Tunnel Bands

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Even in the 80s, the Lee didn't reach Limehouse.

I had to nudge a car out of the channel somewhere near Bishop Street basin.

That's why I put it in brackets with a question mark... 😉

(it would presumably have been where the Grand Union Hertford branch joins the Lee)

Edited by IanD

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

That's why I put it in brackets with a question mark... 😉

(it would presumably have been where the Grand Union Hertford branch joins the Lee)

Maybe where the Hertford Union (I'll accept Duckett's as an alternative) meets the Lee Navigation.  Also known as Plastic Bag corner - as a yard stored waste plastic mostly in the channel; the subject of some much justified grumbles to the company and the authorities.

I thought you probably meant where the Lee meets Limehouse Cut, which is at Bromley-by-Bow as Bow Creek is the lower Lee

2 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Maybe where the Hertford Union (I'll accept Duckett's as an alternative) meets the Lee Navigation.  Also known as Plastic Bag corner - as a yard stored waste plastic mostly in the channel; the subject of some much justified grumbles to the company and the authorities.

I thought you probably meant where the Lee meets Limehouse Cut, which is at Bromley-by-Bow as Bow Creek is the lower Lee

Duckett's it is, then... 😉

Limehouse cut is part of the Lee Navigation as far as BW/CRT are concerned with licensing as it is included in the Pleasure Boat Certificate (aka Rivers only licence). 

2 hours ago, Tacet said:

Even in the 80s, the Lee didn't reach Limehouse.

The Limehouse Cut is part of the River Lee navigation, having been built to provide a more direct connection from the river to London, bypassing the tortuous natural river route via the meanders on Bow Creek and the trip around the Isle of Dogs.

Yes it's an artificial cut, and not the natural course of the river, but then so is most of the lower part of the Lee Navigation.

And since 1968 it has been connected directly to Limehouse Basin.

Edited by David Mack

To Answer the question BS 381C 538 - Cherry is the colour your looking for. Signal Red 537 is the oh shit we bought the wrong one! to be used as an undercoat.

DSC_0671.jpg

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

As it happens I need to buy some red paint over the next few days so I can spruce things up before Easter. 
I’ll may just have to settle for what I can get if I can’t order in time. I’m sure the last pot of paint I had was Johnstone’s post Office Red. 

What would you recommend for an ‘off’ white? I had Johnstone’s ‘Antique’ white last time. 

Now I have no car, I can’t easily pop off to Johnstone’s like I used to. I’ll be changing over to what’s commonly available from yards and wharfs.
I see Toplac about a lot, is that any good?

The Post office red that looks good is  CT-P type British standard 00006. I don’t think it lasts long as it’s a lovely intense red so degrades fast even for reds. Johnsons and other paint suppliers could probably mix some for you. 

it’s a little known thing that many expensive paint brands paints can be replicated as the codes for them are often known and can be mixed  by the likes of Johnsons. 

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, David Mack said:

The Limehouse Cut is part of the River Lee navigation, having been built to provide a more direct connection from the river to London, bypassing the tortuous natural river route via the meanders on Bow Creek and the trip around the Isle of Dogs.

Yes it's an artificial cut, and not the natural course of the river, but then so is most of the lower part of the Lee Navigation.

And since 1968 it has been connected directly to Limehouse Basin.

Yes.  Whilst most of Limehouse Cut was constructed by the Lea Trustees, it is as a bit of an afterthought to improving the river generally.  To my mind, it is a short cut from the Lee to the Thames rather than an extension of the Lee which has its own direct route to the Thames at the mouth of Bow Creek.  Limehouse Cut is usually considered to be a separate waterway.

The last few yards (now) linking the Cut to the Basin were constructed by BWB - who the controlled both parts.  It will be a moot point as to whether that was an extension of Limehouse Cut (or even the Lee Navigation) or an extension of the Regents Canal (or even the GU).

My association with Limehouse started around five years too late to have used the old lock from the Cut to the Thames.  I have asked before if anyone on the forum ever passed through that lock - but there were no takers.

17 hours ago, IanD said:

...the highest energy photons, ...

Melvyn Bragg   In Our Time on Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001wq9h

... Discuss

... The Paint in the tin can only be confirmed as Red by taking off the lid and looking at it ...

On 29/02/2024 at 14:35, IanD said:

rally_stern.jpg

Cruising with fenders down! It's brave of you posting that picture on here, you'll lose all your canalworld credibility. I posted a picture like that once and got shot down by the purists.

I'm on a widebeam so there's no chance of me getting hung up in a lock, plus the traditionalists hate me anyway for having a fat boat so the fenders don't make a lot of difference. 

Edited by blackrose

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Cruising with fenders down! It's brave of you posting that picture on here, you'll lose all your canalworld credibility. I posted a picture like that once and got shot down by the purists.

I'm on a widebeam so there's no chance of me getting hung up in a lock, plus the traditionalists hate me anyway for having a fat boat so the fenders don't make a lot of difference. 

