Discarded fishing tackle

Momac

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Petplan

I don't know the  terms of the cover they have. 

Depends on the chosen policy with them. Daughter 1 has just increased her mini dashaund cover with them which obviously cost her more in premiums.

We had a total of 5 lurchers over the years and never had any insurance. One day my bitch ran through a barbed wire fence in her pursuit of a hare with the other two dogs.  They were away for ages. She came back after the others with a large gash in her side. Quite a big open wound actually. Gave her a clean and left her to deal with it in her basket. It was fine after a few days. 

I suppose it depends on how one deals with animals and different breeds will vary but they are more durable than some people might think. Of course if the animal becomes aggressive when injured that is different but ours never did that. 

That bitch died on my lap in the boat aged 16. 

Edited by magnetman

34 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Not the excess which is 20% plus £100 if with More Than

Our dog is insured with More Than and the amount you pay depends on the chosen policy and level of cover.

They do four levels of cover. Also the excess increases for dogs over nine years old. Though not for accidents.

5 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Isn't there some kind of rule that a dog should be under the owner's control at all times?

I don't think that means that a dog has to be on a lead all the  time outdoors. In any case, those on a lead, especially those long ones with a rewind reel, are not exempt from this occurrence.

16 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I don't think that means that a dog has to be on a lead all the  time outdoors. In any case, those on a lead, especially those long ones with a rewind reel, are not exempt from this occurrence.

It doesnt.

'Under control' can mean under control of voice and good on recall.

Our dog is poor on recall so when out in public he is always on a lead.

He is gentle as and loves kids who he would make a dart for if off a lead and unfortunately could probably startle a child not used to a dog rushing towards them.

14 minutes ago, M_JG said:

It doesnt.

'Under control' can mean under control of voice and good on recall.

Our dog is poor on recall so when out in public he is always on a lead.

He is gentle as and loves kids who he would make a dart for if off a lead and unfortunately could probably startle a child not used to a dog rushing towards them.

he loves kids but couldn't eat a whole one

30 minutes ago, Tonka said:

he loves kids but couldn't eat a whole one

Yep. Ours is the same.

Although we keep him on the lead for the kids safety. Had a few times now that unattended "little angels" have run up to him and hugged him.

Fortunately he is exceptionally tolerant with kids unlike other dogs!

My dog is great with people and kids (even babies) but hates other dogs, so I only let her off the lead when I am sure there are no other four legged creatures around. 

As far as fishermen are concerned, I simply cannot understand the attraction of sitting for hours staring at the end of a 20 foot pole with very little hope of catching anything more than terminal boredom.

I'm sure they can't understand why we would want to cruise along their stretch of water in a noisy, smelly hunk of steel, disturbing the non-existent fish, even though our passage actually oxygenates the water.

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Of course it doesn't. But a dog running along the towpath when you're on the boat is under no control at all, nor, for example, can you pick up any tributes it decides to leave behind. I've not owned a dog for years, but I still think one running free on the towpath (however well behaved its owner considers it to be) is more of a menace than fishing tackle. That particular dog got hurt because of the owner's irresponsible lack of attention, not the fisherman's. It could just as well have been hit by a cyclist or terrified a toddler.

Anyway, that's for the usual grumpy dog thread and once again as I really can't be be bothered with another row about who's responsible for what (usually someone else), and everyone considers their own dog to be perfect and always,  always obedient, this is another thread I'll withdraw from!

I think you will find that not every dog owner considers their dog to be perfect and always obedient.

Thats why some like me keep their dog on a lead when in public places, like I've just said.

By all means withdraw from the thread but perhaps read it before you do?

It was rather irresponsible in a way. My younger daughter who is now 10 is "afraid" of dogs as we have not had any dogs in the family since she was born. So I suppose a lurcher running along the towpath being of no nuisance to anyone could be viewed as a problem. This was many yars ago when I was young free single and rich tall dark and handsome. I still have one of these attributes.

As for the tributes we had healthy animals. Boats were not moving all day and the deposits from the animals occurred in the morning and were disposed of appropriately. 

Times do change to be fair. A lot more people on the towpaths these days. 

For the avoidance of doubt.

The event this thread is about was on a riverbank alongside open fields  and  well away from any residential or built up areas . Only fishists and other dog walkers aout.

No mooring opportunities,

9 hours ago, MartynG said:

I suspect too many people make a living from it .

Accepting the fishists are there legitimately the leaving behind debris is unacceptable.  Not only dogs but wildlife are at risk . 

Wildlife indeed are at risk. I have been around in small boats in unusual places on the Thames over the yars. 

On more than one occasion I have seen "crucified" small water birds who had got tangled up. All of their energy goes into trying to escape from the fishing line. It won't happen  the twisted wings and broken bones were something you don't forget seeing. They have quite a bit of energy and a survival instinct. 

Nasty stuff. A lot of it about and to be fair a lot of it probably not deliberately left as it gets caught on things but it was deliberately used in the first place.

4 hours ago, Feeby100 said:

Put a hook in there bloody mouth and drag them about see if they like it crap sport if you can call it that 

Look at the brightside. They used to say more people die fishing then they do in motorsport.

4 hours ago, Tonka said:

Look at the brightside. They used to say more people die fishing then they do in motorsport.

Is that due to having a heart attack induced  by passing boaters or do they die from boredom?

• Greenie 2

17 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Fortunately he is exceptionally tolerant with kids unlike other dogs!

17 hours ago, manxmike said:

My dog is great with people and kids (even babies) but hates other dogs, so I only let her off the lead when I am sure there are no other four legged creatures around. 

So glad it's not just ours... he loves children of all sizes and will tolerate any amount of abuse from them but if another dog comes within sight he's twitchy and nervous.

Much better than he used to be when we first got him three years ago but for safety he always wears a muzzle when he's out and there's only one field, where I can see hundreds of metres in all directions, where I dare let him off the lead apart from securely fenced dog exercise fields.

38 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

So glad it's not just ours... he loves children of all sizes and will tolerate any amount of abuse from them but if another dog comes within sight he's twitchy and nervous.

Much better than he used to be when we first got him three years ago but for safety he always wears a muzzle when he's out and there's only one field, where I can see hundreds of metres in all directions, where I dare let him off the lead apart from securely fenced dog exercise fields.

It has been suggested that our dog has fear aggression towards other dogs. Which could well be the case.

We just keep him on his lead around other dogs and only let him off when we know it is safe to do so.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

It has been suggested that our dog has fear aggression towards other dogs. Which could well be the case.

We just keep him on his lead around other dogs and only let him off when we know it is safe to do so.

Zetti, our Goldie is only interested in food.

She is never on a lead except where there is danger from traffic (she tends to run towards black 4x4s because my daughter has one).

She ignores all other dogs (no dog has ever given her a treat).

She ignores children (on the same grounds).

She mostly ignores other adults;  dog walking adults are a potential source of treats, she will sit at their feet and stare at them until they give her something or walk on.

20 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Zetti, our Goldie is only interested in food.

She is never on a lead except where there is danger from traffic (she tends to run towards black 4x4s because my daughter has one).

She ignores all other dogs (no dog has ever given her a treat).

She ignores children (on the same grounds).

She mostly ignores other adults;  dog walking adults are a potential source of treats, she will sit at their feet and stare at them until they give her something or walk on.

Food doesn't really interest ours. First dog I  have had that isn't food oriented. 

Most days he goes all day without having breakfast. Usually eats it just before bed!

Treats he isn't massively bothered about either, unless it's fish. He loves some fish.