Impromptu haircut

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Hi All, we went on first mini cruise over this weekend since arriving at Tattenhall - into Chester.. Lovely trip.... only issue is there are some seriously overgrown weeping willows near the Cheshire Cat and in some other places - so much so you're going in blind and you feel like you're in some exotic Flake advert.

If i had some shears with me would it be permitted to give these haircuts or would the owner get upset/start getting all legal?

Edited by robtheplod

13 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All, we went on first mini cruise over this weekend since arriving at Tattenhall - into Chester.. Lovely trip.... only issue is there are some seriously overgrown weeping willows near the Cheshire Cat and in some other places - so much so you're going in blind and you feel like you're in some exotic Flake advert.

If i had some shears with me would it be permitted to give these haircuts or would the owner get upset/start getting all legal?

I always keep meaning to have my shears handy for that job. Some of the overhanging is dangerous and obscures the view ahead. I'll remember to have my shears ready, next time, going through Alrewas. It's very tight there, and a good view is critical.

31 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

If the willows are impeding the navigation I don't think anyone would have a legitimate complaint if you give them a haircut. When I go under overhanging willows I snap off as many twigs as I can in the hope other do same to the benefit of all.

• Greenie 2

I lost a tiller pin to a weeping willow. It didn't have a retaining clip fitted and the willow leaves pulled it out of the tiller and dropped it in the cut. I was concentrating on where the boat was going through the dangling forest, so didn't wonder what the kerplunk sound was till it was far too late.

It was a home made iron snail pin, so I was rather annoyed. The Mark 2 version has a retaining clip. IMG_20230710_110736.jpg.7e64a9aeb7fa256cd2d0f0c4e72a80b3.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

If the willows are impeding the navigation I don't think anyone would have a legitimate complaint if you give them a haircut. When I go under overhanging willows I snap off as many twigs as I can in the hope other do same to the benefit of all.

We do this too, J always maintains that if everyone did they'd not be a problem.

There's a particularly nasty branch on a corner near the golf course between Hillmorton and Brownsover, it's been cut in the past but is about 1.5" in diameter and nicely at head height especially if you meet another boat at that point, DAMHIK. One day i'll remember to have the pruning saw ready.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I always wonder whether CRT are empowered to require the tree owners to prune such hazards to navigation. 

I expect the legal position is the same as with branches overhanging your garden from a neighbour's tree, you can cut them back to the property boundary -- but in theory you have to ask them if they want the branches back...

Whether boaters can do this or only CART is another issue... 😉

Edited by IanD

3 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

thanks for this...

I've just contacted CRT to let them know, giving the what3words location. I've also asked on if boaters are permitted to trim these..... if i hear back I'll post the reply!

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Maybe i could rig up an electric  hedge cutter horizontally about a foot above the roof - one thats 6 feet long or so, automate the process!  Create my own tunnels?!

Good idea! If you do, can we suggest a few places you may wish to pass on your travels? 

• Greenie 1

The problem with overhanging tree branches is when there is fishing line and tackle stuck in it. We very nearlyhad a nasty accident on the Bridgewater with a fishing lure in amongst the tree branches. My better half was driving and was concentrating more on giving the oncoming boat enough room - fortunately I did spot it and was able to move the branches away from her face. Sadly I was unable to remove the lure and line.

21 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Except the last post looks incorrect, according to every reference I can find it doesn't matter how pretty the tree is, if it overhangs and is causing an obstruction CART can cut branches off it whether the tree owner likes it or not. Exactly this happened a couple of weeks ago two houses down the road from us where tree surgeons cut off all the tree branches overhanging the garden of a neighbour (who is frankly a complete PITA), leaving the tree looking hideous and unbalanced -- see photo.

(yes I know Leylandii are horrible, but that's not the point...)

It's obviously more sensible to try and contact the owner to sort things out and agree what should be done, but this is probably not easy -- maybe almost impossible -- along the canals, and even if you could find them most landowners wouldn't care anyway -- especially weeping willows which grow like weeds.

trees.jpg

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, PCSB said:

The problem with overhanging tree branches is when there is fishing line and tackle stuck in it. We very nearlyhad a nasty accident on the Bridgewater with a fishing lure in amongst the tree branches. My better half was driving and was concentrating more on giving the oncoming boat enough room - fortunately I did spot it and was able to move the branches away from her face. Sadly I was unable to remove the lure and line.

I once managed to stop the boat long enough near the bottom of a lock on the Shroppie to remove an entire rod, reel and spinning lure from an overhanging tree, sadly it was rusted beyond repair so went in the next bin we found. Someone had obviously got so mad at being snagged they'd just launched the lot at the tree :( 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I once managed to stop the boat long enough near the bottom of a lock on the Shroppie to remove an entire rod, reel and spinning lure from an overhanging tree, sadly it was rusted beyond repair so went in the next bin we found. Someone had obviously got so mad at being snagged they'd just launched the lot at the tree :( 

Or the tree ate the fisherman... 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbp-BnSORbvQ-IbvPFCO1

Just sayin' ...

One of these, with the guard mesh removed. A public service to other boaters. Despite the vegetation and the lack of depth this picture isn't from a CaRT waterway.

Air_boat.jpeg.5294fca2ec9b2e268fa4a9c7b94c297f.jpeg

By USGS South Florida Information Access, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1140200

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Or the tree ate the fisherman... 

Or the elastix effect of the branches. I saw an angler struggling with caught gear and when it finally released the lure was catapulted across and narrowly missed him. I could imagine a circumstance where the branches bending back after a yank would take the rod out of your hands if it is strong line. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Maybe i could rig up an electric  hedge cutter horizontally about a foot above the roof - one thats 6 feet long or so, automate the process!  Create my own tunnels?!

I've often wondered why CRT or their contractors don't use a shallow draughted boat with a hedge cutter attached, similar to the ones farmers use to keep hedges tidy. After the initial cut back to remove the thickest branches, it would keep the offside vegetation under control with a trim one every year, which must be more cost effective than manually sawing through thick branches every few years which seems to be their present regime.

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Exactly this happened a couple of weeks ago two houses down the road from us where tree surgeons cut off all the tree branches overhanging the garden of a neighbour (who is frankly a complete PITA), leaving the tree looking hideous and unbalanced -- see photo.

Or this:

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/37B1/production/_119075241_front1.jpg.webp

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-57598101

• Haha 2