, marine gearbox etc. The other is a hand start on a portable(!) DC arc welding set- an absolute pig to start but once it's going it's brilliant . We have some of the ether starter canisters somewhere too, look like those Sparklets CO2 cartridges for making soda water, remember them? I am not suggesting making fizzy water using ether......

Springers did use single cylinder Ducatis in some of their smaller boats, fairly horrible things in my limited experience, would fit with Alan's description.

Tim

Yes,

I'm well aware of the horrible Ducatis, but I know I have travelled with an underpowered Springer witha Royal Enfield. Perhaps not original fit, I accept, so my claim that they might have been common is quite probably wrong.

Strangely I have never really come across the 10HP Sabb in a Springer, that I can recall, though I have seen them in several other small narrow boats. (I think the small UCC hire boats may still have them, but perhaps not?).

Yes,

I'm well aware of the horrible Ducatis, but I know I have travelled with an underpowered Springer witha Royal Enfield.

the Enfield diesel engines were built by the Enfield Industrial Engine company, a sub-division of Royal Enfield

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net/t595-enfield-diesel

Richard

Strangely I have never really come across the 10HP Sabb in a Springer, that I can recall, though I have seen them in several other small narrow boats. (I think the small UCC hire boats may still have them, but perhaps not?).

I have driven two Springers, a 26 footer and a 36 footer, which had those Sabbs. Both seemed to be adequately powered.

Yes, I think Union Canal carriers do have a couple of boats which are fitted with them.

A couple of years ago I encountered a twin-cylinder Sabb which was powering a 54-foot Springer. It sounded as if it was mounted in a dustbin, so hollow and reverberating was the noise which it emitted.

....though stated to be not running and for spares, a pity as externally it looks in quite good condition.

Well, having been grit blasted it'll need a complete strip down and internal clean, especially as the crankcase door looks as though it is perforated.

'For spares' is just to cover himself against comebacks, standard wording in this sort of context.

Of course, it might also be to cover himself against some fundamental flaw which he's pretending not to be aware of...

Tim

Strangely I have never really come across the 10HP Sabb in a Springer, that I can recall, though I have seen them in several other small narrow boats.

Did someone say Sabb... I had one in my 43' narrowboat for 11 years and I liked it. It chugged along fine on canals, slower than other boats but I managed to get about. It was a great engine, started whatever the weather and ran all day on very little fuel. I only changed it for a twin when I refitted the boat and gained an engine room and back cabin.

Casp'

Some times you just gotta take a punt wink.png

........ all he's saying is that he's never had it running.

It's a nice power output for a 60 - 70 footer

After shot blasting its bound to look ok. I would take a guess that the blasting material used was harsher than needed so may have taken away some perfectly good metal. Nevertheless if the price is right, as you suggest, what have you got to loose.

Nice package with an engine and reduction gearbox that has all the right attributes for a small trad narrowboat. Petter AV2 twin, 13 bhp @ 2000 rpm, water cooled, external flywheel, hand start, alternator.

$_12.JPG

Nice package with an engine and reduction gearbox that has all the right attributes for a small trad narrowboat. Petter AV2 twin, 13 bhp @ 2000 rpm, water cooled, external flywheel, hand start, alternator.

$_12.JPG

That looks the spitting image of my PH2W.

However, the listing says it was removed from a narrowboat because it was so difficult to start!!

MtB

One mans 'hard to start' is another mans fun!

That looks the spitting image of my PH2W.

One mans 'hard to start' is another mans fun!

Our first boat had a Petter PH2 and indeed there is a resemblance. I recall that ours had a maximum rpm of 1800 and was rated at 15 h.p. so I guess there was some internal difference.

The PH2 has larger bore but same stroke as AV2 hence 16.4 bhp @ the same 2000 rpm

I guess that's why it looks exactly the same. I'm sure mine is 18hp but I'm not sure what RPM that is at.

Was yours air cooled or water cooled Athy? I wonder if that makes a difference to the HP?

I guess that's why it looks exactly the same. I'm sure mine is 18hp but I'm not sure what RPM that is at.

Was yours air cooled or water cooled Athy? I wonder if that makes a difference to the HP?

It was not unusual for manufacturers to offer different governer options on the same basic engine hence some may be down rated to 1800 rpm where they will produce less hp but with more reliability.

Both Petter AV2 and PH2W have air cooled equivalents (AVA2 & PH2) with exactly the same quoted bhp.