Filming the boat from a drone?

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Looking at buying a drone to film boats, scenery and other such stuff.

Cant afford a DJI mini drone as although they are good they are expensive.

Does anyone have any experience of others, budget is about £200 plus

Must have 3 batteries and pref a 4k camera and of course GPS and a decent app.

Any thoughts apart from don't bring that thing near me.

3 minutes ago, Bod said:

Before spending any money, learn all the rules around flying these things.

Bod

Don't you need to be licenced now ?

Edit to answer my own question :

As part of the new drone laws, the requirement for a license has changed, and is now more focussed on the size of your drone and where you intend to fly, as opposed to whether you are operating commercially or not. The implications are that even hobbyist drone pilots will require a certificate, which in most cases will be an A2 CofC.

Typically, you will require an A2 CofC if you intend to fly your drone in the Open Category (A2 subcategory) and your drone has a maximum take-off mass less than 4kg. For hobbyists, the A2 CofC will serve most purposes.

On the other hand, if you’re looking to operate professionally, which often involves more complex flying scenarios and heavier drones, then you will need a more substantial authorisation from the regulator to suit. This is where the Operation Authorisation comes in, and this can be applied for on completion of a GVC Drone Training Course.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, Bod said:

Before spending any money, learn all the rules around flying these things.

Bod

Rule 1 it has to be under 249grams 

That removes all of the licencIng restrictions

22 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

might some cheaper DJI ones after xmas as people upgrade?

Good point I can wait.

Watching eBay at present, nothing is cheap.

27 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Nope, only that. Not because of you, who already appear to be a conscientious potential owner, but only because any inconsiderate dick can buy one with the inevitable undesirable results. Small minority as usual, I'm sure.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Bod said:

Having a camera changes that, Flyer Id at least needed.

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code

Bod

Operator ID not flyer ID, that's how I've read it.

Operator ID is just registration and fee no test. 

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/registration-requirements-for-drones

Edited by Loddon

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Looking at buying a drone to film boats, scenery and other such stuff.

Cant afford a DJI mini drone as although they are good they are expensive.

Does anyone have any experience of others, budget is about £200 plus

Must have 3 batteries and pref a 4k camera and of course GPS and a decent app.

Dont waste good beer money. Theres loads of it to look at on u toob. You can apparently see loads of peeps telling you all about it on there and they must know best and must be good at fotography cos they are already on there 😄

45 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't you need to be licenced now ?

Edit to answer my own question :

As part of the new drone laws, the requirement for a license has changed, and is now more focussed on the size of your drone and where you intend to fly, as opposed to whether you are operating commercially or not. The implications are that even hobbyist drone pilots will require a certificate, which in most cases will be an A2 CofC.

Typically, you will require an A2 CofC if you intend to fly your drone in the Open Category (A2 subcategory) and your drone has a maximum take-off mass less than 4kg. For hobbyists, the A2 CofC will serve most purposes.

On the other hand, if you’re looking to operate professionally, which often involves more complex flying scenarios and heavier drones, then you will need a more substantial authorisation from the regulator to suit. This is where the Operation Authorisation comes in, and this can be applied for on completion of a GVC Drone Training Course.

Ooo an advert for a Flying School not the actual regulations ;)

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Dont waste good beer money. Theres loads of it to look at on u toob. You can apparently see loads of peeps telling you all about it on there and they must know best and must be good at fotography cos they are already on there 😄

Vlogging is something I wont be doing....

I have only ever seen two vlogs that were worth watching and neither of them had boring people telling you about themselves.

https://youtu.be/zkE8TNE1h64

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

I bought a DJI Mavic Mini recently and would urge you to get the real thing if you can. The software is so good; it comes with preset actions that get you started on filming your surroundings. The Mavic Mini combo is £359 on Amazon presently.

If you ever intend to travel other places and film, the Mini is so tiny it takes up hardly any space in baggage too.

Whichever drone you pick, get a landing mat with it at the same time. It will preserve your propellers when you land in long grass or twiggy surrounds DAMHIK

Edited by Puffling
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, buccaneer66 said:

You need to pass a basic test that is done online and don't cost much, I did mine a couple of years ago, you also need to install the drone assist App so you can find out about flying restrictions.

The law changed a couple of years ago, for a sub 250g drone you only need an Operator ID, you do not need a Flyer ID.  It is the Flyer ID that requires the online test, the Operator ID is just a payment, with the Operator ID number displayed on each drone that the operator owns.  The operator does not have to be the same person as the person actually in control of the drone, but the operator is responsible for its use.

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Buy a cheap one first,  learn to not crash  it.

my first drone was left 50 feet up in a tree in australia it having reached distance parameter and headed the straight route home. It probably fell down in autumn but by then we were back in borisland 

A good plan, mine was a cheapy bought when Maplin where closing down, just as well as the flight controls needed trimming, first take off it veered massively to the left and disapeared into the next field.

18 minutes ago, frangar said:

I need more targets for the catapult…..might dig the air rifle out too…..

Possibly the only way I'll ever get mine back if I have the nerve to fly it again. I met most of my neighbours for the first time while retrieving it from their trees.

What is a drone and what is a radio controlled helicopter or aircraft. Very confusing as you didn't need a licence to fly a radio controlled aircraft the last time I flew one which was pre 2000. Some of the bigger models used to have a camera in. 

