George ward eviction taking place

kris88

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I know it's not insured for anybody on board because I discussed that very thing with a crane driver a few years ago.

Don't need to be an expert, it's common sense.

You can insure any risk if you are prepared to pay the premium. 

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

5:47pm

'IT'S NOT OVER YET'

A significant development just in - George has agreed to move from his current mooring and could leave Wiltshire for a new home 200 miles away.

The boating community are hoping to tow his boat through the canal lock at Bradford on Avon to a new mooring further up the canal to near the Airsprung factory on the Canal Road industrial estate in Trowbridge. 

They have been told to contact the CRT on Thursday with an update. Leading member of the local canal community Laura Darling said: “It’s not over yet”. 

George said: “I am having to give in to their unlawful demands and I’ll organise removing the boat from their waterways. 

“I’m going to move the boat to the Lincoln Brayford Pool where the mooring is owned by Lincoln City Council and out of the CRT waterways. 

“They had no lawful order to move my boat and no warrant to enter or possession order. It was an attempt at unlawful eviction without the correct court orders and due process.”

Brayford pool is on CRT waterways as far as I know?

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You can insure any risk if you are prepared to pay the premium. 

What about elfin safety? Surely that kicks in at some stage with high risk jobs and presumably overrides insurance. 

7 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Brayford pool is on CRT waterways as far as I know?

It seems incredibly unlikely that someone who has been doing battle with the CRT for over ten years in one particular location has no local connections. There will be something making a move to a completely different part of the country unlikely to happen. You can't do that sort of thing unless you have no support network of any sort. The very fact people have offered to relocate the boat means there is a support network. 

More delaying tactics. 

• Greenie 1

I'm not going to pay my licence anymore because I plan to move my boat to one of those canals on Mars that I've read about, but it might take a little while to get myself and the technology sorted out. 😀

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It seems incredibly unlikely that someone who has been doing battle with the CRT for over ten years in one particular location has no local connections. There will be something making a move to a completely different part of the country unlikely to happen. You can't do that sort of thing unless you have no support network of any sort. The very fact people have offered to relocate the boat means there is a support network. 

More delaying tactics. 

He will need the help of his "support network " to help him with the locals in Brayford. 

They don't suffer fools!

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

I'm not going to pay my licence anymore because I plan to move my boat to one of those canals on Mars that I've read about, but it might take a little while to get myself and the technology sorted out. 😀

You may have to pay a licence fee to the ice warriors. IceWarrior2013.jpg

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

He will need the help of his "support network " to help him with the locals in Brayford. 

They don't suffer fools!

The boat won't be going anywhere near there. 

Its more delaying tactics. 

What really needs to happen is for a judge in a court to say it is fine for people to keep boats on towpaths, never move, cause a nuisance to staff and locals and be allowed to carry on. Oh yes and storing your gear on the path is fine too. 

This would be a great step forward. 

K&A to be the first one to go private and enforced as a waterway not slums.

So what can CRT do?  They are short of cash and days loke this waste loads of money. They can get a court order to remove "boaters" like George, but it appears that they probably don't have the authority or means to enforce that judgement, and nobody else will help.  Its not really surprisingly that they have increasing enthusiasm for cycling and less for boating 😀.  I suspect that all those suppporting the Georges of this world and knocking nails into their own boating coffins, and mine too.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, dmr said:

The awful truth of the matter is that those of us that always pay our way do indeed pay for other people. I have two letters here sent to me by mistake by octopus energy. They have unknown peoples names on them and are bills for iirc about 1500 pounds and the other about 700, Ive kept them even tho octopus said to destroy them. Sent to  my address entirely by mistake. Anyway the letters state that if 70 percent of the bill is paid within 30 days then octopus will meet the rest, as in giving the non payers a 30 percent discount. Who are the fools here!!

I suppose its depends on what sort of religion you have, but I reckon that we are going to be re-incarnated as lurchers and all the scroungers and entitled parasites will come back as bunnies 😀.

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

It is important to remember that BSS is not the same as MOT. The latter considers matters that relate to the safety of the driver and passengers as well as other people whilst (in theory at least) BSS is limited to matters that affect others. Hence the debate about CO being made compulsory (a good idea but does not impact others in th way that BSS envisages).

Also, if a boat does not have certain things - eg gas - then a whole raft of items are not considered. It is surprising what can pass a BSS!

In respect of other postings, please, everyone, be careful what you assume and allege - this is (as you might imagine) a very complex case which has already absorbed a lot of CaRT time not to mention other agencies. What would be helpful is to wish that the case is resolved satisfactorily - not a given.

I'm just giving an opinion, I don't think anyone would want to get involved in this affair .

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

More delaying tactics.

Indeed, it would be surprising if during the course of today's events Ward had applied for and been granted a mooring in Brayford Pool, and the cranage and transport had all been arranged!

28 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Indeed, it would be surprising if during the course of today's events Ward had applied for and been granted a mooring in Brayford Pool, and the cranage and transport had all been arranged!

Why? Other people could have been organising it. 

Given that George has very limited resources, and very limited powers, what are his alternatives to improve his housing situation.?

Given that CART has very limited resources in relation to what it is entrusted to maintain, and limited powers, what are their alternatives, to improve the situation on just a very limited section of the many many miles of their waterways, what are their alternatives to improve the situation here?

Given that territorial housing authorities are facing increasing demands against reducing already inadequate funding, and requirements to operate within their limited powers, what are their alternatives to improve the situation here?

I really don't  know.

But I think that increasing the resourcing of provision of social services  is probably more cost effective then increasing enforcement, and custody provisions.

It is the fundemental constraints we accept  in the societies we live in, that disabled, severly disadvantaged and some  just b awkward people,  provide really almost unresolvable challenges. Constraints that most of us accept as a cost of limiting the disadvantage that these people are already suffering.

Moving the challenge elsewhere is rarely resolution, or even an improvement. 

I see it fairly simply - CRT had to try to evict/remove boat yesterday, and probably knew nothing would happen (but genuinely tried all the same, hence welfare, police, etc). They will now try to obtain an injunction for breach of a court order, at which point the police CAN intervene, the police will arrest him for breach of court order, they will physically remove him from the boat, then CRT will tow it away. Expect a lot of public services manpower to be consumed. Hopefully they'll put screens up, for some dignity, like they do in bad traffic accidents on the motorway.

• Greenie 1

Almost all of George's supporters do have a CRT license, BSS etc.. .so while they fight his corner they pay into the system he's opposing. They wouldn't dare put themselves in George's position! The Julian House lot just do it to make themselves feel useful, under the guise of 'charity'...

If we take this back to basics quite a lot of it revolves around living on a boat on a random piece of towpath mooring and establishing use. I am not sure how it all works but this Ward character did say the CRT were taking the boat by "adverse possession". 

i don't know if this term applies to goods and chattels but it is a term used for claiming ownership of land after certain time periods. 

It seems to me that there will be others who are interested in having their own bits of towpath. 

I don't find it implausible that this is quite organised. 

Not an expert on it by any means but him using that phrase did pique my interest slightly. 

As for advice it seems rather unwise to take it from someone who has already successfully lost at least one boat to the CRT section 8 process. Tony Dunkley lost his boat. He is fixated by the idea that he still owns it. Immovable attitude. Be careful with this type of person as their inflexibility can be quite a detrimental characteristic.