Big Investment in canal after cyclists complain

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Big investment for canal towpath after cyclists complained temporary ramp was too steep

Work will start after the Bank Holiday

A huge investment into a popular Nottingham towpath has been announced.

Developer Conygar, which is currently on site at The Island Quarter, closed the stepped access to the east side of the canal towpath from Great Northern Close earlier this year and introduced a ramp so cyclists could still cycle the canalside.

But cyclists have complained the temporary ramp they installed is too steep and said their "heavy" bikes meant it was a struggle to get up the scaffolding safely.

Linda Marston, 45, of West Bridgford, told Nottinghamshire Live: "I'm not the biggest or strongest person so it is a struggle to get up here. This is the most convenient way to work for me so it's something I'm having to grin and bear.

"You have to have one hand on the rail and another on the bike so it's a bit unsteady weight-wise."

Now, Conygar and Canal & River Trust have announced £14,000 of improvements to the ramp which will make it more accessible for cyclists.

Despite the current scaffolding meeting safety requirements, the developer says it is aware of concerns and has worked with the trust to come up with a solution. Improvement works are to commence next week, following the bank holiday to improve the access.

Richard Watson of Conygar said: “We have listened to cyclists’ concerns and have decided to act on those concerns and improve the ramp access as quickly as possible.

"The trust and Conygar did not want to close the stepped bridge so that it could remain in use for the public – but we realise it is rather steep for those who want to push their cycles over the ramp.

“This bank holiday, we are asking cyclists who are concerned about the steep ramp to take an alternative route. Pedestrians will still be able to access the towpath.

“Conygar wants to improve the access long term and our development will celebrate the canalside. These works to the ramp are temporary and within a few months, normal access will be resumed.”

Phil Mulligan, regional director for the Canal & River Trust, said: “We’ve been really concerned to see the difficulties that people using the towpath have faced and are pleased to be helping to get new steps designed.

“The canal is a popular and important green space for people living and working in Nottingham to escape to. We hope that new steps can be in place as quickly as possible so that people can enjoy visiting the canal while the important works to transform the canalside take shape.”

Big investment for canal towpath after cyclists complained temporary ramp was too steep - Nottinghamshire Live (nottinghampost.com)

34 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Get off and walk it.

I' m  not too sure where I read it but I saw an article about this recently. To cut to the chase the temporary scaffolding bridge/steps were bl@@dy stupid and how they met safety requirements defies logic. Cyclists were expected to go up/down steps whilst pushing their bikes up what looked like a scaffolding boards at an angle of about 45 degrees. I'm amazed that I'm springing to the defence of cyclists but please track down a photograph before making a judgement.

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, Slim said:

I' m  not too sure where I read it but I saw an article about this recently. To cut to the chase the temporary scaffolding bridge/steps were bl@@dy stupid and how they met safety requirements defies logic. Cyclists were expected to go up/down steps whilst pushing their bikes up what looked like a scaffolding boards at an angle of about 45 degrees. I'm amazed that I'm springing to the defence of cyclists but please track down a photograph before making a judgement.

The steps at the Water of Leith visitors centre have a track say 15cm wide to push the bike up or down a long flight from the canal above.   My daughter uses it regularly when she is volunteering at the centre, perhaps being a permanent structure it is easier to use as she hasn't complained over the many years she has used them.

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The steps at the Water of Leith visitors centre have a track say 15cm wide to push the bike up or down a long flight from the canal above.   My daughter uses it regularly when she is volunteering at the centre, perhaps being a permanent structure it is easier to use as she hasn't complained over the many years she has used them.

Don't they have them on railway access stairs as well.

image.png.15f3cb4bcf56e91bc12a602d62ede68d.png

• Greenie 1

Just now, Rose Narrowboats said:

If a flight of steps is now really regarded as major investment, I genuinely fear for the future upkeep of the canal network.

If the meeting I attended yesterday is anything to go by then money will be available for towpaths/graffiti (sorry “street art”) and well being projects but don’t expect boats to be able to move on the nice water feature next to them as it will be full of floating gardens etc. 

Once upon a time I used to do sport cycling, and wore shoes with hard plastic cleats on the soles, they would be treacherous on steel steps, maybe that is the problem, other wise it just like a 'winter stoppage' cyclists should be advised to use alternative routes if they can't cope.

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

If they payed for a licence then have a go but no we pay bloody bikes

This is the thing, CRT have to 'reach out', but no way is some sort of "cycling licence" going to work, cash has to come from Treasury, no other way.

VAT  or Income Tax, or some other tax, that's why people pay tax in to The Treasury

A Dog Licence in 1966 cost 7/6,. bring back Dog Licences.

Edited by LadyG

34 minutes ago, LadyG said:

This is the thing, CRT have to 'reach out', but no way is some sort of "cycling licence" going to work, cash has to come from Treasury, no other way.

VAT  or Income Tax, or some other tax, that's why people pay tax in to The Treasury

A Dog Licence in 1966 cost 7/6,. bring back Dog Licences.

Do you think a dog licence will work any better than a cycling licence? I think it was abolished all those years ago because it was only responsible dog owners who had one and the administration costs were far more than the income. I can't think of an economic method of either dog or cycling licences.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, George and Dragon said:

Abolished at decimalisation in 1971 as 37 1/2p not economical to collect. As a dog owner I'd suggest £100 pa would be a fair price. If you can't afford it don't get a dog.

What's the point, the problem dog owners never bought a licence anyway at any price

13 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I think the problem occurs after a cyclist has got off their bike and is trying to push it up the temorary steps.

14 hours ago, Slim said:

12 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

stairs.jpg.15f7c80b23099929f3d0e4e2461d84ec.jpg

Since the mid 60s I have observed cyclists using the towpath if it suited them, and not if it didn't.  Then local authorities put up "No Cycling" signs if it was dangerous or they didn't want to promote it.  I remember after that it was all prohibited for quite a while, then quite shortly Waterways were issuing permits to cycle on the towpath after which local offices were allowing boaters to use them as an extension of their boat licence (lock wheeling) which got confusing.  Now they have more of a right to cycle on the towpath than boaters have to boat on the cut.  We don't get all arsey when the navigation is shut and start insisting on a way round that doesn't inconvenience.

Personally I don't want them on the towpath, hence my comment. 

You can't take a horse on one due to safety and inconvenience. I accept it's usually the minority that spoil it for the majority, but cyclists haven't proven to me they are worthy of the entitlement.

I am becoming bored with the entitled hoards we are encouraging.