Licences

haggis

Featured Posts

I know someone who lives on a canal boat and is a professional beggar. He has a nice dog and palatial floating abode. 

It gives real beggars a bad name but there's good money in it if you know when and where to do it. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, dmr said:

Was it true that as long as you had 20p in your pocket you could not be arrested as a vagrant? I suppose you need a debit card these days, or maybe an iphone?

An Australian guy I was working with in the early  1970's told me that, back home, as long as you had the price of a night's accommodation ( ~ 5/-) on you, you could not be arrested for vagrancy.

5 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Interesting, like layers of cutting and pasting without understanding the detail/content/context?

You might be surprised at how often this sort of thing (agreeing to the contents of documents that you don't understand) goes on. Some people feel they are too busy to read the small print of contracts snd other legal documents,  and/or are unwilling to admit that they don't understand it and don't want to lose face by getting a subordinate to explain it to them.   

In some companies/cultures there is the further problem of a subordinate not wanting to point out to his superior that the superior has made a mistake.   

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos
  • Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Licence checkers walk the towpath in the remote areas as much as in the towns!

Honestly I have never seen a licence checker out and and about whilst cruising, I have seen little villages of boats not displaying names numbers or licenses been there for years in some cases. Just up from me on the visitors moorings there are 5 boats 1 has been there 2 years! The rest over a year

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

Honestly I have never seen a licence checker out and and about whilst cruising,

Strangely, even as hirers, which means we are not constantly cruising, we have seen or chatted to licence checkers regularly.  Usually a bod with a pushbike and tablet carrying a small rucksack.

The one that found us at Cropredy was most interested in us as we were on a Thames registered hire boat.  Had to pull out all our temporary C&RT License paperwork and everything.  We had prearranged the license with the yard but I wondered how many hirers would be caught out by the different Authorities, not knowing the finer points of licensing.

4 hours ago, peterboat said:

Honestly I have never seen a licence checker out and and about whilst cruising, I have seen little villages of boats not displaying names numbers or licenses been there for years in some cases. Just up from me on the visitors moorings there are 5 boats 1 has been there 2 years! The rest over a year

Maybe you aren't looking, or don't know what to see or expect?

Given your poor observation, probably best not to jump to conclusions about the boats you do see.

3 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Maybe you aren't looking, or don't know what to see or expect?

Given your poor observation, probably best not to jump to conclusions about the boats you do see.

They are on with section 8s for them CRT confirmed action was being taken, so no conclusions jumped to. As for my observation skills Given I served in NI for many years and survived with only one injury my observation was excellent. I know my license checker here and I know the area, a bike wouldnt help you, as in places there are no towpaths and mooring there, is what the other little village had done for years successfully, still might be there? Given the current state of towpaths with the no cutting of grass most boats could hide for years easily without discovery around here

• Greenie 1

I have only occasionally seen spotters.

Its not like they are in uniform or have have anything to indicate who they are. But if seen in action its obvious they they are doing.

Not a bad job really.

24 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Its not like they are in uniform or have have anything to indicate who they are. But if seen in action its obvious they they are doing.

Not a bad job really.

After the one on the K&A was murdered (he was only doing his job) they do tend to be 'less visible' and make notes without engaging with boaters.

Quite understandable really.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

After the one on the K&A was murdered (he was only doing his job) they do tend to be 'less visible' and make notes without engaging with boaters.

Quite understandable really.

Death was on the Aylesbury Arm GU unless there have been two.

Edited by GUMPY
  • Greenie 3

When we were on the K&A moored near BoA in winter 2001/02 there was this geyser who used to come past on a bike and put 'documents enclosed' on boats. I asked him if he was BW as he had no identifying garments and said no he just did it as he felt it needed doing. 

Nutter. 

I did wonder if he was a good swimmer. 

The killing was on the aylesbury arm as idleness said above. Not the K&A

1 hour ago, GUMPY said:

Death was on the Aylesbury Arm GU unless there have been two.

Thankyou for the correction (the man who never made a mistake, never made anything) it was indeed :

Murder arrest in Aylesbury canal worker death investigation - BBC News

The K&A case was a beating and throwing in the canal.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, magnetman said:

When we were on the K&A moored near BoA in winter 2001/02 there was this geyser who used to come past on a bike and put 'documents enclosed' on boats. I asked him if he was BW as he had no identifying garments and said no he just did it as he felt it needed doing. 

Nutter. 

I think I met him, from the local angling club, I walked back and he was taking down details of my boat. I made a big mistake and engaged him in conversation when I found out what he was up to, had hell of a job getting rid of him. Even worse he spotted me in a supermarket and the conversations started all over again.

I'm sure I recognise the boat and the rather bizarre and large two piece outboard motor 

IMG_20231016_205802.jpg.69e6778663094633959579735e7d7644.jpg

(aylesbury arm)

That outboard motor is completely nuts. Nobody ever does this with an outboard motor. 

In another photo the powerhead which is enormous was on the towpath. 

Motor powerhead on towpath 

IMG_20231016_210157.jpg.e0f386ba2eba8d74e651bcfb4fe659f1.jpg

Some crazy nutters there. 

It seems far too heavy to just lift it orf and put it in the well deck. WTF. 

9 hours ago, MartynG said:

Not a bad job really.

Quite easy to spot on the Towpath, as usually on a bike wearing the red CaRT life jacket and usually stop to look at any moving boats instead of just cycling by.

12 hours ago, magnetman said:

was he 'eastern european lady' ? 

We passed him on the GU near Napton about a week before this incident, there was a woman with him.  Perhaps she is “east European lady”, the boat certainly was the crazy shaped one she was trying to sell at one time.

Just had my renewal email, they seem keen as it's not due until 30th November (not as keen as RCR who sent the renewal 10 days ago), unsure if it reflects the new increases that were to be announced in November i think?

Further to the announcement made by the Trust on 2nd August 2022 regarding an interim price increase of 4% for all leisure and business licenses effective from 1st October 2022, please note that the annual price increase of 9% will also apply from 1st April 2023. We’re having to increase licence fees to secure the maintenance and repair programme required to help keep the waterways safe and navigable in the face of soaring inflation across the economy. The rapid growth in inflation has led to even greater increases in prices for energy, fuel and materials, leading to a projected shortfall in our finances. Unless measures are taken urgently to address the budget gap, works would be affected, and we would have to cancel some planned jobs and scale back non-essential maintenance’We will do all we can to support those who may be struggling with the nationwide cost of living crisis. Please speak to your local boat licence customer support team: canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licence-your-boat/boat-licence-customer-support-team/contact-your-local-officer