Hot ash setting of the carbon monoxide detector?

Simon2021

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike A R Powell said:

This forum is more combative than Twitter!

Members will always counter any advice or suggestions that might be dangerous, that's all that has happened here.

If you want to see combative then you should try the political section. 😉 

8 hours ago, Mike A R Powell said:

The idea was to take the ash out then extinguish it....outside.

Ash into water not the other way around.

That's simple to do just dump it in the cut. Makes a wonderful noise as the hot ash boils the water round it as it sinks😱

Hot coals are even noisier 🤔

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

No wonder the canals are getting shallower!

While I was at Braunston a boat near mine was put on brokerage. It had been lived on, pretty much static, for about 20 years.

The marina guys had a job moving it - it was embedded in a cone of ash centered on the side hatch, 2-3ft high and several feet across, that had set a bit like cement.

3 minutes ago, Francis Herne said:

While I was at Braunston a boat near mine was put on brokerage. It had been lived on, pretty much static, for about 20 years.

The marina guys had a job moving it - it was embedded in a cone of ash centered on the side hatch, 2-3ft high and several feet across, that had set a bit like cement.

Similar thing here, when the boats were moved out and the pound drained for some lock gate replacement. A neat cone of ash by every boat whose owners tipped it over the side. Fortunately, the bottom is much further from the top than at Braunston. People think ash disperses in the water. It actually sinks straight down.

12 hours ago, MtB said:

Do it your way then, and fill your boat with steam and clouds of ash! 

Indeed, I only did it the once when we first got a shareboat. I had told Mrs Hound to let the stove go out on the last day of the holiday, but it was still burning when we arrived back at base. 

As we had to leave the boat including the stove clean for the next co-owner, and we wanted to get away early,  I poured a small amount of water onto the coals.

Big mistake, the resulting steam flash covered both the inside and the outside of the boat in a layer of fine ash, whose cleaning more than negated the time saving I had anticipated by pouring water on the hot stove,

After that we always let the stove go out overnight on the last but one day and relied on the central heating for warmth on the last morning of a holiday. 

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

As we had to leave the boat including the stove clean for the next co-owner, and we wanted to get away early,  I poured a small amount of water onto the coals.

Although I can appreciate the rules that shared owners come up with regarding handovers, particularly around cleaning - cleaning out the stove seems like a particularly stupid one. Not only is taking hot coals out of a stove tricky and potentially dangerous but it's also quite wasteful. If I were the next user I'd prefer to come into a warm boat.

Why not just riddle the stove, empty the ash pan and shut the vents down  enough so that it ticks along and they can easily refuel it when they turn up rather than having to build & light a new fire? If they don't turn up for a while and the fire is out so what? They'll be a bit of ash to riddle and they'll have to start a new fire anyway. Better that than an accident handling hot coals.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

Although I can appreciate the rules that shared owners come up with regarding handovers, particularly around cleaning, cleaning out the stove seems like a particularly stupid one. Not only is taking hot coals out of a stove tricky and potentially dangerous but it's also quite wasteful. If I were the next user I'd prefer to come into a warm boat. Why not just riddle the stove, empty the ash pan and shut the vents down so that it ticks along and they can easily refuel it when they turn up rather than having to build & light a new fire?

You can't always know if the next owners are actually turning up for their slot. You'd think a simple text or email would confirm this but we found some were resistant to technology. Shared ownership can be great, but it can also be a royal PITA depending on syndicate members. I do miss the bills being split several ways though :D 

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Although I can appreciate the rules that shared owners come up with regarding handovers, particularly around cleaning - cleaning out the stove seems like a particularly stupid one. Not only is taking hot coals out of a stove tricky and potentially dangerous but it's also quite wasteful. If I were the next user I'd prefer to come into a warm boat.

Why not just riddle the stove, empty the ash pan and shut the vents down so that it ticks along and they can easily refuel it when they turn up rather than having to build & light a new fire? If they don't turn up for a while and the fire is out so what? They'll be a bit of ash to riddle and they'll have to start a new fire anyway. Better that than an accident handling hot coals.

