Cable crimping tools

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

hair dryer doesn't really cut it for heat shrink on heavy cables and lugs. I have an old electric paint stripper, left over from my house owning days.

I have been known to use the cooker gas flame on heatshrink when I have forgotten my heatshrink gun.😱

The hammer-set die-and-anvil crimpers seem to work better with lugs having a longer sleeve. This allows you to get two crimp spots in along the bared ends of the cable. More contact area, better holding power.

When I first did my battery wiring I used lugs from Vehicle Wiring Products, whose 45mm CSA lugs come with generously proportioned sleeves. Sleeves so long you could wipe your nose on them in cold weather should you need to. Since then, I've had to buy other lugs. Neither Midland Chandlers nor Amazon sell lugs with sleeves that amount to more than 2/3 of the VWP ones.

Oh, and @Jen-in-Wellies, I'd recommend a tree stump or short log ( used lengthwise) for the base supporting your anvil. I already have a chunky log onboard for log splitting with my axe, and it gives just the right level of firmness and vibration damping. Used off the boat, of course.

11 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

I have been known to use the cooker gas flame on heatshrink when I have forgotten my heatshrink gun.😱

Small camping stove. Portable and ideal for use in close proximity to potentially explosive battery gases and diesel fumes.

8 minutes ago, Puffling said:

camping stove. Portable and ideal for use in close proximity to potentially explosive battery gases and diesel fumes.

No I use the one in the kitchen.

I never make up cables when they are connected in situ always make them elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, GUMPY said:
14 minutes ago, Puffling said:

No I use the one in the kitchen.

Same here. Obviously not your kitchen, I think you would have noticed.

Mrs R was particualrily impressed when i applied heatshrink to 60 odd bus bars for the lithiums.

37 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I have an old electric paint stripper, left over from my house owning days.

First time I've ever heard of electric paint. Do you have any further details please? Sounds jolly useful. 

• Unimpressed 1

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

First time I've ever heard of electric paint. Do you have any further details please? Sounds jolly useful.

Black, Red, Brown (or Electric Blue) paint is great but that green and yellow striped paint is the devil to apply

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

I have a feeling you use electric paint on wrought iron work. You connect up the fence and I think the brush and the electrical action helps the paint stick

I am going to Google it now

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

Afraid not, I removed it all with the stripper ages ago. Can't even remember what colour it was. Possibly electric blue? Might even have been electric green and yellow stripes!

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I have a feeling you use electric paint on wrought iron work. You connect up the fence and I think the brush and the electrical action helps the paint stick

I am going to Google it now

https://dcs-ind.com/2014/06/19/your-home-the-science-of-electrostatic-painting-on-wrought-iron/

Found it electrostatic painting

Apparently you get electric paint sprayers

On 14/07/2023 at 09:45, Tonka said:

https://dcs-ind.com/2014/06/19/your-home-the-science-of-electrostatic-painting-on-wrought-iron/

Found it electrostatic painting

Apparently you get electric paint sprayers

More than fifty years ago, when I worked in the furniture industry, we used electrostatic paint to enamel metal chair frames. Basicly the frames were suspended on an overhead gantry, and a current run through them, the paint, which is in powder form was then sprayed onto the frames. They were then carried on the gantry into a heated booth, "melting" the powder into paint which adhered to the frames. Any paint powder which fell to the floor of the spraying booth was collected and re-cycled back into the powder tank.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

On 14/07/2023 at 09:39, Rincewind said:

Black, Red, Brown (or Electric Blue) paint is great but that green and yellow striped paint is the devil to apply

I wonder how you'd apply the paint on this Scottish camper van we parked next to ............

20230625_115027.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

• 2 weeks later...