Giant hogweed

IanD

Featured Posts

again in the interests of perspective I thought this article was a balanced and informative piece and being from the woodland trust should be reasonably accurate. 

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2022/06/giant-hogweed-facts/

There is quite a lot of it around in Lancashire and something we were always aware of as children. I'm sure we were told that it came in with the cotton bales from the US, but I suspect that its more that there are lots rivers/streams and some of those had water powered cotton mills of course. 

Edited by jonathanA
sp

10 minutes ago, IanD said:

P.P.S. Why does every simple question on CWDF end up as a ding-dong flame war of "my opinion is better than yours"? 😞

Not sure but you often seem to in the thick of one...🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

again in the interests of perspective I thought this article was a balanced and informative piece and being from the woodland trust should be reasonably accurate. 

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2022/06/giant-hogweed-facts/

There is quite a lot of it around in Lancashire and something we were always aware of as children. I'm sure we were told that it came in with the cotton bales from the US, but I suspect that its more that there are lots rivers/streams and some of those had water powered cotton mills of course. 

It seems there's a lot more of it around than there used to be though, and possibly people are less aware of it because familiarity breeds contempt?

OTOH scare stories and all the easily-found pictures of its effects on the internet might make people more aware of it, and put more pressure on entities like CART to try and keep it under control.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Does anyone know if CART have a policy to get rid of this, or report it?

Next to the aqueduct over the North Circular there's a lot of it behind the fencing, but there are now several plants on the towpath right next to the water's edge.

It's evil stuff, especially when there's a lot of bare flesh and sunlight around like there is now... 😞

Can I just repeat what my original post was?

After a lot of essentially pointless argument about just how bad it is or isn't compared to other nasties or whether that's what it really is at all, not a single useful answer to the question I asked... 😞

26 minutes ago, IanD said:

It seems there's a lot more of it around than there used to be though, and possibly people are less aware of it because familiarity breeds contempt?

OTOH scare stories and all the easily-found pictures of its effects on the internet might make people more aware of it, and put more pressure on entities like CART to try and keep it under control.

After a lot of essentially pointless argument about just how bad it is or isn't compared to other nasties or whether that's what it really is at all, not a single useful answer to the question I asked... 😞

Put it on CRT's Twitter and see what they say.

I did similar about the the large weed/bush/tree growths at the edge of the Puddlebanks visitor moorings some time back. The following year it had been removed. May have been coincidence, I don't know, but it's worth a try.

I don't really do Twitter but I have got an account to use for complaints, getting the attention of firms' customer services etc. The more keen they are on using Twitter the more effective such complaints seem to be.

26 minutes ago, IanD said:

Edited by Lily Rose

7 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Put it on CRT's Twitter and see what they say.

I did similar about the the large weed/bush/tree growths at the edge of the Puddlebanks visitor moorings some time back. The following year it had been removed. May have been coincidence, I don't know, but it's worth a try.

I don't really do Twitter but I have got an account to use for complaints, getting the attention of firms' customer services etc. The more keen they are on using Twitter the more effective such complaints seem to be.

After some searching I found that CART do try and remove giant hogweed and there's even a way to report it to them via their website -- which I've now done.

If someone has pointed that out an hour ago it would have saved a lot of keyboard bashing 😉

35 minutes ago, IanD said:

I was going to state the obvious and suggest ringing them. 

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I was going to state the obvious and suggest ringing them. 

I reported it online, including location -- using what3words as requested, just to annoy those who dislike it 😉

Quicker than trying to get through to the right person on the phone and getting them to write everything down -- possibly wrongly -- and gives them a documented trail of the notification, so it's harder to ignore... 🙂

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I understand that, in Ireland, land owners are legally obliged to remove any giant hogweed that is found growing on their land.

All local authorities in the UK also have priority schemes to report and remove it, but only on LA land -- which the canals aren't, CART are responsible for them. But at least they have a program to deal with it...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-wildlife/canal-and-river-invasive-species/giant-hogweed

Edited by IanD

Not the same but my bit of river here has a lot of butterbur growing on it. I thought it was gunnera but it's not. The adjacent flood meadow is full of "normal" hogweed.

355465264_305353378484977_2006215817127710069_n.jpg

Gunnera

339756751_889897608977576_6099476196640281799_n.jpg

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Plenty of Giant Hogweed along the River Bollin. Fortunately it isn't close to the Bridgewater canal. The blossoms are spectacular at the moment

Probably not where people walk right past it on a daily basis though... 😉

10 minutes ago, Tacet said:

That's odd.  There are more paraffin irons than electric in my house.

In my first boat, we found a Calor Gas fired iron.

Worked quite well actually, and you could actually see the gas flames playing on the upper face of the sole. How things change. I can't imagine anything like that being considered acceptable nowadays. I also remember as a child, my grandma having an electric iron which plugged into the centre light pendant as she had no power sockets anywhere. Just electric lighting. Although on reflection they also had a telly, and that wasn't Calor Gas fired...

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

In my first boat, we found a Calor Gas fired iron.

Worked quite well actually, and you could actually see the gas flames playing on the upper face of the sole. How things change. I can't imagine anything like that being considered acceptable nowadays. I also remember as a child, my grandma having an electric iron which plugged into the centre light pendant as she had no power sockets anywhere. Just electric lighting. Although on reflection they also had a telly, and that wasn't Calor Gas fired...

My gran eventually got an electric kettle, which she melted the base of by putting it on her electric hotplate... 😞