Fuel boats - don't pay in cash.

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

I would like to hear the company's version of events before making such a decision.

So would I, but they have had 3 days to respond, so until they do I'll hold off doing business with them. If it transpires that they have proof of Arthurs non-payment I have the option of reconsidering. My money, my choice of where I spend it - not that  my business will make a jot of difference to the company in question. I highly doubt that they will respond on here, but I'd like to be wrong!

3 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

So would I, but they have had 3 days to respond, so until they do I'll hold off doing business with them. If it transpires that they have proof of Arthurs non-payment I have the option of reconsidering. My money, my choice of where I spend it - not that  my business will make a jot of difference to the company in question. I highly doubt that they will respond on here, but I'd like to be wrong!

Just be careful if you pay in cash. I keep saying that I'm sure it was just a mistake that the office won't admit to for one reason or another. No reason for anyone to boycott them, just get a receipt. I doubt anyone from the company is on here, anyway, so they can't respond, but if they did, they'll just reiterate that the book doesn't show the payment. Which is true, as is the fact that we paid in cash at the time. There's no resolving it unless one if us admits we might be wrong - they won't, and I'm not.

I'm not trying to damage their business, which is a valuable asset to the community (one of the reasons why I considered it right to send a duplicate payment, albeit with a rather strongly worded letter). They can't prove I didn't pay, all they can prove is that they didn't record a payment, and I can't prove we paid, so it's stalemate.

You have to judge, and decide how you act, by your own experience, not by mine. For all you know, I could be making the whole thing up - this is the internet, after all!

I did say I wouldn't keep responding, but I really don't want to stir up trouble.

14 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Just be careful if you pay in cash. I keep saying that I'm sure it was just a mistake that the office won't admit to for one reason or another. No reason for anyone to boycott them, just get a receipt.

Maybe you should change the thread title then.

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

Maybe you should change the thread title then.

Maybe you should be a moderator on here? then you could.

Oh hang on ..........

We went through this 50 years ago when we had trucks .........customer  would say "OK if I just pay the driver "......and I d say " No .......because then we lose the money and we have to sack a driver."..........."I will come around and collect the money".............yes,cash was king in those days .

19 hours ago, HenryFreeman said:

A sore point. I bought a kitchen tap from Ikea about 3 years ago. It came with a 10 year guarantee and has been working perfectly fine until recently. I took it back to Ikea and they refused to entertain looking at it or refunding me without a receipt. I've not hung onto that receipt because why would I after 3 years?

If it was a 20 quid tap then fine, but given it cost over 100 quid I'm a little bitter about it.

If the problem with the tap is that it drips, and assuming it's a 1/4 turn type you can replace the cartridge for less than a tenner, or both sides for less than £20.  A dripping tap after 3 years is probably considered as fair wear and tear and not under guarantee. 

• Greenie 1

Ikea stuff is shockingly bad quality these days. I remember when they did some good stuff but these days I would not touch any of their gear with a largepole. 

Maybe if I was desperate for some cutlery I would consider one of their forks but nothing else. 

Horrid. 

I always wanted to go round and Ikea store (against the arrows) with a load of stickers for their silly names. 

The Shīte chair. The Cråppe bed. The Brökkēn wardrobe. The Bînnitt sofa. The Rúbbīsche desk. The Jūnkk stool. 

Etc. Bit of a a giggle. 

Shabitat isn't much better to be fair. 

Beales used to be alright. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

If the problem with the tap is that it drips, and assuming it's a 1/4 turn type you can replace the cartridge for less than a tenner, or both sides for less than £20.  A dripping tap after 3 years is probably considered as fair wear and tear and not under guarantee. 

I tried taking it apart and got so far with it before giving up. I've still got it here and now I've got a new tap I might have another bash at seeing if I can get the cartridge out and replaced. If I bugger it up then no massive loss.

It's not so much a dripping tap as a "it pours out of hot water side whether turned on or off" so I'd say more a defect than wear and tear as cold side is fine. And they do guarantee it for 10 years so as far as I'm concerned it should work for at least 10 years.

Anyway, it's a weekend project for another weekend/when I can be arsed.

14 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

I think I'm in the same boat (pun intended) I will be hesitant to spend with them as I believe Arthur is an honest chap.

