Colwich Lock broken

Grassman

Featured Posts

It was hard o get properr beer in Birmingham so we drank all sorts of conconctions. A "boiler" was popular, half of mild with half of Manns brown (from a bottle).

My favourite mild was Martsons Merry Monk, long since gone, though I don't think it was really a mild, a sort of darker version of Pedigree.

38 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Nice to see/pass you today Grassman,

I’m sure I’ve seen your boat about a few time. 

And you too mate. 

Yes I do a lot of my boating around that area in between going for a few months a year further afield.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe C&RT should cut a slot in it for donations to be made - worked for the Spastics Society (who seem to have used similar methods for support )  ............................

Image result for spastics society collecting box

It did until 30 years ago,

I remember those figures very well. 
Every high street had them. 

9 minutes ago, Grassman said:

And you too mate. 

Yes I do a lot of my boating around that area in between going for a few months a year further afield.

Rugeley to Stone is absolutely lovely. 
Always interesting to go by Taft Bridge/Wharf and see what’s developing. 
Lots of familiar bits to look out for along there. 

1 hour ago, dmr said:

It was hard o get properr beer in Birmingham so we drank all sorts of conconctions. A "boiler" was popular, half of mild with half of Manns brown (from a bottle).

My favourite mild was Martsons Merry Monk, long since gone, though I don't think it was really a mild, a sort of darker version of Pedigree.

The best dark mild I have had was Gravedigger Dark Mild by Church End Brewery.

I have racked my brain but I can't remember for the life of me which pub I had it in.

3 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I have racked my brain but I can't remember for the life of me which pub I had it in.

I’ve seen it about but can’t say I’ve tried it. 
I think the Swan at Brewood has had it on? They definitely have the Stairway to Heaven on as a regular. 

18 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Church End beers are good. Had one recently, think it was at the end of the Wellford Arm?. A few years back spent a winter on the K&A long pound and it felt like the Waterfront at Pewsey had a different one each week.

On 17/09/2023 at 19:19, PeterScott said:

Repair, today

spacer.png

The angle iron with the loops for the connecting studs was clearly already available, and had been given a single coat of primer after fabrication, and then stored outside to go rusty. It's good that CRT are prepared with the kit to do an effective repair, but a little disappointing it couldn't have been properly painted before being put into storage pending use.

13 hours ago, magnetman said:

Odd measuring error there. 

Looks like it was meant to be put on about ten inches further down.

Might have originally been made for somewhere else? This technique has now been used long enough to see some gates, where it has been used, get to their replacement date. 

Ive not seen this before, I have only seen various ad-hoc planks of wood.

With better painting this would be a very good repair and if they keep plenty in stock could be fitted quickly and left in place for quite a while. It could also be used to strengthen gates that show weakness before they actually break. Well done CRT.

I wonder if this was "invented" by an "operative" or a bloke in the office? 😀