Engine service

Silent Flight

Featured Posts

Hello all, 

Looking to get my engine serviced. It’s a beta 43. Could use North Kilworth Marina I’m currently at. Only thing is it would go in the workshop and then come back serviced.

In a ideal world I could watch and pick up a few things, or even someone that instructs you how to service?

I’m hoping it would be a man in a van with good word of mouth. Hopefully something like this exists!

Any suggestions welcome thanks!

I’m all up for DIY the only thing I haven’t done so far is a bit of welding. But now one of my pals has bought some welding bits that will soon change as gunna learn with him!

Haha a grunty chap that takes my money doesn’t sound great when you put it like that.

You reckon YouTube it?

41 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I think RCR offer the 'service your engine while you watch and learn' option, not sure if you have to be a member nor how much they charge... suspect the quality will depend on who they send. 

Servicing and costs are on their site. I couldn't see the learn while your boat is serviced option they used to offer but it was only a quick look at the site.

I had an RCR engineer service my engine and he was quite happy for me to do it and him watch and tell me what to do. I did not take him up on this but watched him do it to learn that way. Next service I will do myself.

• Greenie 1

I watched RCR service my engine once. I just booked a standard engine service and asked the chap if he would mind if I watched. He said "No problem" and gave a running commentry as he did it.

I've done my own servicing ever since.

Edited by Alway Swilby

17 hours ago, robtheplod said:

The Beta 43 is very easy to service..... you could have fun and save money, and probably do a better job if you DIY'ed?   The engine doesn't leave the boat... the chap arrives, grunts a lot then leaves.. :)

I can change the oil, but I get someone to service once a year as I can't check engine mounts or change gearbox fluid . Last time it was a hire company, they used a different spec of oil, and my engine is on half their fleet, so they know how to look after them. They checked the weed hatch and also vacuumed the boat.

• Greenie 1

Some 20 years ago I went on a one day diesel engine maintenance course in Rugby.  Done all my own servicing since then. The course fee, can't remember how much, paid for itself many times over.

• Greenie 1

We used RCR and just let them do it. It is an easy engine to service to be honest and if I was younger I would take it on. Being older and more cynical perhaps I take the view that things with me can and do go wrong and I do not need the hassle when that happens. Perhaps a more important aspect is that these guys have the containers to dispose of waste oil etc. and can dispose of it in a more environmentally convenient way than I can. (I hope)

• Greenie 1

On 05/07/2023 at 14:47, SLC said:

We used RCR and just let them do it. It is an easy engine to service to be honest and if I was younger I would take it on. Being older and more cynical perhaps I take the view that things with me can and do go wrong and I do not need the hassle when that happens. Perhaps a more important aspect is that these guys have the containers to dispose of waste oil etc. and can dispose of it in a more environmentally convenient way than I can. (I hope)

Me entirely!

I know that servicing could be defined as oil change and new filter but this is something I can do myself

I want the engine  mounts checked , the gear box, and any other things I can't do, eg grease gun on tiller. I much prefer to have someone who works full time as a boat mechanic than a boater who knows how to change oil.

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

I know that servicing could be defined as oil change and new filter but this is something I can do myself

I want the engine  mounts checked , the gear box, and any other things I can't do, eg grease gun on tiller. I much prefer to have someone who works full time as a boat mechanic than a boater who knows how to change oil.

Quite frankly I'm shocked you have a gun on your tiller at all. Never mind the fact it requires greasing. Must be a rough area you go boating.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Quite frankly I'm shocked you have a gun on your tiller at all. Never mind the fact it requires greasing. Must be a rough area you go boating.

Yes, she's just been through Huddersfield. 😝

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Yes, she's just been through Huddersfield. 😝

Correction m'lud, to the University and back is not "through" Huddersfield ;) 

But she was moored down Deighton/Sheepridge way, which is very much bandit country.

• Haha 1

If people prefer to pay somebody for whatever reason that's fair enough and on the canals you also have a breakdown service if you want, but none of this stuff is rocket science. DIY gives a better understanding of how everything works, means that you stand a better chance of resolving problems as they occur (and they will occur) and of course saves you money...

22 minutes ago, Crewcut said:

If people prefer to pay somebody for whatever reason that's fair enough and on the canals you also have a breakdown service if you want, but none of this stuff is rocket science. DIY gives a better understanding of how everything works, means that you stand a better chance of resolving problems as they occur (and they will occur) and of course saves you money...

My thoughts exactly, which is why I put the courses together rather than going back on the tools and earning a great deal more.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Crewcut said:

I think I do have a pretty good idea of 'how things work', if not always the practicalities of how to do it, but alas my flexibility is uncooperative.

7 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I think I do have a pretty good idea of 'how things work', if not always the practicalities of how to do it, but alas my flexibility is uncooperative.

I have a very good idea about how to climb to the top of the 80' Leylandii at the bottom of our garden with a chainsaw (which I have) and remove bits, but I'd much rather pay somebody else to do it... 😉

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

In that case when you book the job don't ask for an engine service because that is not what you want.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

In that case when you book the job don't ask for an engine service because that is not what you want.

Quite.

I get this in my line of business too. 

"Punter" Can you come and service my boiler please? 

Me: Yes how about next Friday?

Punter: Can't you come any quicker? 

Me: Why, isn't it working?

Punter: No we've had no heating or hot water for a week

Me: Ok so you actually need a breakdown repair not a service!