Pushed in

Philip

Featured Posts

I was having a short walk along a canal towpath in the middle of a city centre this evening when a youth who was passing me decided to push me into the canal - and then ran off with his mates down the towpath.

Thankfully and happily this incident also brought out some genuine human love and kindness when firstly a group of students quickly came running up and pulled me out and were very kind and compassionate to me afterwards; offering to take me back to their flat to shower and dry off, then a beggar unlocked the nearby facilities block for me and gave me some spare clothes he had, for me to change into...he also offered me his phone so I could ring home as my mobile got soaked (and still isn't working).

I'd rather not name the city where this happened as the students were at pains to stress that this sort of thing isn't normal there, but I will add that I was completely minding my own business (I didn't say anything and wasn't even looking at the youths) and this happened at about 7.30pm on a city centre stretch of canal which is generally highly regarded and has plenty of people around. I'll get round to deciding whether or not to report it tomorrow - if no CCTV then that's that.

It has shaken me a bit but I'm otherwise fine and like I say I also want to remember the help people gave me afterwards. 

One question I have; do people think it is a touch reckless to be walking by myself along a canal towpath in a city centre in the dark? I am in my 30s and as I say this is a very popular stretch both with boaters and people using the towpath; it is trendy with bars and restaurants galore and not really a place you'd normally feel intimidated walking along whether day or night..and it wasn't that late anyway! It's made me question myself a bit though.

• Greenie 3
  • Sad 2
  • Horror 3
  • Angry 1

It does need reporting, if a deep stretch of canal and with high banks it could be difficult to get out if you are on your own and potentially life threatening. This behaviour is incredibly dangerous, what if they plunge someone with a heart condition into freezing cold water, the shock alone could be enough to kill them.

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Philip said:

One question I have; do people think it is a touch reckless to be walking by myself along a canal towpath in a city centre in the dark?

That's a very difficult question to answer without knowing in which city and which area the assault happened. Otherwise people would just be guessing.

Wasn't there a spate of similar incidents in Manchester a few years ago? On the other hand if you told us it happened in Paddington basin in London I would be a bit more surprised.

Anyway I'm sorry it happened to you and I hope you're feeling better now 

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

Deffo report it. It wouldn’t have taken much for it to have a very different outcome and you might not be the only one it’s happened to….lets face it it’s nigh on attempted murder if you couldn’t swim or had a heart attack due to cold water shock. I’m glad you are ok tho…did you get a look at them or was it too quick? 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

That's a very difficult question to answer without knowing in which city and which area the assault happened. Otherwise people would just be guessing.

Wasn't there a spate of similar incidents in Manchester a few years ago? On the other hand if you told us it happened in Paddington basin in London I would be a bit more surprised.

Anyway I'm sorry it happened to you and I hope you're feeling better now 

It was just a bit beyond Gas Street Basin/Worcester Bar, towards the mailbox.

Thank you, I'm fine but just can't believe what happened really. I'll report it today - I have an accurate time so maybe there'll be some footage somewhere they can review.

Edited by Philip
  • Greenie 3

Yes. Report it.

I thought it sounded like Brum when I read your OP. I'm guessing there will be a lot of CCTV in that area.

I hope this isn't the start of some (for want of a better word) prank like untieing moored boats.

I've been cast adrift there two and a half times. The half was when I felt the boat rock and jumped out to see someone running away.

This hasn't stopped me visiting Brum - its a great place -  but I now make a point of tieing off on the boat and putting a cable tie on the rope around the bollard.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, frangar said:

Deffo report it. It wouldn’t have taken much for it to have a very different outcome and you might not be the only one it’s happened to….lets face it it’s nigh on attempted murder if you couldn’t swim or had a heart attack due to cold water shock. I’m glad you are ok tho…did you get a look at them or was it too quick? 

Too quick really, I caught a glance and I'd hazard a guess he was around 15/16 but difficult to say accurately. I did see that he was quite short and was wearing a dark blue hoodie top, think he had 2 mates with him and I saw him running down towards the Worcester Bar narrows but then lost sight.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

Too quick really, I caught a glance and I'd hazard a guess he was around 15/16 but difficult to say accurately. I did see that he was quite short and was wearing a dark blue hoodie top, think he had 2 mates with him and I saw him running down towards the Worcester Bar narrows but then lost sight.

It’s all worth reporting. Especially if they have some cctv to look at..and there must be a fair bit round there. Can I also suggest you fill in the incident form on the crt website if you get a chance…again it helps build up evidence. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact-us/reporting-an-incident-accident-or-near-miss

• Greenie 1

I had visited Leicester earlier to have a look at the canal in preparation for a first boat trip I'm planning through there this year...ironically it was the towpath through Leicester around the King Power Stadium and first couple of locks which felt more like a section you'd be careful about walking along in the dark. No problems there though!

