Cash for used Leisure Batteries?

Featured Posts

I’m going to be swapping out my three leisure batteries at the weekend and was going to take the old ones to the council recycling centre, however I wondered if I might get a few quid for them if I took them to a scrap dealer instead?

My boat is moored close to Wigrams Turn on the Grand Union so Rugby / Daventry / Leamington area. Can anyone recommend anyone in the area who would take them. 

6 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Scrap battery prices are on the web. I get £13 for a 110ah battery at present.  Top them up before you weigh them in!

Deuterium !

I used to take the caps of and drop them in the canal on a rope. 

27 minutes ago, Withywindle said:

I’m going to be swapping out my three leisure batteries at the weekend and was going to take the old ones to the council recycling centre, however I wondered if I might get a few quid for them if I took them to a scrap dealer instead?

My boat is moored close to Wigrams Turn on the Grand Union so Rugby / Daventry / Leamington area. Can anyone recommend anyone in the area who would take them. 

Deffo. I sold 4 T105s to the scrappy, got around £50 for them. Price was I think 48p/kilo and they weighed 112kg

Can you get cash for them? With copper in particular, scrappies will should only pay direct to a bank account. The law, introduced to discourage theft of cables by making the transaction traceable. There is a long tradition of stealing lead off church roofs, so does it apply to that metal too?

just bear in mind that if you go to a scrapyard/recyclers they can't pay you in cash any more unless you are one of those charming romany folk so will either give you a cheque or do a bacs transfer into your account.

ETA - don't think matters what the metal is - I've taken several mixed loads of copper, batteries, brass, ferrous and its all been paid by BACS. 

Edited by jonathanA

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Can you get cash for them? 

I did but it was several years ago. Things may have changed since then. I had to show my driver's licence which was photocopied. From memory I got about 50 quid for 3 x 135 ah batteries

Edited by blackrose

Lead price on the London Metal Exchange currently around £2,100/ton. So 20kg from a single leisure battery would be worth £42, but that is refined metal, not sulphated and surrounded by acid and plastic, so the weigh in prices people are describing are not unreasonable.

I weighed in four batteries at Daventry Non Ferrous Metals in 2022 and received just short of £50 by bank transfer.  Take photo ID as said above.

Unit 14 Everdon Park, Heartlands Business Park, Daventry, NN11 8YJ

• Greenie 2

19 minutes ago, philjw said:

I weighed in four batteries at Daventry Non Ferrous Metals in 2022 and received just short of £50 by bank transfer.  Take photo ID as said above.

Thanks they look ideal and only 20 minutes from my mooring. 👍

4 hours ago, Withywindle said:

Thanks they look ideal and only 20 minutes from my mooring. 👍

The guy who replaced my batteries last month told me that he would take the old ones to the scrappy but that he now got very little for them because he had to pay a "hazardous waste" levy which covered most of the receipt. I can't really be bothered to research this but was he lying?

4 hours ago, frahkn said:

The guy who replaced my batteries last month told me that he would take the old ones to the scrappy but that he now got very little for them because he had to pay a "hazardous waste" levy which covered most of the receipt. I can't really be bothered to research this but was he lying?

I’ll let you know how I get on in Daventry next week but it does like he might have a ‘side hussle’ going on there. 🤔

5 hours ago, frahkn said:

Could it be that if he's a registered business he has to pay a levy? I'm pretty sure that if you'd taken the batteries to the scrappy yourself you wouldn't have had to.

10 hours ago, philjw said:

That's the one we always use, batteries, old cauliflowers, scrap piping, scrap cables, scrap water pumps etc.

Nothing metal goes in the bins.

Last time I inquired of a merchant local to my home, (North West Herts), the rate I was quoted was very much less than any quoted above, and from memory would only have yielded around £6 per 110 Ah battery.  So I didn't bother at the  time.  This means I now have about half a dozen 110 Ah batteries stacked outside, as well as a couple of much smaller car batteries.

Perhaps I should try again?  Although our boats are berthed in the Weedon area, I really don't fancy carting all these batteries up there, as we usually travel with 2 large dogs in the boot, and I don't fancy staking batteries on the rear seat..

Another approach is to take them to a battery wholesaler and they knock the scrap value off new batteries. 

Denka in Croxley Green is where I used to take them. 

Once took 600kg of old batteries in there and came out with some new ones. They paid more than the scrap man for a number of different reasons. 

26 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Last time I inquired of a merchant local to my home, (North West Herts), the rate I was quoted was very much less than any quoted above, and from memory would only have yielded around £6 per 110 Ah battery.  So I didn't bother at the  time.  This means I now have about half a dozen 110 Ah batteries stacked outside, as well as a couple of much smaller car batteries.

Perhaps I should try again?  Although our boats are berthed in the Weedon area, I really don't fancy carting all these batteries up there, as we usually travel with 2 large dogs in the boot, and I don't fancy staking batteries on the rear seat..

Scrap prices fluctuate quite a bit and there have been times when it's hardly worth bothering. But in recent years it definitely is. 

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Another approach is to take them to a battery wholesaler and they knock the scrap value off new batteries. 

About 5 years ago Uxbridge Boat Centre gave me a tenner off the price of a new 110Ah battery in exchange for the old one.

Just now, magnetman said:

Do they measure them? surely a 7Ah burglar alarm battery won't be worth the same as a Trojan. 

A good question, but as I have limited choice in the matter. 

11 hours ago, frahkn said:

Yes.

I got £25 for two at F Watson, near Aston Bridge 90 on the T&M. Seems to be about the going rate. They weighed mine.

To satisfy the scrapyard normally used, the BCNS truck now carries a laminated copy of the following...

To whom it may concern: Dear Sirs, This is to advise that the shopping trolleys presented for scrap today by one or more of our members have been recovered from the canal or towpath by volunteers of the Birmingham Canal Navigations Society (BCNS). The Society works to remove trolleys and debris that have been abandoned and are causing an obstruction to navigation or the towpath. Yours faithfully, <name>, Secretary

Edited by Francis Herne