The Big Getaway....or not...

matty40s

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, Bacchus said:

image.png.c17e2e9ae746789b9532c0bf9ae1a8ea.png

May I ask where the info in this format can be found. I can just about (I think) read the website name here but when I enter it I get the info spread over a couple of pages and without the flow rates shown. (Could it be because I’m using an iPad?). 

A bit frosty on the boat roof in Stone this morning, the moorings were almost full and a couple of boats moved off first thing.  The bottom gates on Star Lock look like they could burst open at anytime as the towpath side gate is going beyond the offside gate when closed.

IMG_20230408_070316463_HDR.thumb.jpg.dc9eb193b88d47d0044ae0bdd995f465.jpg

IMG_20230407_161920280_HDR.thumb.jpg.c42f629c113cd91f21e333637ed24c76.jpg

53 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Misty morning hop.

So Welford, the retail capital of ....Welford, or Foxton and Market Harborough before they shut it for Summer??

Anywhere that involves an overnight stop at Laughton Hills 🙂

Stuck on SSA on my own boat as well as customers- Im so jealous and developing cabin fever now..😀

22 hours ago, magnetman said:

Was this in the Thames? 

Red boards all over so not many people out on boats this weekend I think. 

Interested by the signage I've never seen such a thing by the River. 

Maybe you meant a smaller river. 

sorry, been away in Henley. Drinking...

Yes - Thames at Staines - a hand-written note tied to a lamppost! I will try to get a photo later

22 hours ago, Loddon said:

the pub is called for.

Exactly - see my reply to @magnetman  😁

3 hours ago, Northener said:

May I ask where the info in this format can be found. I can just about (I think) read the website name here but when I enter it I get the info spread over a couple of pages and without the flow rates shown. (Could it be because I’m using an iPad?). 

"where smooth waters glide" - not sure who maintains it, but I find it a very good and informative site

https://thames.me.uk/s00470.htm

• Greenie 2

Its been busy today, I spotted one boat in the distance as we turned up The Rushall canal and another arrived to use the services when we were at the Longwood Boat club

7 hours ago, Rob-M said:

A bit frosty on the boat roof in Stone this morning, the moorings were almost full and a couple of boats moved off first thing.  The bottom gates on Star Lock look like they could burst open at anytime as the towpath side gate is going beyond the offside gate when closed.

IMG_20230408_070316463_HDR.thumb.jpg.dc9eb193b88d47d0044ae0bdd995f465.jpg

IMG_20230407_161920280_HDR.thumb.jpg.c42f629c113cd91f21e333637ed24c76.jpg

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/24684/star-lock-27-stone-trent-and-mersey-canal

28 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its been busy today, I spotted one boat in the distance as we turned up The Rushall canal and another arrived to use the services when we were at the Longwood Boat club

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/24684/star-lock-27-stone-trent-and-mersey-canal

I had seen the stoppage notice, I'll be surprised if they last out until the stoppage,  although Star Lock isn't leaking anything like the fourth lock up.  Had to help a couple of boats through there today that couldn't get a level to open the top gate.

Lots heading towards Hawkesbury today as we headed back, got to Brownsover about 30mins too early as absolutely rammed and ended up moored a ways the other side. Obviously after were stopped about four of the boats we passed came by :( 

4 hours ago, Annie cariad said:

Moored at bridge 103 GU it's packed !!! Loads of Kate/Braunston & Napton hire boats zooming past 

AHH the peace ........

We came past there yesterday evening, I have never see it so busy, not a single spot on the section from bridge 103 past the farm.  We moored on a bend just before bridge 102 which was the first spot on piling free.  Up the North Oxford today, near Ansty now and lots of moving boats, but not that many moored, except in Rugby, on to Atherstone tomorrow, I expect it will get quieter but who knows!

We came south through Braunston on the Oxford today never passed as many moving boats in my life! Just north of Braunston we passed a boat which has stayed in my thoughts all day, I wish I had stopped and taken a picture. It was grey I think, 50' long ish and was very tidy but had a very strong, well made sort of washing line high above the roof between two strong stayed masts.

Anyone know what that is about, please?

25 minutes ago, davidb said:

We came south through Braunston on the Oxford today never passed as many moving boats in my life! Just north of Braunston we passed a boat which has stayed in my thoughts all day, I wish I had stopped and taken a picture. It was grey I think, 50' long ish and was very tidy but had a very strong, well made sort of washing line high above the roof between two strong stayed masts.

I noticed that too, my guess is for a hammock.

On 07/04/2023 at 13:56, magnetman said:

Interested by the signage I've never seen such a thing by the River. 

My mistake - I think the sign is some local militants trying to make it look "official" like the Kwasi Kwarteng blue plaque that was stuck to Staines bridge recently

sign

image.png.462c8256e44a2fc5e2d53a4020e01c89.png

Blue plaque

image.png.50e643035b12c25f8f7715fd4d870741.png

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, davidb said:

Could be for an Amateur Radio HF antenna.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, davidb said:

it looked to be very strong wth no insulators. a lot of effort for a hammock, though.

I don’t think it would be amateur radio, it was rope between the uprights, and it was not that high, and very strong looking to just hold an aerial.  Wish I had taken a pic of it now!

2 hours ago, Annie cariad said:

At one time boats rushed through to Braunston or Napton then some idiot wrote on here how beautiful and still the moorings are down the whole length no trains/cars etc and why do people rush through . Never do that again.........

I frequently moor at bridge 103 including last week when I got my favourite spot as I often do. But - I only do that midweek, it's a different ballgame altogether at the weekend. Being Easter and fab weather only makes it worse.

If I was on the boat this weekend I'd have stayed in the marina until Monday, past experience suggests the marina is by far the quietest place to be during a sunny weekend. There'll be more cars parked there than usual but the owners of many of those will have taken their boats out and moored them up somewhere between Braunston and Napton.