A plea to dog owners on the cut (and general)

DShK

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

You must have been unlucky Tracy. According to this from West Yorkshire Police you are unlikely to be responsible if the dog is protecting your premises and you are not there.

https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/ask-the-police/question/Q524#:~:text=For example%2C if you deliberately,be liable for the attack.

I lived there at the time.  I was upstairs, asleep,  the dog on guard downstairs. Hence I could not of had control over the dog - legally.

27 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I lived there at the time.  I was upstairs, asleep,  the dog on guard downstairs. Hence I could not of had control over the dog - legally.

Yes; I deleted my post after reading the link more closely. 

You not being responsible for your dog biting an intruder when you are not there dog only applies to domestic premises.

5 hours ago, Ray T said:

Tracy, Mr. Helpful trespassed over my property. The dog was kept within the confines of the boat. He was warned and decided to ignore that warning. The dog was on a restraining lead. I cannot be responsible for that man’s action. 

It is interesting that when (house owners) put one of those "beware f the dog" "dog bites" etc signs on their gate and the 'postman' gets bitten it has been proven in court that they have actually admitted in advance that they have a dangerous dog.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is interesting that when (house owners) put one of those "beware f the dog" "dog bites" etc signs on their gate and the 'postman' gets bitten it has been proven in court that they have actually admitted in advance that they have a dangerous dog.

I appear to have been posting under a misnomer, common sense:

The Sad Passing of Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children

He declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but, could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Ray T said:

I appear to have been posting a misnomer, common sense:

The Sad Passing of Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children

He declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but, could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

The old ones are the best - and much truth in it as well.

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

For the same reason farmers no longer give bull loose warnings.

57 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We are covered, ours is in French...

Screenshot_20230927-184515_Photos.jpg

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Many years ago a scrote near me entered a workshop by breaking in via a high level window and then climbing down inside on the machinery. unfortunately he started the machine and it ate him. The company were taken to court and found guilty of his death.

In my court that would be a ten bob fine suspended for ten minutes.

• Happy 1

On 27/09/2023 at 12:24, Ray T said:

Tracy, Mr. Helpful trespassed over my property. The dog was kept within the confines of the boat. He was warned and decided to ignore that warning. The dog was on a restraining lead. I cannot be responsible for that man’s action. 

A landowner has a duty of care to a trespasser . . .

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yet another death by dog happened, sounds deliberate this time?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-67004053

Speaking of dogs in general - our neighbour died whilst we were on holiday after suffering a long illness.

His JRT is noticeably suffering from stress displaying odd unusual behaviours. The little fella also keeps breaking out the house and taking himself off to the allotment he used to tend around the corner. Apparently he sits there and waits for his owner to turn up, which of course he won't.

Quite sad to see.

Some dogs do show signs of mourning. One of  our dogs did after  his mother died. His head and tail went down and nothing seemed to help him. He was getting a bit better when we went boating and when I jumped off at the first lock he followed ( as he did unless he was told to stay on board ) and you could almost see the point where he realised his mother wasn't there and his head and tail went down again. It was the first time I had seen signs of a dog mourning. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, haggis said:

Some dogs do show signs of mourning. One of  our dogs did after  his mother died. His head and tail went down and nothing seemed to help him. He was getting a bit better when we went boating and when I jumped off at the first lock he followed ( as he did unless he was told to stay on board ) and you could almost see the point where he realised his mother wasn't there and his head and tail went down again. It was the first time I had seen signs of a dog mourning. 

There was a sheepdog called Tip whose shepherd master died out on the hills in winter, and which stayed by his body for several months until they were found in the spring -- there's a statue commemorating this in the Derwent Valley, as well as a poignant song about it called "Tip o'Derwent".

49 minutes ago, haggis said:

Hachiko never gave up on his owner.

• 2 months later...
On 23/09/2023 at 16:04, mrsmelly said:

We are making our present old girl our last one. Its sad when old folks die and their old dog ends up at the dogs home in its old age. Also whilst we have loved many years of dog ownership they are very tying if looked after properly and so a bit of freedom will be appreciated.

So, very sadly that dreadful time came this morning :( Our lovely, sweet, totaly loyal labradors time came, and we had to take her for her last visit to the vets. So as we said previously, thats it for us. RIP Sandy you were a sweetie.

IMG_20230706_222559.jpg

• Love 1
  • Sad 6

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

So, very sadly that dreadful time came this morning :( Our lovely, sweet, totaly loyal labradors time came, and we had to take her for her last visit to the vets. So as we said previously, thats it for us. RIP Sandy you were a sweetie.

IMG_20230706_222559.jpg

Oh Tim I am so sorry, I know exactly how you feel mate, 2 years on it still hurts. I lasted weeks before I gave in. RIP Sandy

Edited by peterboat
  • Greenie 1

Sorry to hear that you have lost the old girl. You will miss her so much but you have lovely memories of your time together. I understand you not getting another dog as they might outlive you. We are down to one dog for the same reason and I dread the day she goes. 

• Greenie 2

24 minutes ago, haggis said:

Sorry to hear that you have lost the old girl. You will miss her so much but you have lovely memories of your time together. I understand you not getting another dog as they might outlive you. We are down to one dog for the same reason and I dread the day she goes. 

That's why we haven't got another, I could be 85 when its in its prime 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

That's why we haven't got another, I could be 85 when its in its prime 

We had the same thoughts after our whippet died. Even though we are relatively young we might not be that sprightly as our dog might need us to be in 15 years time. We ended up eventually with an almost 11 years old rescue Yorkshire Terrier who is still very sprightly and settling in great. If we can give him a few great years then that's good for us and him. 

20230930_163303.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Love 3