6 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Buy a cheap one first,  learn to not crash  it.

my first drone was left 50 feet up in a tree in australia it having reached distance parameter and headed the straight route home. It probably fell down in autumn but by then we were back in borisland 

Good advice. Learning how to fly it properly also involved setting the minimum "return to home" height so it won't try and reach its takeoff point via trees or electricity pylons.

Don't go for one of the cheaper mavic mini clones, I have yet to see a review of one that comes close to the stability & quality of the dji product

For most people just the plain mini will do the job, it's control system will work well beyond the legal flying limits (400 feet above ground & direct line of sight between flyer & drone), I tested mine for range over open fields and found that I still had full control and video at 2 miles out and more importantly still had the battery life for the drone to fly back and land.

if I'm flying in an unfamiliar area I set the return height to 350 feet before taking off, then once in the air use the drone & camera to judge the height of the tallest obstacle and reset my return height to clear it by at least 50 feet.

The auto return feature works well, if signal is lost it will hold position for a short while (I cant remember if it's 30 secs or 1 minute) before climbing to a preset altitude (set by you) and flying back in a straight line (if it's already above the set altitude it will stay at the altitude it's flying at).

for the attached video I had already flown 2 batteries just hovering in position waiting (the train was 45 minutes late) then once I start moving I was flying in sport mode which gives a top speed of around 30mph (flying backwards / diagonally trying to keep the shot and keep the drone above fields / trees), at the start of the video the drone was as far as I could see it away and 95 feet above ground, by the end it was as far as I could see in the opposite direction and 397 feet above ground (400 feet legal limit)

video (assuming embed works)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSL2ty9Jvjo

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

38 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

Don't go for one of the cheaper mavic mini clones, I have yet to see a review of one that comes close to the stability & quality of the dji product

For most people just the plain mini will do the job, it's control system will work well beyond the legal flying limits (400 feet above ground & direct line of sight between flyer & drone), I tested mine for range over open fields and found that I still had full control and video at 2 miles out and more importantly still had the battery life for the drone to fly back and land.

if I'm flying in an unfamiliar area I set the return height to 350 feet before taking off, then once in the air use the drone & camera to judge the height of the tallest obstacle and reset my return height to clear it by at least 50 feet.

The auto return feature works well, if signal is lost it will hold position for a short while (I cant remember if it's 30 secs or 1 minute) before climbing to a preset altitude (set by you) and flying back in a straight line (if it's already above the set altitude it will stay at the altitude it's flying at).

for the attached video I had already flown 2 batteries just hovering in position waiting (the train was 45 minutes late) then once I start moving I was flying in sport mode which gives a top speed of around 30mph (flying backwards / diagonally trying to keep the shot and keep the drone above fields / trees), at the start of the video the drone was as far as I could see it away and 95 feet above ground, by the end it was as far as I could see in the opposite direction and 397 feet above ground (400 feet legal limit)

video (assuming embed works)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSL2ty9Jvjo

It never fails to amaze me how people are so happy to post publicly about their lawbreaking with regard to drones. It some sort of mass denial of what the law states.

1/ The law requires that you must keep the drone within visual line of sight.

“You must be sure that you will be able to spot any hazards, in the air or on the ground, and avoid any collisions.

You must be able to see your drone or model aircraft clearly enough that you can tell which way it’s facing. This is so that you can steer and control it safely, even if something happens unexpectedly.

You must be able to see it without using:

binoculars

a telephoto lens

electronic viewing equipment, such as a smart phone, tablet or video goggles”

So clearly at 2 miles away, that is in no way compliant with the law.

2/ Then there is the overflight of random people within 50m laterally - not allowed at any height.

I know lots of people break the law regarding drones, and get away with it. But it is the old story, all is fine and dandy until something goes wrong and someone gets hurt/property damaged, then the operator will soon become very familiar with the law!

It’s a lovely video but so are the videos of bikers pulling wheelies and doing 150mph on the road. They often don’t end well when the authorities see them.

Just to add NEVER launch a drone from the roof of a metal boat (or from reinforced concrete)

the metal will give the inbuilt compass a false reading, but once the drone is in the air the false reading is replaced with a true reading which causes problems because the change in reading disagrees with what the gyros and gps are telling the drone is happening (compass says I'm turning from north to east, gyro says I'm not turning etc gps says I'm flying west)

This is the biggest cause of flyaways that I know of.

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It never fails to amaze me how people are so happy to post publicly about their lawbreaking with regard to drones. It some sort of mass denial of what the law states.

1/ The law requires that you must keep the drone within visual line of sight.

2/ Then there is the overflight of random people within 50m laterally - not allowed at any height.

My illegal flight was at 50 feet above open crop fields and was really my test of if everything goes wrong how far can I keep control and get this thing back from or ditch it safely.

you will note that for the video I said that I was at my limits for each end of the video for vision

as for the overflying in the video it was legal at the time and still is until Jan 2023 as the mavic mini drops into the A1 restrictions

To fly in the A1 category, drones must have a maximum take-off mass of less than 250 grams. It is allowed to fly drones in this category over people, as long as it is not in an open-air assembly.

The changes from Jan 2023 will mean that the UK no longer recognises EU drone class marks and any drone bearing EU marks (or no marks) can only be flown in the A3 category which rules out flying pretty much anywhere other than empty open fields.

I predict a lot of small drones going up for sale early next year to be replaced with identical drones with the new UK markings (or a lot of people ordering replacement shells for their drones that have the new correct marking)