Giant hogweed

IanD

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if CART have a policy to get rid of this, or report it?

Next to the aqueduct over the North Circular there's a lot of it behind the fencing, but there are now several plants on the towpath right next to the water's edge.

It's evil stuff, especially when there's a lot of bare flesh and sunlight around like there is now... 😞

19 minutes ago, IanD said:

Does anyone know if CART have a policy to get rid of this, or report it?

Next to the aqueduct over the North Circular there's a lot of it behind the fencing, but there are now several plants on the towpath right next to the water's edge.

It's evil stuff, especially when there's a lot of bare flesh and sunlight around like there is now... 😞

Judging by the ancient sign near New Mills, the policy is to put up a big sign 

It doesn't say why giant hogweed is dangerous.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Judging by the ancient sign near New Mills, the policy is to put up a big sign 

It doesn't say why giant hogweed is dangerous.

That might be OK if the plants are well off the towpath, for example behind a fence or up an embankment.

When they're right on the water's edge immediately next to the towpath (and walkers and cyclists...) I don't think that would be seen as acceptable today, any more than it would be if it was growing at the kerbside right next to the pavement where mums push buggies along... 😞

This isn't "elf'n'safety gone mad", it's *really* nasty stuff if it gets onto the skin and then exposed to sunlight.

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Just googled Hogweed. 
I think I’ve made this year’s wine from it. 

You can do that with either cow parsley or hogweed, both harmless native members of the carrot family.

Trying the same with giant hogweed is contraindicated, to put it mildly...

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, IanD said:

That might be OK if the plants are well off the towpath, for example behind a fence or up an embankment.

When they're right on the water's edge immediately next to the towpath (and walkers and cyclists...) I don't think that would be seen as acceptable today, any more than it would be if it was growing at the kerbside right next to the pavement where mums push buggies along... 😞

This isn't "elf'n'safety gone mad", it's *really* nasty stuff if it gets onto the skin and then exposed to sunlight.

Just read a BBC news story where it is classed as the most dangerous plant in the uk

It was in independent and here is a link

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/giant-hogweed-burns-identification-cow-parsley-b2364373.html

Edited by Tonka
Link added

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Just read a BBC news story where it is classed as the most dangerous plant in the uk

A bit of hyperbole therei think, it's nasty stuff if you get the sap on your skin and the get exposed to sunlight but it causes blisters, that's all, nasty nasty blisters and can increase sensitivity to sunlight long term but let's have some perspective 

Just now, Tonka said:

That is it. Think it mentioned a place near you

Indeed, Boston Manor's only a few miles away. I'd seen that story, and then having spotted the hogweed yesterday is what prompted my post...

Just now, tree monkey said:

A bit of hyperbole therei think, it's nasty stuff if you get the sap on your skin and the get exposed to sunlight but it causes blisters, that's all, nasty nasty blisters and can increase sensitivity to sunlight long term but let's have some perspective 

That is an experts view

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Why not go and read up on other similar cases before poo-poohing it?

Severe blistering and pain for months or even years is not what most people would lightly dismiss... 😞

Just now, IanD said:

Indeed, Boston Manor's only a few miles away. I'd seen that story, and then having spotted the hogweed yesterday is what prompted my post...

Forgive me for questioning your ID but I sorta deal with scares about this stuff a lot and most are actually about the normal UK native hogweed and not the actual giant hogweed.

Normal hogweed has a similar but less extreme effect if you strim a field of it in shorts and a T shirt, ( don't ask how I know this) 

• Haha 1

Forgive me for questioning your ID but I sorta deal with scares about this stuff a lot and most are actually about the normal UK native hogweed and not the actual giant hogweed.

Normal hogweed has a similar but less extreme effect if you strim a field of it in shorts and a T shirt, ( don't ask how I know this) 

This stuff is up to maybe 8' tall with stalks about 2" thick and flower heads several feet across. I don't think there's the slightest doubt what it is, but if you don't believe me I'll take a photo next time I go past it... 😉

3 minutes ago, Tonka said:

That is an experts view

I won't claim the expert label but I am very familiar with the plant, I have dealt with it a fair amount over the years

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

Why not go and read up on other similar cases before poo-poohing it?

Severe blistering and pain for months or even years is not what most people would lightly dismiss... 😞

FFS look I am not poo poohing the story, I am saying a little perspective is needed, the country is full of plants far far more nasty that this one and stories like this cause fear and panic 

1 minute ago, IanD said:

This stuff is up to maybe 8' tall with stalks about 2" thick and flower heads several feet across. I don't think there's the slightest doubt what it is, but if you don't believe me I'll take a photo next time I go past it... 😉

In which case it probably is but I deal with panicking members of the public all the time and almost ALL of the plants are normal hogweed or its relatives 

• Greenie 1

I won't claim the expert label but I am very familiar with the plant, I have dealt with it a fair amount over the years

FFS look I am not poo poohing the story, I am saying a little perspective is needed, the country is full of plants far far more nasty that this one and stories like this cause fear and panic 

So why is the expert saying it is the worse

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Such as...?

(yes I know -- foxgloves, laburnum, various other poisonous ones. But unlike them giant hogweed seems to be spreading quite rapidly -- I don't remember seeing this lot by the canal before)

I'm not trying to promote fear and panic, I'm asking whether CART have a way to report the plant and a policy to remove it.

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Such as...?

(yes I know -- foxgloves, laburnum, various other poisonous ones. But unlike them giant hogweed seems to be spreading quite rapidly -- I don't remember seeing this lot by the canal before)

Deadly Nightshade used to be bad when children used the stems as blow pipes

Just now, Tonka said:

So why is the expert saying it is the worse

Because it makes a great headline, it's nasty but it's not that common and it causes blisters, there are common plants out there that can kill and some have lovely shiney succulent berries, long term sensitivity to the sun on the areas caught by the sap is probably preferable 

I was on the Aquaduct and took pics a couple of weeks ago. 

Would check them but some scrote nicked me phone when I was moored up the following night in Tottenham 🤬

There is ALOT of it up North . See no end of the GIANT stuff coming down the Ouse from Ripon and some on the A&C too. Was some next to the towpath as I was moored at Boroughbridge/Milby too. Confirmed by a chap who was telling me which plants were good to eat so figured he knew his stuff.

Am I the only one who has a compulsion to touch it to see if I get blisters or not 😀

Edited by PaulJ

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

Such as...?

I'm not trying to promote fear and panic, I'm asking whether CART have a way to report the plant and a policy to remove it.

Well laburnum can kill, foxglove can kill, nightshade can kill, water dropwort can kill, all common.

I know what your asking, I am just trying to add some perspective to the "most dangerous" hyperbole 

17 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I like the way he has ever so neatly roached his fag papers. 
Does smoking a herbal remedy help with the pain?

Well spotted :)

7 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Because it makes a great headline, it's nasty but it's not that common and it causes blisters, there are common plants out there that can kill and some have lovely shiney succulent berries, long term sensitivity to the sun on the areas caught by the sap is probably preferable 

I suspect the people who have been afflicted with long-lasting burns and blistering might disagree with you about how acceptable it is...

For anything nasty you can always find something worse -- hey, being stabbed isn't that bad compared to having your whole family blown to bits by terrorists, stop whinging.

Doesn't make being stabbed nice though, does it? 😉

P.S. I agree that "the most dangerous" is hyperbole, which is why I never said it 🙂

P.P.S. Why does every simple question on CWDF end up as a ding-dong flame war of "my opinion is better than yours"? 😞

Edited by IanD