What a great group of people..........

Chagall

Featured Posts

As someone who prefers animals to people, my thoughts are with you Carl at this time.

I seem to recall (might be wrong!) that Carl's dog was a much loved three legged rescue greyhound.

Dog lovers might enjoy this picture taken on the N. Stratford about a month ago -

CWDFdogs.jpg

Only one of the dogs is not a 'rescue dog'.

Sorry to hear the loss of your dog Carlt, I had a boxer, she was the love of my life, she reached the grand old age of 11, then her back end went, which I got told was a good age for a boxer dog, she could no longer go to the toilet without help and so I had to make the decision to put her to sleep or let her suffer, I had her put down :( broke my heart, still 10yrs on I think about her, ripping up my cushions, scratching my doors up, hogging my bed etc (Sasha 'bad dog' I used to call her!), but I still loved her to bits..

I could never own another dog because I realise how much she meant to me, some of you may laugh and just think oh for gods sake it was only a dog, but unless you've owned one,especially from when they were a puppy/or rescued you will never ever understand that they do become part of your family.

• Greenie 1

Carlt and FuzzyDuck always make me laugh.

And I particularly like reading posts by Alan Fincher.

Carlt ------------------- because his views can be so controversial and provocative - but not often wrong

Fuzzy because he is one of those people you know is going to be a mate, when you finally meet him, and you are proven right, when the day comes.

Bazza2 because he is just a genuinely nice guy.

BSP because she is the same lovely person in real life, as in cyberland...

..Paddington Bear, because he isn't. ;) (and with Sarah they make a perfect double act)

Moley and Cheshire Rose for the fantastic quizzes they have produced (and Moley for arranging possibly the most enjoyable gathering of people I've never met, without the assistance of mind altering substances).

Natalie Graham because if it's possible to identify a kindred spirit, based on forum posts, she'd be it.

Chris Pink for his total inability to temper his emotions.

Alan Fincher and David Schweizer because, whenever they exchange posts, I always think of Morcambe and Wise in the same bed, complete with stripey jim jams and nightcaps.

Dave Mayall because he's so cuddly.

All the mods, for their patience, understanding and never fixing the glitch that must be the reason for me never having received a warning.

Far too many people to list, making the best forum by far.

I'm probably being uncharacteristically sentimental because I had to have my wonderful dog put down, tonight.

Normal business will resume shortly.

Have to agree with all the above and Carl,there are no words to say when you lose a close mate so will leave you with your own thoughts

eta.......I miss Bones and Moley, and most of all ChrisJW...

Edited by saltysplash

I could never own another dog because I realise how much she meant to me...

My advice, for the little it's worth, would be to make the jump and get another (assuming you're able to devote enough time to it).

We've lost dogs and it's heartbreaking. After the last one passed away in my arms we swore we'd never get another because we didn't want to go through that pain again, however the house (and our lives) seemed so empty without them. After a year of being dogless we bought brother and sister Yorkies (in my avatar). They have brought us so much joy in their two and a half years, and we couple that with the hope that we're also giving them a good home and great life. We know how painful it will be when we lose them, but the mutual happiness that having them brings to all our lives is, we feel, worth that eventual anguish.

Dogs give so much love and ask for so little in return.

Tony

• Greenie 1

I'm probably being uncharacteristically sentimental because I had to have my wonderful dog put down, tonight.

Normal business will resume shortly.

Sorry to hear your sad news, we face the same prospect with our cat a brilliant companion for 14 years.

Leo.

My advice, for the little it's worth, would be to make the jump and get another (assuming you're able to devote enough time to it).

We've lost dogs and it's heartbreaking. After the last one passed away in my arms we swore we'd never get another because we didn't want to go through that pain again, however the house (and our lives) seemed so empty without them. After a year of being dogless we bought brother and sister Yorkies (in my avatar). They have brought us so much joy in their two and a half years, and we couple that with the hope that we're also giving them a good home and great life. We know how painful it will be when we lose them, but the mutual happiness that having them brings to all our lives is, we feel, worth that eventual anguish.

Dogs give so much love and ask for so little in return.

Tony

Totally endorse that Tony - we had a retriever for the best part of 14 years and vowed we would never get another dog after we had him put to sleep. It only lasted a short while (a few months from memory) before we were hankering after another pooch and we bought Dennis our JRT (We wanted something a bit more 'portable' and easier to get in the bath :lol: ) and we too have never looked back.

I think the only thing I would do differently though is I would have looked at taking on a rescue dog, there are hundreds out there looking for a good home.

I seem to recall (might be wrong!) that Carl's dog was a much loved three legged rescue greyhound.

Dog lovers might enjoy this picture taken on the N. Stratford about a month ago -

CWDFdogs.jpg

Only one of the dogs is not a 'rescue dog'.

Lovely dogs Allan.

