What a great group of people..........

Chagall

Featured Posts

That was my first thought, when I read it, but surely the great vowel shift predates the colonisation of Australia by 200 years?

It depends which historians you believe. Many reckon it was still ongoing into the late 19th century.

Lurcher, but definitely much loved and tripedal.

Tommy was found by the police hanging from a tree severely beaten, in the grounds of Woburn Abbey.

He was taken to the marvellous rescue centre, at Apsley Guise and was put in the "Unrehomable" row of kennels.

I was driving round Bucks, feeling very sorry for myself, and for no real reason drove up the rescue centre's drive, rather than past it.

I'd just split up with my ex and she'd got custody of my dogs so I missed canine company but didn't really want another. By the time I'd had a look round I'd changed my mind but was told there was a waiting list.

"Well can I have him?", pointing out Tommy, who caught my eye because his row of dogs consisted of huge animals hurling themselves at the gates with a "I'm going to eat you!" look in their eyes whereas Tommy was cowering in the corner of his cage with a "I'm terrified so I'll bite you." snarl.

After a month of travelling to Apsley, to walk the dogs (specifically Tommy) I persuaded them that Tommy should qualify for rehabilitation and they let me take him home.

After a week of hiding under the dining table he finally realised that he'd never be hit again and settled down to be a wonderful friend.

We'll get another dog but I don't think I'll have another.

The next dog will be a family pet, Tommy was always mine.

Back on topic though, the number of messages of sympathy and support here (including PMs from people who most would think dislike me intensely) show me that my list of nicest people would always be incomplete.

I am most grateful.

Ay up Yorkie, sorry about the news, keep chin up, been there and worn the t shirt. All my dogs have been rescue ones, including Kane who I have now.

There will be another (family) dog out there waiting for a good home.

Nigel

Sorry to hear about your doggie Carl :( We had to have ours 17 year old Dobbie/whippet/collie combination dog, Pip, put to sleep in March - she was also kind of a rescue dog, having turned up in our garden as a 4 month old puppy! We told the police and local vets, but no one claimed her. She was such an affectionate and characterful dog who was around for half my lifetime, so it was very tough when she went (though not unexpected as she'd been gradually declining for a while).

Plenty of great memories to look back on though :)

Pip.jpg

I'm probably being uncharacteristically sentimental because I had to have my wonderful dog put down, tonight.

Our labrador Rosie died 2 1/2 years ago. She was born 3 days after my elder daughter, so was very much part of the children's growing up, and we still miss her. After she died I put up this tribute.

Rosie.jpg

David

Back on topic though, the number of messages of sympathy and support here (including PMs from people who most would think dislike me intensely) show me that my list of nicest people would always be incomplete.

Only just picked up on your sad news Carl, I feel for you. Kipling's "The Power of the Dog" is one of the most heart wrenching poems I know, and came to my mind the last time I had to let one of my cats go. Your tale of rescue I think, qualifies you to go on your own list, you certainly are on my (long and incomplete) list of compassionate people.

'Tis the truth thou speakest.

That's not Elizabethan, it's just a lancashire accent on a bad day

not really fair to name as I'm bound to leave someone off and they make think they are not as nice/gorgeous/friendly/compassionate as those I have named, whereas in practice I've just forgotten them. I've particular reason to be thankful to Richard and Bazza for assistance offered recently, Odana I knew from before being a member of this site. Smelly and Bagpuss I always look forward to meeting, and I've a huge amount of respect for the work they do. Luctor is a friend away from the board. We meet up with Wriggles from time to time, a number of people here are also facebook friends although sometimes working that out can be difficult, I mean, how was I supposed to know real life name of Purple Fairy! Phylis and I exchange professional information and so on, I'm sure we'll meet her someday. Blackrose let me steer his boat a couple of times, he's a great chap. I've met others and not mentioned them I know. I'd be happy to bump into most people from here but the top two never met/like to meet are Chris Pink (We've enough mutual acquaintances I'm surprised our paths haven't crossed) and Roxy, closely followed by Carlt, Smudge and Purple, Mayalld... oh sod it, I give up

Edited by magpie patrick

Lurcher, but definitely much loved and tripedal.

Tommy was found by the police hanging from a tree severely beaten, in the grounds of Woburn Abbey.

He was taken to the marvellous rescue centre, at Apsley Guise and was put in the "Unrehomable" row of kennels.

I was driving round Bucks, feeling very sorry for myself, and for no real reason drove up the rescue centre's drive, rather than past it.

I'd just split up with my ex and she'd got custody of my dogs so I missed canine company but didn't really want another. By the time I'd had a look round I'd changed my mind but was told there was a waiting list.

