"It's a contact sport, isn't it."

David Mack

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

I thought they were supposed to be the best? All these examples of cock ups. They sound like a bunch of rank amateurs.

Big organisations have more cockup than little ones stands to reason

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Big organisations have more cockup than little ones stands to reason

And that's assuming it was a cock-up.  Over my career I have seen or heard about some absolute howlers resulting in the Axminster shuffle.  but other incidents were pure equipment failure where, quite rightly, no blame was apportioned.  Still spectacular and expensive to sort though.🙂

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Ken X said:

And that's assuming it was a cock-up.  Over my career I have seen or heard about some absolute howlers resulting in the Axminster shuffle.  but other incidents were pure equipment failure where, quite rightly, no blame was apportioned.  Still spectacular and expensive to sort though.🙂

Yes exactly. Navy boats this big will probably need large engines such as a Kelvin K3. And the gearbox on a K3 is known to jam in astern occasionally.

Yes, that's probably what happened. 

• Haha 4

The navy as I knew it doesn’t exist anymore. The quality of equipment is inferior,  the leadership, comradeship commitment of personnel leaves much to be desired.

Sadly, the lads and lasses that serve nowadays have next to nothing to be proud of. For instance, those funny shaped destroyers have had to have millions spent on them to make them move. The massive two white elephants that they call aircraft carriers are proving to be a waste of tax payers money. Money saving by consecative governments is now showing. The dockyards are almost non existent. The skills and commitment of dockies has been stripped.

All very sad times. I’m shocked, but not completely surprised this has occurred. It’s nothing new. Anyone remember the Mermaid and Fittleton accident. The Penelope accident. All sorts have been happening over the years. The calibre of Officers is not up to scratch. No respect down through the ranks.

There, I feel a little better. The sooner I leave crazy world the better. I fear for the future unless someone wakens up and makes decisive changes to how we progress. Old ways are, in many respects, better ways. 

• Greenie 1

I'll leave it to others more familiar with the RN to comment on the competence of present day RN  Officers. I know it's amusing to poke fun at the cause of the incident, but I have been round ships long enough to know that occasional mechanical failures do occur which are not the fault of those on the bridge and I will wait to see what the findings of the ongoing inquiry are before making any comments. I can sympathise with all those who were on the bridge at the time and for their sake I do hope it is found to be a mechanical failure.

Howard

• Greenie 4

Somewhere there might have been a split pin holding bigger thingy that fell out and then another even bigger thingy fell out and then the gearbox cable fell off and everybody laughed except the captain.

• Haha 1

Forgive my ignorance but does the captain actually drive the ship? Or is that a separate job for, say, the helmsman?

I always imagined the captain had more important stuff to do than checking the rear view mirror when reversing. That's real work for a minion, shorely. 

I mean, like, the captain of ICI doesn't spend much time making chemicals for example. He takes the helicopter view and steers the ship, metaphorically speaking. AIUI. 

Oh, hang on!!

Edited by MtB
Formatting

The Peter Principle states that everyone rises to their own level of incompetence.

The idea is that most people are promoted (or gain a better post) on the basis that they succeeded at their previous one, not that they have been objectively assessed for the new one.

12 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

The Peter Principle states that everyone rises to their own level of incompetence.

The idea is that most people are promoted (or gain a better post) on the basis that they succeeded at their previous one, not that they have been objectively assessed for the new one.

What happens is that at first one incompetent arsehole by accident worms his or her way to the top. Said arsehole has several good mates who  then promotes cos they are his or her mates. Eventually the job is run by arseholes. Works perfectly well for governments after all.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

What happens is that at first one incompetent arsehole by accident worms his or her way to the top. Said arsehole has several good mates who  then promotes cos they are his or her mates. Eventually the job is run by arseholes. Works perfectly well for governments after all.

Yep.

And wasn't Boris the most perfect example of this happening anyone can think of?

As soon as he got in he sacked all the competent old hands in the tory party and appointed new ministers according to their track record of arse-licking, just as you describe.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

It's the Tim and Peter principle 

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yep.

And wasn't Boris the most perfect example of this happening anyone can think of?

As soon as he got in he sacked all the competent old hands in the tory party and appointed new ministers according to their track record of arse-licking, just as you describe.

I agree but thankfully he succeeded in getting Brexit done

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, peterboat said:

It's the Tim and Peter principle 

I agree but thankfully he succeeded in getting Brexit done

Just confirmation of incompetence not competence.

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

Only if you look at facts. Some opinions say otherwise... 😉

Have we left now then?

Its very hard to tell by looking at the state of the country. 

Here is a list of all the Brexit benefits I've noticed since leaving:

• Greenie 2

19 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Depends whether you were the majority or minority 

Yes that might dictate what people thought back then.

Ask 'em now.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Looks like a good time to buy some Isopon shares.

Can you still buy Plastic Pudding?

Although most yoghurt pots are built using polyester resin, (don't know about RN minesweepers) to repair damage it is best to use epoxy resin as polyester doesn't stick very well.

10 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

There is a theory that the way to progress is by cockup. When promotion time comes around, senior management will only recognise the persons name and not remember the reason why they recognise it. If I've heard of them, they must be exceptional, is the rational and it's true in a way! I first heard of it from an engineer at Jaguar, whose career only took off after he wrote off a very expensive new model of car in testing.

I heard a similar thing from someone who used to work in the old GPO Telephones Engineering division, where someone allegedly got chosen for a plum job attending an international conference because everyone at the appointment meeting  knew of  him because he was regularly seen coming in late in the morning! 

In a division of the Civil Service I once worked in, a Mr Armitage had risen from the ranks to became departmental head. It was rumoured that this was because everyone saw his name whenever they used the toilets, where all the ceramic porcelain was emblazened with the legend  "Armitage Ware". 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Apparently someone wired the forward-astern control wiring the wrong way round! You would have thought that it's proper functioning would have been tested before being put back into service.

If true, it seems strange it didn't come to light before that particular manoeuvre.

17 minutes ago, MJG said:

If true, it seems strange it didn't come to light before that particular manoeuvre.

We had a widebeam Collingwood dropped in here that had the wheel steering wired opposite to correct. It was quite funny.

• Haha 1