Edited by Philip
  • Greenie 1

I would endorse this being reported. Although outwardly a relatively minor incident it may be cumulatively part of a bigger problem especially if some idiots have as Matty suggested decided to do this for likes on social media.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

8 minutes ago, frangar said:

It’s all worth reporting. Especially if they have some cctv to look at..and there must be a fair bit round there. Can I also suggest you fill in the incident form on the crt website if you get a chance…again it helps build up evidence. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact-us/reporting-an-incident-accident-or-near-miss

Thanks, will do.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I had visited Leicester earlier to have a look at the canal in preparation for a first boat trip I'm planning through there this year...ironically it was the towpath through Leicester around the King Power Stadium and first couple of locks which felt more like a section you'd be careful about walking along in the dark. No problems there though!

If you moor in Leicester then I would use one of the pontoons either at friars mill or riverside gardens. It’s pretty safe to walk along but I wouldn’t leave a boat moored there especially unattended. Friars mill is my preferred mooring when we boat through and it’s wide enough by either to spin round to go to the other if needed. 

edited to add. I mean unattended on the towpath. The pontoons esp Friars mill are pretty secure. Happily left my boat there and wandered into town. 

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 2

What a terrible thing to happen and glad that you are OK, Philip.  

I have got into the habit of always walking on the edge of the towpath furthest away from the canal , basically in case I slip (on a muddy bit) and fall in. I hadn't thought of being pushed in . 

• Greenie 2

54 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

This hasn't stopped me visiting Brum - its a great place -  but I now make a point of tieing off on the boat and putting a cable tie on the rope around the bollard.

Good tip, it may defeat the object but there are releasable ones  which still seem like normal cable ties so should deter but can be rapidly released without faffing with pliers/ scissors.

Agree with all you must report it. So sad to hear of this. What idiots there are. 

Edited by Stroudwater1
  • Greenie 1

Please report it. There is previous history of such incidents on the Worcs/B'ham, and also Farmer's Bridge. Any report will add to the demands for greater scrutiny of the area, but more CCTV monitoring may be made and pick up suspicious anti social behaviour before it turns nasty.

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Please report it. There is previous history of such incidents on the Worcs/B'ham, and also Farmer's Bridge. Any report will add to the demands for greater scrutiny of the area, but more CCTV monitoring may be made and pick up suspicious anti social behaviour before it turns nasty.

As well as the self-inflicted variety.

1 hour ago, frangar said:

If you moor in Leicester then I would use one of the pontoons either at friars mill or riverside gardens. It’s pretty safe to walk along but I wouldn’t leave a boat moored there especially unattended. Friars mill is my preferred mooring when we boat through and it’s wide enough by either to spin round to go to the other if needed. 

Thanks, I saw the Castle Garden mooring. Looking at the map I think stopping at one of these two moorings and then making for Kilby Bridge or Newton Harcourt or Kibworth the next evening would be a good plan.

1 hour ago, haggis said:

What a terrible thing to happen and glad that you are OK, Philip.  

I have got into the habit of always walking on the edge of the towpath furthest away from the canal , basically in case I slip (on a muddy bit) and fall in. I hadn't thought of being pushed in . 

Thanks. I'm not going to let it put me off walking along the canal like this (within reason), or go boating through cities, but like you say perhaps walk on the non-canal side of the towpath in these situations, or even divert away/turn around if need be.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Philip said:

Thanks, I saw the Castle Garden mooring. Looking at the map I think stopping at one of these two moorings and then making for Kilby Bridge or Newton Harcourt or Kibworth the next evening would be a good plan.

Thanks. I'm not going to let it put me off walking along the canal like this (within reason), or go boating through cities, but like you say perhaps walk on the non-canal side of the towpath in these situations, or even divert away/turn around if need be.

Glad you are OK, but, If you get any cold-like symptoms in the next few days immediately go to the Doctors, explain what happened and ask him to check for Weil's disease. There are around 50 cases a year resulting in swimming or falling in 'still waters'.

Symptoms of Weil syndrome usually start abruptly, with headache, disturbances in consciousness, pain in muscles and abdomen, a stiff neck, lack of appetite (anorexia), chills, nausea, vomiting, and fever.

Infection of humans usually occurs where open wounds are immersed in relatively stagnant water contaminated with rat or cattle urine. It can be contracted from contact with any fresh or untreated water including ponds, canals, lakes and rivers, as well as flood waters that are contaminated.

• Those most at risk of infection are open water swimmers who expose their whole body to possible infection.
  • Activities that occur in or near fresh water such as fishing, water skiing, sailing and kayaking also present a risk.
  • Activities that can cause open wounds or that take place near the water's edge where rat urine is more likely to be found increase the risk of contracting the disease.
  • Greenie 1

Thanks Alan, I'd forgotten about weil's disease. I don't have any cuts or open wounds but will be on guard in case I develop any symptoms. I may have swallowed a bit of water but can't really remember.

I've reported it and the investigating officer will get back to me in the next few days so it looks like they might already be investigating some of the previous incidents mentioned.

• Greenie 4