2 hours ago, HenryFreeman said:

I tried taking it apart and got so far with it before giving up. I've still got it here and now I've got a new tap I might have another bash at seeing if I can get the cartridge out and replaced.  

You'll almost certainly need a box spanner to extract the cartridge, if it's anything like our IKEA one.

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

Ikea stuff is shockingly bad quality these days. I remember when they did some good stuff but these days I would not touch any of their gear with a largepole. 

Maybe if I was desperate for some cutlery I would consider one of their forks but nothing else. 

Horrid. 

I always wanted to go round and Ikea store (against the arrows) with a load of stickers for their silly names. 

The Shīte chair. The Cråppe bed. The Brökkēn wardrobe. The Bînnitt sofa. The Rúbbīsche desk. The Jūnkk stool. 

Etc. Bit of a a giggle.

image.jpeg.72439cc385e305daba39bca1a5d12e74.jpeg

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/10/2023 at 13:41, Mike Tee said:

I don’t suppose we will ever know but when the fuel boat owner eventually spoke to the operator on Halsall, was it the same bloke who failed to record the cash receipt? Does he even still work for them? Because if he does I will personally not be using that business in future on principle.

Indeed, I think the fuel company are being short sighted in refusing to accept Arthur's version or even accept a 50/50 split compromise.

If enough forum members decided not to use them they would soon lose more money than that gained from Arthur.

On 05/10/2023 at 15:49, Stilllearning said:

Come to France then: the coin counting machines dont charge a fee for the service. (But they do only give us a 'bon d'achat' for the amount of coins we throw down the gullet of the machine,  to be spent in the shop - but we are going there anyway).

This is why my wife, much to my amusement and sometimes my admiration, keeps boxes of in my opinion useless paperwork for bloody years.

I keep a folder with twelve clear plastic punched pockets (one for each month) in it.

I put all of my receipts in there, each marked with the guarantee expiry date, and periodically throw out the outdated receipts. Means I never have to hunt for the receipt when something fails during the guarantee period.

Edited by cuthound
To insert spaces between merged posts

41 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I put all of my receipts in there, each marked with the guarantee expiry date, and periodically throw out the outdated receipts. Means I never have to hunt for the receipt when something fails during the guarantee period.

Got any Ikea tap receipts in there you could lend to wonderervagabond? 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Why? what've I done??:huh: I've never shopped at IKEA

My apologies. I thought it was you who was having a good ol' moan about Ikea refusing to honour their ten year guarantee on a kitchen tap because you didn't have the receipt. Mustabin someone else. 

On 04/10/2023 at 19:51, Stilllearning said:

Correct, up to a certain turnover I don't have to, so I don't.

Also, to have a card machine would cost me and therefore the customer. Cheques or cash do nicely, thank you.

And what does the bank charge for banking cheques? 

Just now, Mike Todd said:

And what does the bank charge for banking cheques? 

Nat West charge me 70p per cheque.

To deposit cash they charge me 0.7% so if I deposit £10,000 in cash they deduct £70.

If I get a lot of cash I deposit it into my personal account and then write the company a cheque from my personal account.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Nat West charge me 70p per cheque.

To deposit cash they charge me 0.7% so if I deposit £10,000 in cash they deduct £70.

If I get a lot of cash I deposit it into my personal account and then write the company a cheque from my personal account.

Are you sure that is allowed in their terms and conditions? I get the impression that some banks are tightening up on this improper usage.

33 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is there any law to say you have to have a business account as opposed to a personal one ?

Its in the T&Cs of the (personal) account - if desired, the bank could forcibly close the account if a personal one is being used for business.

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is there any law to say you have to have a business account as opposed to a personal one ?

I suspect money laundering comes in somewhere but the main issue is with the bank's  terms and conditions.

Edited by Mike Todd

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I suspect money laundering comes in somewhere but the main issue is with the bank's  terms and conditions.

I have looked into the T&C of both my personal account (lloyds) and the company account (Nat West) and can find nothing in either T&Cs that could be remotely taken to cover me paying cash into my personal account from sources unknown, and then a week or two later making out a cheque to a company (I guess they dont know it is my/our company).

It is not unknown for me to buy 'stuff' for the company using my personal debit card, or personal cash and then the company writing me a cheque to reimburse me. Any invoice for the stuff I have purchased will be in the company name so 'financially' everything balances out.