And they are unlikely to get embarrassed about a fender hung like that, although the owner of the boat possibly should be! :lol:

PS: Dan, can you switch the language checker on this forum to real English and not that surrogate Yank colonial crap? It wants to put a 'Z" in plagiarise. Ta.

:smiley_offtopic:

Is there a language checker on the forum ?

For me the capability comes from an add-on to Firefox, and I'm not aware of any forum involveent ?

For me though "plagiarise" seems to be OK, (but "plagiarize" gets through).

So let's try "plagiareyes" - yep that broke it......

Considering my spell checker is a Firefox add on, I'm kind of surprised it objects to "Firefox" and wants to change it "Firebox". :rolleyes:

Carl, I keep 2 dogs (and two cats), however, I know exactly how you feel. I felt absolutely horrid the last time I had to have an animal put down. I decided never to have another animal, this lasted 6 months, I know have 4 !!!!!!. You just have to get another, good owners are few and far between !!. regards David

For me though "plagiarise" seems to be OK, (but "plagiarize" gets through).

The reason for this perhaps is that it is quite correct? Before laying claim to any erudition, I confess that I picked this up from an episode of Morse many years ago, when the fictitious pedantic curmudgeon pulled someone up for claiming that "ize" was an American affection. Mr Thaw's character said that "ize" endings pre-dated "ise", and so if anything, were the more correct of the two. And so anyone condemning the use of "ize" was merely displaying their own ignorance of English.

The Oxford Dictionary appears to bear this out.

Edited by Nine of Hearts

Staying :smiley_offtopic: for a sec.

Is there a language checker on the forum ?

No Not AFAIK - like you my understanding is it comes from the add on's to what ever browser you are using.

I too used to find it strange when I used to use Google Chrome, the spell checker on that didn't recognise 'Google' :rolleyes: until you 'add' it to the dictionary of course.

I accuse you of plagiarising from Facebook!!!!!! :)

PS: Dan, can you switch the language checker on this forum to real English and not that surrogate Yank colonial crap? It wants to put a 'Z" in plagiarise. Ta.

Ah, but I am the one gave BSP the word!!! It is our 'puppeh's' name....puppeh dawg! Well, Tess actually when she came to us, but she only responds to 'puppeh' now! :P

Lurcher, but definitely much loved and tripedal.

Tommy was found by the police hanging from a tree severely beaten, in the grounds of Woburn Abbey.

He was taken to the marvellous rescue centre, at Apsley Guise and was put in the "Unrehomable" row of kennels.

I was driving round Bucks, feeling very sorry for myself, and for no real reason drove up the rescue centre's drive, rather than past it.

I'd just split up with my ex and she'd got custody of my dogs so I missed canine company but didn't really want another. By the time I'd had a look round I'd changed my mind but was told there was a waiting list.

"Well can I have him?", pointing out Tommy, who caught my eye because his row of dogs consisted of huge animals hurling themselves at the gates with a "I'm going to eat you!" look in their eyes whereas Tommy was cowering in the corner of his cage with a "I'm terrified so I'll bite you." snarl.

After a month of travelling to Apsley, to walk the dogs (specifically Tommy) I persuaded them that Tommy should qualify for rehabilitation and they let me take him home.

After a week of hiding under the dining table he finally realised that he'd never be hit again and settled down to be a wonderful friend.

We'll get another dog but I don't think I'll have another.

The next dog will be a family pet, Tommy was always mine.

Back on topic though, the number of messages of sympathy and support here (including PMs from people who most would think dislike me intensely) show me that my list of nicest people would always be incomplete.

I am most grateful.

The reason for this perhaps is that it is quite correct? Before laying claim to any erudition, I confess that I picked this up from an episode of Morse many years ago, when the fictitious pedantic curmudgeon pulled someone up for claiming that "ize" was an American affection. Mr Thaw's character said that "ize" endings pre-dated "ise", and so if anything, were the more correct of the two. And so anyone condemning the use of "ize" was merely displaying their own ignorance of English.

The Oxford Dictionary appears to bear this out.

Absolutely. I quote exactly the same Morse episode myself.

Then surely, by the same reasoning, olde is more correct than old?

I believe I read somewhere that Shakespeare, if he were to be brought back to life today, would find the Australian accent more familiar than the RP English that his plays are performed in.

• Greenie 1

I believe I read somewhere that Shakespeare, if he were to be brought back to life today, would find the Australian accent more familiar than the RP English that his plays are performed in.

Ahh the great vowel shift. Oz seems to have missed out on it.

From the films I've seen that involve resurrecting the dead (all documentaries, natch), a re-animated Shakespeare would more likely run around on a bloodthirtsy rampage for peoples' brains than express any concern over pronunciation.

Ahh the great vowel shift. Oz seems to have missed out on it.

Os, shurely?