Rain deflectors on narrow boat

Errwood

Featured Posts

I wondered if it was another bot, but after 13 posts I doubt it. Definitely not enough info to offer any help. I keep thinking about those plastic things they used to put on car bonnets to supposedly deflect rain and insects away from the windscreen.

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I wondered if it was another bot, but after 13 posts I doubt it. Definitely not enough info to offer any help. I keep thinking about those plastic things they used to put on car bonnets to supposedly deflect rain and insects away from the windscreen.

I was thinking about those plastic deflectors that attached to the top of the car door and covered the top of the side window, allowing it to be wound down and inch or two and deflecting the rain.

All the rage in the 70's and 80s

JSP Rain Guard Window Vent Visor | Fits 2019-2020 Chevrolet Silverado ...

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I was going to take a picture this morning of the Freeman moored near me - it has things like this on the cabin front windows, I think they are an original feature. I'm not sure how effective they are as my windows leak at the bottom which wouldn't be protected

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Tarp?

That's what I've done pending a more permanent fix (which is itself pending a dry day when I'm available!)

Perhaps something like this could be stuck on above the window with some clear PU sealant/adhesive (Stixall, CT1, etc). I wouldn't use screws.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401054160509?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=HdelAMA3QR-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=SV_sF0T7SiS&var=670580060997&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Not cheap but they might do the job and not look too horrible.

Edited by blackrose

4 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

I was going to take a picture this morning of the Freeman moored near me - it has things like this on the cabin front windows, I think they are an original feature. I'm not sure how effective they are as my windows leak at the bottom which wouldn't be protected

That's what I've done pending a more permanent fix (which is itself pending a dry day when I'm available!)

I think most of the Freemans had the "eyebrows" over the front windows.

freeman-26-1970-for-sale-st-olaves-united-kingdom-001.jpg.92bf5332b1bcbeddc565af7954c5fb54.jpg

None on the side windows though.

4 hours ago, Errwood said:

I've seen freeman my daughter has one.

We don't have issue's no leaks, but wanted to prevent any future problems.

As in Wales penty of 🌧 rain!!

I doubt anything will prevent future problems. The rubber gaskets where the glass fits into the frame perishes over time so you get leaks between glass and frame at the BOTTOM. Given time the steel cabin side rust and tend to push the frame away from whatever sealing has been used so they leak. Rain deflectors are not likely to help either of these problems.

There was a narrow boat builder who put stainless steel drain rails above the windows. Possibly Doug Moore? Not sure what the long term effect with dissimilar metals would be. Perhaps a self adhesive angle strip of some sort is available. 

7 hours ago, magnetman said:

Not sure what the long term effect with dissimilar metals would be. 

Most steel boats have dissimilar metals all over them: aluminium window frames, brass mushroom vents, brass plated door vent covers, brass skin fittings, etc. Windows and mushroom vents might be bedded in & insulated with sealant or neoprene gasket but they're often electrically connected with screws. I remember a chandler warning me about fitting dissimilar metals to my boat once so it's a common misunderstanding of the problem even amongst those in the business.

It isn't an issue on the dry topsides of a boat. Where it becomes an issue is where the dissimilar metals are immersed in an electrolyte - i.e. under the waterline. A bit of rain isn't going to be a problem unless the dissimilar metals are sitting in a puddle of standing water.

Edited by blackrose

15 hours ago, blackrose said:

Most steel boats have dissimilar metals all over them: aluminium window frames, brass mushroom vents, brass plated door vent covers, brass skin fittings, etc. Windows and mushroom vents might be bedded in & insulated with sealant or neoprene gasket but they're often electrically connected with screws. I remember a chandler warning me about fitting dissimilar metals to my boat once so it's a common misunderstanding of the problem even amongst those in the business.

It isn't an issue on the dry topsides of a boat. Where it becomes an issue is where the dissimilar metals are immersed in an electrolyte - i.e. under the waterline. A bit of rain isn't going to be a problem unless the dissimilar metals are sitting in a puddle of standing water.

You are assuming that the area in question is mostly dry. I think that a gutter specifically designed to prevent water getting to the window frames is somewhere liable to get damp. 

IF the items were bolted on and it was not done immaculately well it isn't implausible that a moisture trap could form between the two parts and cause a problem of galvanic corrosion which is what I was referring to. 

Obviously if it was stainless welded to mild steel its ideal and no problem but I was thinking of something bolted on. 

Probably not a big deal and obviously nothing bad happens if it stays dry but the question must be does it in fact stay dry or might it remain damp for long periods of time. 

I don't believe anyone would think there would be a problem for areas which are dry. 

Edited by magnetman