"Well can I have him?", pointing out Tommy, who caught my eye because his row of dogs consisted of huge animals hurling themselves at the gates with a "I'm going to eat you!" look in their eyes whereas Tommy was cowering in the corner of his cage with a "I'm terrified so I'll bite you." snarl.

After a month of travelling to Apsley, to walk the dogs (specifically Tommy) I persuaded them that Tommy should qualify for rehabilitation and they let me take him home.

After a week of hiding under the dining table he finally realised that he'd never be hit again and settled down to be a wonderful friend.

We'll get another dog but I don't think I'll have another.

The next dog will be a family pet, Tommy was always mine.

I am most grateful.

Brought a lump to me throat with that post ya twit.

In response to some fair old grumbling recently I've decided to do another Pollyanna .... I asked a question in another thread about who is your favourite CWDF person and why but I decided it needed its own title....... I reckon its time for some congratulatory praises to lift the settling winter gloom.

any nominations for your favourite and would you care to explain why?

Ymu cos she is the biz............ :D

I haven't really thought about it before but now that I do I find that quite a few on the list are people that I seldom agree with.

Carl, despite being wrong about most things, argues his position well without getting personal and arguing with him is a pleasure.

Phylis isn't there yet as an adversary but for sheer resilience I have to admit to a grudging admiration.

Patrick is a voice of reason and some day I hope to thank him for telling me about the times when I have gone too far

Snibble I fond myself agreeing with an awful lot and I admire his ability to sum up what I'm thinking in a few words.

Finally I must add Kiki who may not be part of the mega league of post counts but she is a damn good friend in real life

Get me that group round the table in a pub and I'd enjoy the evening

I should add that this list isn't exclusive. There are many other posters that I admire

That's the trouble...you keep thinking of people you enjoy/like/admire and then worrying about who you forgot to mention...and then it starts to sound like a list of thanks at an award ceramony!

Awwww...I just love you all!

(except............................................... :P;) )

I believe I read somewhere that Shakespeare, if he were to be brought back to life today, would find the Australian accent more familiar than the RP English that his plays are performed in.

Another school of thought says that Brummie is the closest to the old English accent, and that is what Shakespeare would have spoken in. To buy or to buy etc. Probably just surmize though.

PS If you scroll right down to the bottom of the page there is a drop down box which is set to "English (USA)". That proves to be the only option available, and either means United States of Americas, or Used to Support Arsenal.

Edited by Dominic M

PS If you scroll right down to the bottom of the page there is a drop down box which is set to "English (USA)". That proves to be the only option available, and either means United States of Americas, or Used to Support Arsenal.

I remain unconvinced that this has anything to do with spelling or an inbuilt spell checker.

I can find no evidence in the forum help files that says it has an inbuilt checker, or any way of turning one or off.

I rather suspect its your browser, or an add on to it, that is insisting on (possible!) US spellings, rather than the forum software itself.

This is a perfectly acceptable description for a stove, in Yorkshire...You've just missed the apostrophe out.

It was the ladies exercise class in Bradford, and the instructor called out "OK, ladies. Hands on thighs!"

As one, they all moved their hands and suddenly a voice at the back piped up and said

"What good's that, then? I can't see 'er now!"

I'd be happy to bump into most people from here but the top two never met/like to meet are Chris Pink (We've enough mutual acquaintances I'm surprised our paths haven't crossed) and Roxy, closely followed by Carlt, Smudge and Purple, Mayalld... oh sod it, I give up

Again why me? but thanks, if you was to meet me, you'll certainly never forget me hahahaha, hope to see you soon too

God bless

Rachel

I remain unconvinced that this has anything to do with spelling or an inbuilt spell checker.

I can find no evidence in the forum help files that says it has an inbuilt checker, or any way of turning one or off.

I rather suspect its your browser, or an add on to it, that is insisting on (possible!) US spellings, rather than the forum software itself.

I installed Google Chrome and was very surprised that it came with an automatic spill chicker.

Alex

I installed Google Chrome and was very surprised that it came with an automatic spill chicker.

Alex

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong oar write

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

Its letter perfect awl the weigh

My chequer tolled me sew.

My Google Chrome is happy with the above!

I believe I read somewhere that Shakespeare, if he were to be brought back to life today, would find the Australian accent more familiar than the RP English that his plays are performed in.

Are you referring to the upwardly mobile plonkers, that were attempting to speak like Aussies when they believed it was 'hip'? :wacko:

I too am sorry to hear about your three legged friend.

Mike