Shroppie vs T&M

Ewan123

Featured Posts

We're heading north (currently at Tixall), aiming for the Llangollen and need to choose between the Staffordshire & Worcestershire then Shropshire Union canals, or Trent & Mersey then Middlewich branch of the Shropshire Union. We'll probably continue north after the Llangollen so won't be back for a while.

As far as I can tell, the Shroppie looks very rural (less easy public transport, more scenic?) but maybe less interesting to cruise (lots of straight bits??). The T&M has more towns (less pretty, more convenient?).

Can anyone strongly recommend one route over the other? We usually prefer rural but good transport links (and laundry access!) are also important, so we're a bit torn.

We liveaboard and would be doing a full day's cruise every week or two, so not high-speed travelling.

Stoppages seem similar, need to get close to Llangollen before November basically (and go over the Pontcsyllte and back before it's closed January-March next year). Estimated journey time on canalplan is only about 1 hour dissent between them... not much in it!

Edited by Ewan123

37 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

We're heading north (currently at Tixall), aiming for the Llangollen and need to choose between the Staffordshire & Worcestershire then Shropshire Union canals, or Trent & Mersey then Middlewich branch of the Shropshire Union. We'll probably continue north after the Llangollen so won't be back for a while.

As far as I can tell, the Shroppie looks very rural (less easy public transport, more scenic?) but maybe less interesting to cruise (lots of straight bits??). The T&M has more towns (less pretty, more convenient?).

Can anyone strongly recommend one route over the other? We usually prefer rural but good transport links (and laundry access!) are also important, so we're a bit torn.

We liveaboard and would be doing a full day's cruise every week or two, so not high-speed travelling.

Stoppages seem similar, need to get close to Llangollen before November basically (and go over the Pontcsyllte and back before it's closed January-March next year). Estimated journey time on canalplan is only about 1 hour dissent between them... not much in it!

Their original intent says most of it:

T&M: better than going by horseback and passes through plenty of centres of population so good for picking up trade

Shroppie: Better for getting somewhere quickly but boring and not many contacts with human society

>twin s***holes of Stone and Stoke

About a half-century ago (hard to believe it's that long) I worked in Stone - a decrepit but pleasant old mill near the Star Inn. I remember a nice little market town with a bustling high street and a brewery. I left for far shores, and my next visit was about thirty years later, when I was horrified to find a dung heap of a dead high street with closed charity shops and a Co-op supermarket where my beloved brewery had been.

So... It would be the Shroppie for me. Not so bad for towns (Brewood, Wheaton Aston, Market Drayton, Audlem, Nantwich) although the public transport could be iffy. I spent quite a few youthful weekends moving boats between Wheaton Aston and Llangollen, and never tired of that stretch.

6 minutes ago, GilesMorris said:

So... It would be the Shroppie for me. Not so bad for towns (Brewood, Wheaton Aston, Market Drayton, Audlem, Nantwich) although the public transport could be iffy. I spent quite a few youthful weekends moving boats between Wheaton Aston and Llangollen, and never tired of that stretch.

It's still a pleasant stretch, which is why we are based near Market Drayton. Still has nice, quiet market towns. However, public transport is near non-existent and taxis to get to it are also near non-existent. We needed to get the car from Stretton to Market Drayton and had to pre-book a taxi 24hrs in advance. There are no buses to or from Market Drayton except for the one to Shrewsbury and I don't believe the other towns are much better.

That said, if you plan the mooring stops right it can be done fairly easily. Penkridge has a station; it's fairly easy to reach public transport from near Autherley and if you have a bike it is a surprisingly short distance from Brewood/Stretton/Wheaton Aston back to Penkridge by road. Nantwich is the next place with decent connections - depends on your boating style as to whether you regard that as one day or two from Wheaton Aston.

Alec

3 hours ago, Paul C said:

Shroppie every time for me. The locks are in flights so its much easier to approach; and you avoid the twin s***holes of Stone and Stoke.

Stone. A **** hole?

No, no and thrice no!

It's a lovely place.

Great pubs, The Swan, The Royal Exchange, The Borehole, that new Joules place and if you really need it, a McSpoons.

The shopping ain't bad either.

And on top of all that there a narrow gauge railway in the boatyard above the locks.

What more does one ask for?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, agg221 said:

It's still a pleasant stretch, which is why we are based near Market Drayton. Still has nice, quiet market towns. However, public transport is near non-existent and taxis to get to it are also near non-existent. We needed to get the car from Stretton to Market Drayton and had to pre-book a taxi 24hrs in advance. There are no buses to or from Market Drayton except for the one to Shrewsbury and I don't believe the other towns are much better.

We re-joined our boat at Norbury a couple of years back by public transport. Train to Stafford, then bus to Gnosall and walk the last couple of miles up the towpath, as I remember. Nantwich has a railway station.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

I make this choice frequently and purely for transiting quickly I choose to travel via the Shroppie even from Great Haywood to Barbridge. The SU is straight and mostly OK for width and depth so despite the frequent long lines of moored boats 3mph average is achievable. The locks are easy and you don't have to worry about how the passage of Harecastle fits your schedule. However that's not particularly relevant to the scenario in question.

For a liveboard or extended cruiser looking to go bit by bit and in need of resources to support their lifestyle I could imagine the T&M has advantages. It's also a more interesting canal unless a feeling of isolation is your thing.

I really wouldn't want to say there's a strong reason to choose one over the other. If you like canals that mix industrial heritage with towns and villages and a bit of countryside then it's the T&M but if out and out rural is your thing it's the SU.

One thing I'd say is certain though is that the locks on the T&M are harder than the SU, but they're all narrow so none of them are that hard, particularly if you're not single handing.

13 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

We re-joined our boat at Norbury a couple of years back by public transport. Train to Stafford, then bus to Gnosall and walk the last couple of miles up the towpath, as I remember. Nantwich has a railway station.

MP.

But it is quite a hike from Nantwich station to the canal . . . done it a few times!

For me Shroppie every time, we have made that choice twice this year (there and back). The lock count is lower, as the T&M has that annoying situation of going up locks just to come straight back down.  

If you have not done Harecastle tunnel, that that is probably a reason to go that way though, but on the other and the Shroppie has the long lines of offside moorings.

On 05/09/2023 at 14:30, Pie Eater said:

We always preferred to climb the Trent and Mersey canal and go down the Shropshire Union canal.

Are you aware that the Aylesbury Canal Society have a complete list of launderettes which is updated regularly.

I was not aware of that, thank you!

Well I think we've decided on the Shroppie. Roughly aiming for Gailey, Gnosall, Market Drayton and maybe Nantwich if not straight onto the Llangollen. Hopefully some isolated weeks in between settlements if work travel-needs allow it.

Thanks for all views and advice. Now to get hold of some wheel-fenders for this infamous shelf.

25 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Worth the walk into Nantwich though. A delightful town with loads of history. A pleasant museum. Nice pubs. We like Nantwich.

And a visit to Ginger and Pickles, a great breakfast or good cakes.

56 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

I was not aware of that, thank you!

Well I think we've decided on the Shroppie. Roughly aiming for Gailey, Gnosall, Market Drayton and maybe Nantwich if not straight onto the Llangollen. Hopefully some isolated weeks in between settlements if work travel-needs allow it.

Thanks for all views and advice. Now to get hold of some wheel-fenders for this infamous shelf.

Get aluminium wheels, much lighter to handle.

50 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

Yes, you can. There is also a good bus service from Nantwich to Audlem.

I once did a car shuffle from the marina that involved four different types of transport - the first was a ferry from the marina to the bottom lock!