August - WTF?

blackrose

Featured Posts

I remember two very wet Augusts in the early 1970's.  One year four of us spent a fortnight touring Wales and the West Country, and the only day with sun and blue skies was at St.Davids in Pembrokeshire. I have a photo of us somewhere in Cornwall standing in the pouring rain next to a notice exhorting the public to save water. We got stuck in Lynmouth for a couple of hours when an artic, heavily laden with steel, couldn't make it up the steep main road in the pouring rain and had  slid backwards,   jack-knifing itself across the road and wedging its trailer between the stone walls on opposite sides. The only available recovery truck  had had to make  long detour to get uphill of it to move it. One of the tyres of the tractor unit, only a year old from its number plate, was not just bald, but actually worn down to the cords, so perhaps not surprising it had lost grip.

In another August fortnight a year or so later at Brixham, we never saw the sun until around 6PM, and on a visit to Tintagel, we couldn't see the sea from the rain-beaten clifftop car park due to the low cloud. Much of the drive back to Brixham was in fog so thick that sometimes you couldn't clearly see the opposite side of the road from behind the steering wheel, which made taking right-hand turns an interesting experience. Of course those years were followed by the heat wave summers of 1975 and 1976. 

The British Isles have weather, rather than climate.

Edited by Ronaldo47

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

It could be worse 

If the weather moves his car he is going to end up with broken shins. 😑

12 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Happy days for the local bodyshops.

Kid on a bike gets wiped out at the start, he comes out but not the bike, wonder if it's wedged under the camper?

Several of the idiots (I looked for a more gentle word) were lucky to survive. I wonder if they know that?

43 minutes ago, Theo said:

If the weather moves his car he is going to end up with broken shins. 😑

Or worse , but he escaped.

There are several incidents throughout  the video up to the end where the severity of  damage to some of the vehicles is  shown.

22 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Actually no. Having my father, a lifelong naval officer around, we took the sea very seriously.

I meant more making rash decisions that as an adult you’d pause and think through first.