Discarded fishing tackle

Momac

Featured Posts

There was a miserable old twat of an angler on the Calder navigation sat on the lock landing and wouldn't budge when I was coming in to use the lock. Sat there with a face as sour as vinegar and just didn't move his rod. I have some regrets of a. not calling him out and b. not just landing exactly where he was fishing from. There wasn't much room to moor up and he made it far more difficult than it should have been.

That was the second of two interactions with anglers fishing from lock landings that showed anglers to be tossers (not all of them, I'm sure!). The first interaction was with an angler fishing from Old Ford Lock in Victoria Park,  who was fishing almost directly under the "do not fish here" sign. I was going into the lock and the miserable tosser called me out on scaring his fish away. "You're not supposed to fish from there, look at the sign" to which he replied "I've been fishing here for 20 years! You've ruined my day!"

Judging by your empty net, perhaps you should have left for another spot far sooner. 

1 hour ago, NB Caelmiri said:

and b. not just landing exactly where he was fishing from.

Done that when an angler was fishing on a water point (and no other nearby moorings were free). He shouted something at me as I approached but I carried on, and moments later he was desperately grapping his keep net out of the water to prevent it getting squashed. I did point out the no fishing notice behind him.

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Done that when an angler was fishing on a water point (and no other nearby moorings were free). He shouted something at me as I approached but I carried on, and moments later he was desperately grapping his keep net out of the water to prevent it getting squashed. I did point out the no fishing notice behind him.

Or getting wrapped round the prop, they're an absolute b*gger to get off. DAMHIK... 😞

I remember cruising on the S&SYN and as we passed an angler I heard his 'bite alarm' activate.

Looking back to see what he pulled out I quickly realised he hadn't caught a fish but a narrowboat, ours.

He wasn't a happy angler (are they ever?) but there was nothing I could have done AFAIK.

Someone I know  not only caught an anglers line but also pulled the complete rod and reel into the river .  The angler ran along the bank after the boat but couldn't keep up . The boater was oblivious to the whole thing until he arrived at the next lock where the lock keeper had been notified.  As far as I know the rod and reel were not recovered .

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Someone I know  not only caught an anglers line but also pulled the complete rod and reel into the river .  The angler ran along the bank after the boat but couldn't keep up . The boater was oblivious to the whole thing until he arrived at the next lock where the lock keeper had been notified.  As far as I know the rod and reel were not recovered .

Great isn't it 🤣🤣🤣

55 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Ooh, I'm looking forward to trying that with a boat they can't hear coming... 😉

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Many deaf anglers about. Hence taking their tackle for a ride. Some even take a break and talk to other anglers how exciting. The guy who's rod I took shouted I should have warned him. 😁😁😁

7 minutes ago, IanD said:

Until the line snaps/breaks wraps around the prop and then you get a nice rhythmic tick tick tick in time with the prop rotation as the hook strikes the hull.

(And to rub salt into the wound you impale yourself on the ruddy thing getting it off the prop.)

DAMHIKT. 

4 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Many deaf anglers about. Hence taking their tackle for a ride. Some even take a break and talk to other anglers how exciting. The guy who's rod I took shouted I should have warned him. 😁😁😁

I was doing a boat move with a friend some yars ago. We took boat from Henley on Thames to Whilton via Grand Union. It was a deep draughted craft.

Somewhere near Ivinghoe there was an angler so Steve shouted "I will take your line". The angler looked towards the boat and said "It'll be alright".

Boat proceeded past and yes the line got caught in the prop. Strong bit of line so the angler was now running behind the boat presumably thinking he was going to get his line back.

The funny thing was that he was warned in advance and it was obviously a deep draughted boat but he didn't care. That was actually quite amusing.

20 minutes ago, IanD said:

I've got a throbbing diesel in mine and I've still had anglers shout at me that they couldn't hear me coming, my stock reply is,"Yeah, I know, I'm travelling in Stealth mode".

I think pretty much everyone who travel the system probably has a story of collecting some angler's kit, mine dates back to 2018 when I'd decided to start the BCN Challenge at Anglesey Basin. So there was me at about 8am (very early for me) chugging across Anglesey Basin to my start point and saw an angler asleep in a small tent thing on my left. What I didn't know was that he'd cast his ledger weight right across the basin to the other side (why didn't he just walk around to that side and simply drop it in?:huh:). As I passed over his line it wrapped around my prop and started screaming off his reel, setting off his 'bite alarm'. He certainly woke up pretty quickly!!

55 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Until the line snaps/breaks wraps around the prop and then you get a nice rhythmic tick tick tick in time with the prop rotation as the hook strikes the hull.

(And to rub salt into the wound you impale yourself on the ruddy thing getting it off the prop.)

DAMHIKT. 

Been there. Done that.

Still have the scar.