Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

This CAV pump has just been reduced.....doesn't say what sort of Ruston it fitted...if it really has been recon then it's a good price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C-A-V-Reconditioned-Fuel-Pump-BPE4B65Q300-3S69-Ruston-Hornsby-/181311840667?ssPageName=ADME:X:PROI:GB:1120

Cheers

Gareth

Same place I bought the CAV BPE2B75W100S6471 injection pump from for my JP2. I note they have now sold the second one they had.

Incidentally following some scepticism, research by myself and Martyn from MPS discovered this is the exact version for later JP & JK2's, following a spec change in the 1950's brought on probably by the imminent introduction of JS and JK versions.

• 3 weeks later...

As fitted in HM war canoes' 27ft Motor Whaler and the 32 ft Cutter in the early 70's. Noisy, hard to start when cold, reliable once you get them going. No real provision for attaching ducting to take out the cooling air IIRC. No idea what bits are like to get hold of.

N

It's a simple mechanical clutch. Not usually needed for a genset, but all sorts of other kit might have wanted one.

Edit - looking more closely, it might well have been a marine auxiliary, with a generator on one end and a pump on the other.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Looks to me like its just an "industrial" clutch

Tim beat me to it !

I guess you need the shaft to put the starting handle on but I wonder if that lot started life as one unit or came

together "later in life". If the generator really is 3-4KVa then there isn't going to be a lot of spare hp to send

through the clutch to anything else.

springy

Water in sump could be from the waterpump, if it's direct drive and not belt driven.

MP.

Driven from the end of the camshaft, but there should be a drain opening in the bottom of the pump body, between pump and drive, to allow any leakage from pump to escape.

Tim

Water in sump could be from the waterpump, if it's direct drive and not belt driven.

MP.

Driven from the end of the camshaft, but there should be a drain opening in the bottom of the pump body, between pump and drive, to allow any leakage from pump to escape.

Tim

I was thinking along the lines of the mentioned of overheating.

I like the HRW series seeming to me the natural progression from the JP/JK series for use in a narrowboat. Water-cooled with a tad more grunt than the popular HA/B/W series due to slightly larger bore. I understand spares are a little more difficult to come by though.

The head gaskets only seal the combustion chambers and not any water passages, so I wouldn't think it could be that. More likely a cracked head or cylinder, or water jacket rusted through into a cylinder. I've had this happen twice with subsequent over heating and sump/reduction gearbox overflowing with emulsified oil and water.

• 3 weeks later...

Would this be a first if fitted to a canal boat?

$_12.JPG

Appears not to be a semi-diesel although a two stroke. Oil feed seems to be gravity only with no timed pump.

If you look below the two (presumed) fuel pump stop/start/?prime levers, there's a distributor pump for the lube oil, fed from the cylindrical tank on the side.

It will be total loss lubrication.

The vendor suggests Dutch manufacture, I have a feeling they were French but could easily be wrong.

Edit - there was one on ebay some months ago, semi-derelict, conceivably the same one, I would have bid on it if I had nothing else to do...

Tim

Edited by Timleech

If you look below the two (presumed) fuel pump stop/start/?prime levers, there's a distributor pump for the lube oil, fed from the cylindrical tank on the side.

It will be total loss lubrication.

The vendor suggests Dutch manufacture, I have a feeling they were French but could easily be wrong.

Edit - there was one on ebay some months ago, semi-derelict, conceivably the same one, I would have bid on it if I had nothing else to do...

Tim

Yes got it now thanks - the cylindrical thing with tiny hand crank.

Yes got it now thanks - the cylindrical thing with tiny hand crank.

Yes, the hand crank is for pre-start oiling.

There will be individual feeds to main bearings and cylinder walls, and ring oilers for the big ends unless they are fed via the mains.

Tim

This could be a bargain for someone. No flash paint overhaul for a change. Note the plunger device which takes an ether canister to provide cold start adrenalin injection direct to the heart of the engine ohmy.png Very cruel but it never fails.

$_1.JPG

Gearbox appears to have direct drive belt pulley as well.

This could be a bargain for someone. No flash paint overhaul for a change. Note the plunger device which takes an ether canister to provide cold start adrenalin injection direct to the heart of the engine ohmy.pngVery cruel but it never fails.

However, the listing says it was removed from a narrowboat because it was so difficult to start!!

MtB

This could be a bargain for someone. No flash paint overhaul for a change. Note the plunger device which takes an ether canister to provide cold start adrenalin injection direct to the heart of the engine ohmy.png Very cruel but it never fails.

$_1.JPG

Gearbox appears to have direct drive belt pulley as well.

However, the listing says it was removed from a narrowboat because it was so difficult to start!!

MtB

I may be thinking of the wrong motor, but weren't these things regularly found in the cheapest Springers?

I'm sure we have travelled sharing locks with one, and I don't think I recall a slower narrow boat. Of course it may have been mismatched to prop, or had other woes but it couldn't manage 2mph whilst still managing to sound like it was about to self destruct