I'm resigned to every picture I post being the target for nitpicking criticism (see above), I've stopped worrying about it... 😉

Quite apart from that photo being about ten seconds into the boat's maiden voyage -- a couple of hundred yards to the basin and then pub! -- most people would realise there's not exactly much chance of a narrowbeam boat with fenders down getting hung up in the wide locks around Sheffield... 🙂

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Thats not true, they just hate you 😜

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Edited 2 hours ago by blackrose

Just jealous of the space you have on board,

why anyone would choose to live on a 7ft wide boat escapes me 🤷‍♀️

as for safety,

trip hazards etc,

probably best for anyone new to boating to adopt a routine which practises good habit,

after awhile it happens without thinking,

16 hours ago, Ian Mac said:

To Answer the question BS 381C 538 - Cherry is the colour your looking for.

being a tight git I’m looking around to see if there’s anything of good quality that’s cheaper than the well known (possibly over charging) brands,

I’ve come across ‘Patatine’ paints, anyone used them?

they look to be the genuine thing,

I need to check the colour codes properly and may well email them but at £20 for a litre free delivery off ebay it may be worth a go

12 hours ago, Tacet said:

Yes.  Whilst most of Limehouse Cut was constructed by the Lea Trustees, it is as a bit of an afterthought to improving the river generally.  To my mind, it is a short cut from the Lee to the Thames rather than an extension of the Lee which has its own direct route to the Thames at the mouth of Bow Creek.  Limehouse Cut is usually considered to be a separate waterway.

The Limehouse Cut was authorised by the Lee Navigation Improvement Act 1766, opened in 1770 and widened for two way traffic in 1777, long before any of London other canals were built.

At that time most of the traffic on the Lee was agricultural produce destined for London, so cutting out the winding river route between Bow and Limehouse was a significant benefit to River Lee trade. It was hardly an incidental afterthought.

It was further improved in the 1850s, along with improvements on the Lee itself.

The Limehouse Cut and River Lee remained under the control of the Lee Trustees and later the Lee Conservancy Board until nationalisation.

11 hours ago, PeterScott said:
Melvyn Bragg   In Our Time on Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001wq9h

... Discuss

... The Paint in the tin can only be confirmed as Red by taking off the lid and looking at it ...

I enjoyed that particular programme, but then I generally do enjoy In Our Time. Nothing else can span subjects as diverse as Nefertiti and Heisenberg!

Alec

• Happy 1

16 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

why anyone would choose to live on a 7ft wide boat escapes me 🤷‍♀️

As the mantra goes on NB Spey when working on the Engine "8ft Mr Brindley 8 foot".

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

The Limehouse Cut was authorised by the Lee Navigation Improvement Act 1766, opened in 1770 and widened for two way traffic in 1777, long before any of London other canals were built.

At that time most of the traffic on the Lee was agricultural produce destined for London, so cutting out the winding river route between Bow and Limehouse was a significant benefit to River Lee trade. It was hardly an incidental afterthought.

It was further improved in the 1850s, along with improvements on the Lee itself.

The Limehouse Cut and River Lee remained under the control of the Lee Trustees and later the Lee Conservancy Board until nationalisation.

Well, I must refer you to the reference in the Wikipedia entry quoting Smeaton:

"On inspection of the plan, it seems very desirable that a cut should be carried from the four mill pond at Bromley to the Thames at Limehouse hole, and which, from a general knowledge of the ground, I believe very practicable; yet, as this thought did not occur to me till I was compiling the plan, I must refer the gentlemen to Mr. YEOMAN's Report thereupon, to whom the same thought has occurred, and who has viewed and levelled the same, and which I shall inspect when I go up to town, if thought eligible.": Smeaton 1837, p. 376

But none of this helps much in deciding whether Limehouse Cut is a distinct waterway or an integral part of the Lee.  To me, it is a canal linking two rivers.  To you, it is a branch of the Lee.

My decade long residence on Limehouse Cut is coming to an end in April. Too much building work its now just an urban canyon I need out. Someone else can occupy the goldfish bowl mooring. 

As there is no lock separating the cut with the Lee it seems to be a canalised part of the river. When there was a lock I suppose it was more canal like. 

On 01/03/2024 at 06:49, dave moore said:

Tunnel bands is a modern term for them. Since the 60s, I’ve always known them as counter bands. I don’t think the waterways press help in this respect, I’ve seen what I know as a stop beam referred to as a “ boatman’s beam” , likewise a cabin stool called a “ boatman’s stool”. Side doors called swan or duck hatches make me wince….

And you never even mentioned the most grating term of all, the "BMC". "Boat Man's Cabin".

It's just "the cabin" on a working boat. Or on a conversion, "back cabin" works perfectly well.

Edited by MtB
Grammar!

5 hours ago, Tacet said:

But none of this helps much in deciding whether Limehouse Cut is a distinct waterway or an integral part of the Lee.  To me, it is a canal linking two rivers.  To you, it is a branch of the Lee.

This is a rather strange interpretation. The Limehouse Cut is one of a number of improvements made to improve navigation on the River Lee and its principal trade which was destined for London. It was built by the River Lee Trustees, and operated by them and their successor the Lee Conservancy Board as a single entity with the river until nationalisation. It is a manmade channel, as is much of the current River Lee navigation. These days it is known by its name, as distinct from the River Lee, but all of the artificial cuts on the Lee Navigation also have their own names, just not much used now.

Do you also contend that the various arms and branches that were owned by the Grand Union Canal Company or the Birmingham Canal Navigations should be referred to only as distinct waterways and not part of the GUC or BCN respectively?

• Greenie 1

On 01/03/2024 at 06:49, dave moore said:

Tunnel bands is a modern term for them. Since the 60s, I’ve always known them as counter bands. I don’t think the waterways press help in this respect, I’ve seen what I know as a stop beam referred to as a “ boatman’s beam” , likewise a cabin stool called a “ boatman’s stool”. Side doors called swan or duck hatches make me wince….

A fore cabin being called a “potters cabin” is my pet hate!

• Greenie 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, sarahavfc said:

A fore cabin being called a “potters cabin” is my pet hate!

Assuming it even was a real thing once upon a time isn’t a potter’s cabin supposed to sit further back than a fore cabin, in the space where the cratch is on most carrying boats?

And there’s another one, cratch instead of deck board.

• Greenie 1