Fire retardant spray

Featured Posts

Hey all,

What does anyone know about fire retardant coatings for ply wood walls? I have found a couple of sprays online but it’s not clear if they can be painted over. 
i’d rather that than paint so I’m not restricted with final coat.

Thanks a lot

16 minutes ago, LeonR said:

Hey all,

What does anyone know about fire retardant coatings for ply wood walls? I have found a couple of sprays online but it’s not clear if they can be painted over. 

Thanks a lot

Why do you want to do it 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, LeonR said:

Because if a fire starts when we're not at the boat it slows down my house burning to the ground (water). 

Giving enough time to do what? How long do you need to slow it down for a fire crew to find the boat and save it being burnt out? You are not there, so it relies on some one else raising the alarm, which is only going to happen when they see flames coming out.

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Giving enough time to do what? How long do you need to slow it down for a fire crew to find the boat and save it being burnt out? You are not there, so it relies on some one else raising the alarm, which is only going to happen when they see flames coming out.

He did say:

9 minutes ago, LeonR said:

Because if a fire starts when we're not at the boat it slows down my house burning to the ground (water). 

But steel boats tend not to do that. This sounds more like a GRP or wooden boat, and if so, the there is far more him worry about than the cabin lining. Probably far more productive to maintain the boat to a level that makes such a scenario unlikely.

Then there is:

12 hours ago, LeonR said:

I have found a couple of sprays online but it’s not clear if they can be painted over. 

Now, what that actually means to me is far from clear, but if he means he wants to paint over the treated linings then he intends to introduce a flammable surface coating, unless he sticks to genuine whitewash or perhaps some expensive fire-resistant paint.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

This sounds more like a GRP or wooden boat, and if so, the there is far more him worry about than the cabin lining.

I've seen a GRP boat burn down to the waterline. Everything flammable gone above that level.

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I've seen a GRP boat burn down to the waterline. Everything flammable gone above that level.

Aluminium boats can do similar. I remember seeing a burned out Sea Otter burnt almost to the waterline at Braunston a few years ago.

Just now, cuthound said:

Aluminium boats can do similar. I remember seeing a burned out Sea Otter burnt almost to the waterline at Braunston a few years ago.

I was just about to hit the reply button to say the same thing about the same boat.

Fire retardant plywood is made that way.  Each of the laminates is treated and the glue is fire retardant too.  Even then you need a fairly thick piece to achieve a 30 minute fire rating.  I doubt a spray treatment of one surface will achieve much.

To then paint it, unless you are using a special paint would simply negate any benefit from the spray.

N

• Greenie 2

Seems reasonable to look for a fire retardant varnish or paint to help mitigate spread of a fire. Suspect a lot of us on wooden lined nbs could do with thinking about it rather than just slapping on b&qs  cheapest....

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I thought standard emulsion was classed as non-flammable, it's acceptable to use it near a stove on a non-combustible surface.

Would would it make any difference to the chances of the underlying wood catching alight? I rather doubt it.

Anything classed as "fire retardant" will only do just that - i.e. retard or delay the time it takes for something to start to burn. It won't stop it burning if it gets hot enough, given enough time.

The way it comes across to me is that the OP thinks applying a fire retardant coating will render the substrate behind "fire proof". It won't.

Edited by blackrose

There are a range of intumescent coatings which will buy you time by swelling up to protect the substrate.  I have seen them used on steel and wood in buildings but I understand you are looking at 90 mins to 120 mins at best.

3 minutes ago, Ken X said:

There are a range of intumescent coatings which will buy you time by swelling up to protect the substrate.  I have seen them used on steel and wood in buildings but I understand you are looking at 90 mins to 120 mins at best.

I don't see why, if a vertical board or piece of timber was exposed to enough heat, for long enough to cause it to ignite low down, then it might burn upwards under the coating.

48 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Shame it isn't still the 1950's. Asbestos cement board lining in boats would be the way to go for fire protection. Functioning lungs, not so much. 🤪

Another alternative would be to buy a few 'Fire-Blankets' and nail them onto the walls.

You have to have at least 1 for the BSS so they are BSS compliant.

Or, you could even use a 5'x5' 7" welding blanket

VEVOR Fire Blanket, 67" x 60" Fiberglass Welding Blanket, 3.3 lbs Fireproof Blanket, 1022 °F (550°c) Fire Retardant Blanket, Rust Iron Red Emergency Fire Blanket with 10 Stainless-Steel Grommets & 6 Hooks

VEVOR VEVOR Fire Blanket, 67" x 60" Fiberglass Welding Blanket, 3.3 lbs Fireproof Blanket, 1022 °F Fire Retardant Blanket, Rust Iron Red Emergency Fire Blanket with 10 Stainless-Steel Grommets & 6 Hooks | VEVOR UK