If you let the stove die down overnight on the last night on board there is no need to take hot coals out of the stove.

As the group of co-owners gelled, it became accepted practice during the winter to leave the stove clean, with kindling and coal in place, ready for the next owner to light.

Leaving a lit stove unattended, particularly if there is a chance of high winds is a asking for a boat fire.

Edited by cuthound
coals, not colas
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

You can't always know if the next owners are actually turning up for their slot. You'd think a simple text or email would confirm this but we found some were resistant to technology. Shared ownership can be great, but it can also be a royal PITA depending on syndicate members. I do miss the bills being split several ways though :D 

You may have posted while I was editing, but as I said, if the fire is out when they turn up so what?

10 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Leaving a lit stove unattended, particularly if there is a chance of high winds is a asking for a boat fire.

Really? I've left mine unattended for more than 20 years without a boat fire. They are designed to be left unattended, all you do is shut the vents down. If you leave a stove full of fuel with the vents wide open in high winds then you might cause a fire but that's not what we were talking about. Your post was about the remains of a fire.

I can't believe I'm having to explain this to experienced boaters, although having said that, given your exercise pouring water onto hot coals I guess there's no accounting for foolishness.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, blackrose said:

You may have posted while I was editing, but as I said, if the fire is out when they turn up so what?

Really? I've left mine unattended for more than 20 years without a boat fire. They are designed to be left unattended, all you do is shut the vents down. If you leave a stove full of fuel with the vents wide open in high winds then you might cause a fire but that's not what we were talking about. Your post was about the remains of a fire.

I can't believe I'm having to explain this to experienced boaters, although having said that, given your exercise pouring water onto hot coals I guess there's no accounting for foolishness.

Some stoves are so poorly manufactured or badly maintained that a high wind will cause the fire to flare up because of gaps between castings, broken glass or cracks with the vents closed down. Not a problem if you are in attendance but could be if you are not. As you are a long term liveaboard I'm amazed I'm having to explain this to you.

Just because something hasn't happened yet doesn't mean that it can't happen.

14 hours ago, booke23 said:

That's not what you originally suggested.

Whatever way you slice it, adding ash to water or water to ash is unwise. Just put the ash in a metal container....you can even buy metal ash containers with lids and handles to facilitate this. Then put the ash container somewhere to cool. KISS

but not on a recycled plastic or wooden jetty or grass

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

You get moaning emails to the group about how "we" must follow the rules of the boat :D 

That is the problem with shared ownership. You can't pick your co-owners.

I have made several lasting friendships with some co-owners but there were a couple I'm glad I no longer have to suffer.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

That is the problem with shared ownership. You can't pick your co-owners.

I have made several lasting friendships with some co-owners but there were a couple I'm glad I no longer have to suffer.

Likewise, it made for some lively AGMs if you questioned the old guard. The treasurer was a particular pain as it had to be done his way of understanding accounting, which was very longwinded and laborious. I'm sure some were glad to see the back of us too :D 

• Greenie 1

On 08/11/2023 at 22:58, Mike A R Powell said:

The idea was to take the ash out then extinguish it....outside.

Ash into water not the other way around.

My wife did this before I met her. Hot ash into a bucket she didn't know had some water in it. Her skin was peeling off her hand. 

Edited by Ianws
Typo

Fire extinguishers should always be checked, at least once a week. Turn them upside down, shake them and always check the little gauge to make sure the device still has gas/powder in. They do have "use by" dates which, unlike most supermarket products, actually mean something.

Happy thought, your ash pan bursts into flames and you reach for the fire extinguisher which is way out of date and never been checked - your insurance company roars with laughter when you try to claim.

3 hours ago, manxmike said:

Fire extinguishers should always be checked, at least once a week.

Where does that advice come from please ?

3 hours ago, manxmike said:

They do have "use by" dates

Do they?