Discarded fishing tackle

Momac

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, frangar said:

Any dog that tries to attack children I feel an immediate empathy with….to my mind the world would be a much better place if children were kept on a short lead and muzzled. Dogs are a good judge of character. 

Nice.

My daughter was scarred for life on her face when attacked by a dog when a toddler.

So forgive me if I won't join in with your celebration.

Edited by M_JG

On 30/12/2022 at 12:20, MartynG said:

My I ask anyone who does go fishing to not discard fishing line and hooks on the riverbank but to dispose of it responsibly.

I can't help thinking that you're request has gone out to the wrong audience.

People on this forum generally care about the waterways and wildlife and are unlikely to be the ones irresponsibly discarding fishing tackle on river and canal banks. 

Even if you went onto a internet angling forum I still think you'd be preaching to the converted because those who are actually interested enough in an activity to join a forum are the more responsible ones.

34 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Food doesn't really interest ours. First dog I  have had that isn't food oriented. 

Most days he goes all day without having breakfast. Usually eats it just before bed!

Treats he isn't massively bothered about either, unless it's fish. He loves some fish.

Are you sure your dog isn't a cat? 😉

• Haha 1

On 30/12/2022 at 15:43, magnetman said:

We had a total of 5 lurchers over the years and never had any insurance. One day my bitch ran through a barbed wire fence in her pursuit of a hare with the other two dogs.  They were away for ages. She came back after the others with a large gash in her side. Quite a big open wound actually. Gave her a clean and left her to deal with it in her basket. It was fine after a few days. 

I suppose it depends on how one deals with animals and different breeds will vary but they are more durable than some people might think. Of course if the animal becomes aggressive when injured that is different but ours never did that. 

That bitch died on my lap in the boat aged 16. 

Putting vet bills to one side, insurance would usually cover third party liability. If one of your dogs was thought to have caused serious harm that could end up pretty expensive. 

• Greenie 1

To be fair barbless was a good advance but I don't they are obligatory. 

Margarine hooks would be best. Or just tickle the fish. 

3 minutes ago, Ianws said:

Putting vet bills to one side, insurance would usually cover third party liability. If one of your dogs was thought to have caused serious harm that could end up pretty expensive. 

That's true. They were all fine with other dogs never had an incident of any sort and they spent endless hours "out of control". I suppose the incident where my bitch killed a squirrel in a park while a bloke was feeding it by hand was a bit bad in a way but we were out of sight so the dog was just not identifiable and gone like a long dog. 

Also squirrels are regarded as vermin. 

They never caused any problems with other dogs or humans. Nothing. 

Edited by magnetman

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I don’t know what the laws are now. 
I’m sure when fishing for certain stuff

like carp it used to be barbless. Maybe it’s barbless for anything other than when using lures ? 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ 

Edited by Goliath

11 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Cute though eh, hence they get a better deal than most other 'vermin'. If I was a rat I'd definitely make myself a faux fur tail cover and spend more time sitting up on my back legs... :D

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Cute though eh, hence they get a better deal than most other 'vermin'. If I was a rat I'd definitely make myself a faux fur tail cover and spend more time sitting up on my back legs... :D

OTOH nobody in the UK eats rats, but squirrels are rather tasty... 😉

Organic rat milk is very difficult to get hold of. I had been considering setting up a small milking parlour on the boat. 

I think it could be a real earner but nobody is making the miniature machinery needed. Cows yes but rats no. Thus far. 

I am afraid as far as diet is concerned I follow the science.   We have the digestive system designed to deal with both animal and vegetable material and we have teeth of an omnivore.

Also even the vegan society says to have a truly healthy vegan existence you need to take vitamin supplements.

One of my daughter's is showing worrying signs of potentially being a vegan. 

I told her the joke about the vegan mugger and also the mount everest idiots. It is up to her but vegetarian is going to be a better bet overall. Humans have adapted over the yars and we have no time machines. 

9 hours ago, magnetman said:

That's true. They were all fine with other dogs never had an incident of any sort and they spent endless hours "out of control". I suppose the incident where my bitch killed a squirrel in a park while a bloke was feeding it by hand was a bit bad in a way but we were out of sight so the dog was just not identifiable and gone like a long dog. 

They never caused any problems with other dogs or humans. Nothing. 

Rubbish. Never caused problems? How do you know? You've just admitted the dog spent time out of sight and out of control, so how on earth do you know what it's done, who it's scared? Do you have some kind of second sight, a psychic gift perhaps? You check where it's been, out of your sight, to pick up any crap it's left behind? Of course you don't. If it happens when you're not looking, it didn't happen.

Typical irresponsible dog owner.

I knew I shouldn't have looked back...

• Greenie 1

People cruising along while their unaccompanied dog runs along the towpath is becoming more common. The same with cyclists and joggers who never look back to see where their dog has crapped. It's no wonder there's so much dog mess on the towpaths. I have a dog so I'm not an anti dog person.

On 30/12/2022 at 12:29, magnetman said:

Perhaps removing all the fish from canals and redistributing them elsewhere would put the buggers off.

Not sure if they actually care about catching anything or if the aim is to sit around in a nice place looking miserable. 

Indeed, I'm convinced it they take misery pills to be get in them to in the right mood.

I've often chatted to them whilst they are carrying their tackle to their preferred fishing spot and having winded, been ignored when I pass them on my way back when they are fishing.

On 01/01/2023 at 10:40, jonathanA said:

Yep and even if the jogger / cyclist does stop to pickup, you just know the bag is going straight in the hedge as soon as they are round the next bend... 

Or hung on a branch for the poo bag fairy to collect... 😞