Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

Thank's for the history on it Geoff. I've read that Dorman's were sponsored by the Admiralty in WWII. Kevin Whittle reckons the output was 100 bhp (at 2300 rpm) as well.

It seems Dorman's were unlucky with V8's - they designed, built and tested a V8 aero engine before the outbreak of WW1 but it was never put into production.

Will people please stop putting links up to Preston Services web site

There are way to many shiny things on there that I need would like

Just look at the prices, that should convince you

Richard

I think it is, yes.

It is, but the L2 is less powerful, being lower speed, than the LW. Also it was fitted to do a serious job of work. There are one or two modern-type pleasure narrowboats with 5 & 6 LW fitted, daft IMHO.

Tim

Here's a Bargain IMO

I have a P4 in one of my boats its fabulous being the cast iron piston slow running version it clatters away beautifully. Not pretty but a very good engine apparently the MoD bought loads of them when they first came out

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=191147151765&globalID=EBAY-GB

Only problem is it appears to be from a fishing boat = salt water. Oh dear

Here's a Bargain IMO

I have a P4 in one of my boats its fabulous being the cast iron piston slow running version it clatters away beautifully. Not pretty but a very good engine apparently the MoD bought loads of them when they first came out

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=191147151765&globalID=EBAY-GB

Only problem is it appears to be from a fishing boat = salt water. Oh dear

It does seem to have indirect cooling, so the engine itself ought to be OK as regards salt water.

The exchangers themselves might be 'tired' by now, especially if any internal anodes have not been maintained.

It's not a Borg Warner box in the pictures, it's a Self-Changing Gears MR10A or similar, so far as I can see.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Lister Petter HRW2 here, YELLOW, ffs!

$_1.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lister-Petter-29-5-HP-diesel-engine-HRW2-Good-working-order-low-usage/111332315835?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222003%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D22312%26meid%3D6578094436332855547%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D9701%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D321391021484&rt=nc

Is this the same thing as a nice green vintage Lister HRW2? If so it looks like a bit of a bargain. Might bid on it to put straight into Reg while the Gleniffer gets re-built. Any views, anyone?

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Well, (pedant mode!), I would say it is a Lister, not a Lister Petter.

Seems to be a 1973 engine based on serial number, and Lister and Petter were not a joint company then, surely?

I'm no expert, but presumably those engine mounts are not suitable for a typical narrow boat installation, so would need to be changed if it is to go between the typical bearers of something like "Reg".

No clues about gearbox, which looks very lightweight for the application. Is it reducing / reversing, and would the fact it doesn't apparently drop the shaft lower than the engine crankshaft make it unsuitable?

If the hours are as low as stated, the usual concern that it might have imbibed lots of sea water would seem not to apply, (and anyway it has a heat exchanger, I think, so the salty water will not have gone through the engine itself).

But even if it needs new engine mounts and a completely different box, it currently seems to be way undervalued, I would have thought? I'd expect it to take off before the auction ends. ("Sickle" is not set up for water cooled or I might bid against you!).

However, I bet someone like Chris B or Tim Leech could tell you all the things I've got wrong!

The colour would be a talking point, if nothing else, (Vetus look-alike?).

Thanks Alan. Good points about the mountings and the transmission.

Transmission looks far too weedy for that engine in the pics, and may well be 1:1 given the stated original use and as you suggest, may not be reversing. So that will mean a load more munny spending on it, along with the essential respray.

MtB

that will mean a load more munny spending on it, along with the essential respray.

MtB

We think of Listers as being green, but were they all outshopped in that colour? Gardners are thought of as being grey but I have heard that they would paint it in any hue which the customer required (including green or red apparently). Maybe, just maybe, that yellow is a rare authentic livery, akin to the terrier tank engines in GWR colours.

Alan, I think that Lister absorbed Petter some time in the 1980s. I will check in Kevin Whittle's Vintage Marine Engines book and see if he gives a date.

EDIT: Mr. Whittle says that Petter had become part of Lister "by 1985".

Edited by Athy

It's a Borg Warner Velvet Drive box, which was a standard offering on the later HR engines I think so would expect it to be adequate.

You'd need to check what reduction, if any, it includes.

Certainly a bargain if the description is correct and if it doesn't go much higher.

Tim

Certainly a bargain if the description is correct and if it doesn't go much higher.

Well if it were the air cooled engine, I think I would be seriously interested if the price doesn't take off massively.

Even if you had to mate it up with a suitable PRM reduction box, it still sounds like an excellent way of buying what on the face of it is an almost unused version of one of the best work-horses around. Spares availability good, and virtually bullet-proof.

And they can sound "right" as a working boat engine.

But I really don't want to get into raw water cooling - on a boat like ours, the air-cooled is just so much easier. particularly as nothing remains in place in connection with former raw water cooling arrangements.

I think that might go a lot higher than £1100..

Lovely unit and if history is true its a gem IMO

I used to go crabbing at Blakeney when I was little :)

Do they paint it yellow so you can see it better in poor light ?

I think that might go a lot higher than £1100..

Lovely unit and if history is true its a gem IMO

I used to go crabbing at Blakeney when I was little smile.png

Do they paint it yellow so you can see it better in poor light ?

Fairly clear that it's been sprayed yellow to smarten it up for sale.

Tim