Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

£1,650.

Unless they are telling porkies, that sounds like a very good deal to whoever got it.

Is it you Mike?

Yep!

Next step is to find out if I really have a bargain or a pile of yellow-sprayed junk!

What might I inspect at on collection to assess whether it really IS as young as the 39 hours claimed?

MtB

Well done!

You must have been hovering over your computer - I had a look at the bids and I see that somebody placed a bid only about half a minute before you, and that you got yours in with just six seconds to spare. What Stephen Potter would call "brinkmanship" I think.

Well done!

You must have been hovering over your computer - I had a look at the bids and I see that somebody placed a bid only about half a minute before you, and that you got yours in with just six seconds to spare. What Stephen Potter would call "brinkmanship" I think.

Yeah well, the other bloke was clearly sitting at his PC outbidding anyone and everyone!

MtB

P.S. I was also hoping the other bod wasn't a CWFer too, who saw my original post pointing out this engine!!

Look at the oil on all dispsticks. If it's only 39 hours hold it should still be pretty light coloured (some carbon in the engine oil, much less darkening in the gearbox). See what the compression feels like on the 'andle. It should come up pretty solid on both cylinders without much speed of wind. Listen for gurgles and hissing as it hits compression.

Not much else I can think of, especially since it's had a DeVilbiss rebuild!

N

And outrageously unethical.

Ok it was Auctionstealer smile.png

I was mending a boiler at the time and it would have been rude to have the lappy out in the customer's kitchen...and it went close to the top end of my range. I told Auctionstealer to bid up to £1685 and I won in for £1650!

I'd have gone higher with a better statement of history, and without the yellow respray :)

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

But I like the yellow..... You should keep it that colour, then in a couple of years when Jennifer is done.....

I have to agree it is gloriously incongruous.

No idea if I'll actually get it. Seller is silent as the grave. No response so far to my request for a collection address!

MtB

I have to agree it is gloriously incongruous.

No idea if I'll actually get it. Seller is silent as the grave. No response so far to my request for a collection address!

MtB

Keep the yellow and I might well buy it off you in a bit once Jenny's done! Assuming he lets you get it...

Good steal Mike. I hope it's the deal that it appears to be.

Now you have to get over to the East coast, get it back and in to Reg ready for the challenge before the end of the month

Simples

You and I should manage that in a day, easy!

Are you free tomorrow?

:)

MtB

You and I should manage that in a day, easy!

Are you free tomorrow?

smile.png

MtB

Going to Plymouth tomorrow to look at a boat

But I'm sure we could sort it out over the rest of the Bank Holiday weekend

cheers.gif

Ok here's the schedule. We drive up to norfolk on Sunday morning to collect the engine, leaving at 3am. Get it back to the towpath at Lapworth by 2pm. By 3pm we've cut the soft patch in the roof, unbolted the Gleniffer and press ganged a load of softie towpath walkers into lifting it out.

By 4pm we've dragged the Lister 1/2 mile along the towpath from the car park and measured up for the new engine beds. 6pm sees us finishing off welding them in and by 7 we've got the HRW2 in the boat and bolted down. 8pm sees us measuring up for the new prop shaft and by 9pm Bizzard has made it for us. Now a quick dip in with a waterproof torch and a big spanner to change the blade to RH and we're done!

That all seem feasible, you reckon?

MtB

On the other hand, I might just keep the Gleniffer in Reg until after the BCN Challenge!

Ok here's the schedule. We drive up to norfolk on Sunday morning to collect the engine, leaving at 3am. Get it back to the towpath at Lapworth by 2pm. By 3pm we've cut the soft patch in the roof, unbolted the Gleniffer and press ganged a load of softie towpath walkers into lifting it out.

By 4pm we've dragged the Lister 1/2 mile along the towpath from the car park and measured up for the new engine beds. 6pm sees us finishing off welding them in and by 7 we've got the HRW2 in the boat and bolted down. 8pm sees us measuring up for the new prop shaft and by 9pm Bizzard has made it for us. Now a quick dip in with a waterproof torch and a big spanner to change the blade to RH and we're done!

That all seem feasible, you reckon?

MtB

On the other hand, I might just keep the Gleniffer in Reg until after the BCN Challenge!

Michael. pick me up at 2.47 ACK EMMA,will show how it is achieved!

No ,Hang on,my Bird is appearing at 11 A.M. ring Virgil and Tracy instead.

CT

Michael. pick me up at 2.47 ACK EMMA,will show how it is achieved!

No ,Hang on,my Bird is appearing at 11 A.M. ring Virgil and Tracy instead.

CT

Typical. Such a lightweight...

Actually, is your bird any good at lifting or welding??

:D

Mtb

If they plan it right, and don't have a rest break until 8am Sunday, it'll only have to start once!

True! We were toying with the idea of using our compulsory 6 hour break right at the start to get to know the single malts we are taking, then just cruising for 24 hours solid.

Might just, in the interim, make it to the tug weekend. Not that I have a ticket. They might let me in if I hang around outside though on Monday! :D

MtB

Typical. Such a lightweight...

Actually, is your bird any good at lifting or welding??

biggrin.png

Mtb

Lifting yes,welding not so good,she chews the rods once she realises they are not sparklers!

A Danish Irish mix Can be useful,especially for Pillaging and Vending Bacon Butties.....

Don't ask me how I know this..........

CT