"It's a contact sport, isn't it."

David Mack

Featured Posts

Someone's career is about to take a nosedive. RN do not take to kindly to such incidents. It was going backwards at quite a speed in the wrong direction and appeared to be still in reverse when it collided.

12 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Someone's career is about to take a nosedive. RN do not take to kindly to such incidents. It was going backwards at quite a speed in the wrong direction and appeared to be still in reverse when it collided.

And it did actually look like it gathered a little speed. I suppose mechanical failure could be the cause but if not yes somebodies career is going to go South very quickly.

Cross post with NC.

Edited by MJG
is not has

29 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

It's nothing new, gone on for years, long B4 soshal Meena report everything. In the mid seventies I was on HMS Andromeda out the med. We did a stern berth in Izmir. Stern berths are very unusual for British warships. I was on the quarterdeck holding a rattan fender with oppos to lower o er stern to come alongside, it's a road, not a jetty and concrete edge. Ossifer with hand held radio passing distance to bridge re distance. Long story short we didn't stop and hit doing iirc 7 or 8 knots 😩

I had dropped my fender as did others and ran up the waists a second or so before impact. We bounced forward after overrunning the concrete by about3 feet. massive damage including props and shafts. Fender was just dust on top of the sea. Limped to dry dock in Gib for several weeks and repairs in the millions lol.

3 minutes ago, MJG said:

Paging @Nightwatch and @mrsmelly

For comment.

Was typing lol

• Horror 1

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It's nothing new, gone on for years, long B4 soshal Meena report everything. In the mid seventies I was on HMS Andromeda out the med. We did a stern berth in Izmir. Stern berths are very unusual for British warships. I was on the quarterdeck holding a rattan fender with oppos to lower o er stern to come alongside, it's a road, not a jetty and concrete edge. Ossifer with hand held radio passing distance to bridge re distance. Long story short we didn't stop and hit doing iirc 7 or 8 knots 😩

I had dropped my fender as did others and ran up the waists a second or so before impact. We bounced forward after overrunning the concrete by about3 feet. massive damage including props and shafts. Fender was just dust on top of the sea. Limped to dry dock in Gib for several weeks and repairs in the millions lol.

I can imagine a few people were in deep poo after that?

Just to add a bit. Straight after repair we went into guzz and stored ship and went up the ice were we were rammed 3 times by gun boats doing more damage to the poor ship. I will post a bit of you tube taken up ther when I was on the ship at the time. Fantastic times.

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I can imagine a few people were in deep poo after that?

You know the score mate. The captain was later in his career promoted to Admiral, I kid you not. Dont know what happened to the poor young subby who was passing distance over the radio though lol. Best part about it was we had been in the med all summer and visited many many ports and countries and ended up in fabulous Gib as it was in those days for weeks working tropical routine on 2 hour working days with 22 off in the bars etc etc :D Absoloootely fantastic days!!

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You know the score mate. The captain was later in his career promoted to Admiral, I kid you not. Dont know what happened to the poor young subby who was passing distance over the radio though lol. Best part about it was we had been in the med all summer and visited many many ports and countries and ended up in fabulous Gib as it was in those days for weeks working tropical routine on 2 hour working days with 22 off in the bars etc etc :D Absoloootely fantastic days!!

True I have seen the most awful cockup by senior officers rewarded by promotion 😪. Though later one was demoted by court martial and discharged without pension, I was senior witness against him as it happens. Revenge is a dish best served cold. 

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The engines look like they were still astern well after the collision looking at the water

Which is what made me suspect a mechanical failure. 

We had similar happen on a boat we hired (although with much less expensive consequences and on a much smallet scale!)

Something failed with the forward gear selection mid manoeuvre and putting the throttle ahead engaged reverse at an alarming rate!

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

The engines look like they were still astern well after the collision looking at the water

Midland Chandlers will be posting a new one of these for the gearbox out to Bahrain, first thing Monday morning. 

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/ultraflex-c8-33c-type-control-cable-15ft-4-c8-15

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Which is what made me suspect a mechanical failure. 

We had similar happen on a boat we hired (although with much less expensive consequences and on a much smallet scale!)

Something failed with the forward gear selection mid manoeuvre and putting the throttle ahead engaged reverse at an alarming rate!

They can be well worn on the Broads cant they?

I would really like one of the modern electric/hybrid ones, suc6a good looking boat and not on CRT waterways 

7 hours ago, peterboat said:

True I have seen the most awful cockup by senior officers rewarded by promotion 😪

I thought they were supposed to be the best? All these examples of cock ups. They sound like a bunch of rank amateurs.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, peterboat said:

True I have seen the most awful cockup by senior officers rewarded by promotion 😪.

There is a theory that the way to progress is by cockup. When promotion time comes around, senior management will only recognise the persons name and not remember the reason why they recognise it. If I've heard of them, they must be exceptional, is the rational and it's true in a way! I first heard of it from an engineer at Jaguar, whose career only took off after he wrote off a very expensive new model of car in testing.

• Horror 1