Fat boats on the North Oxford

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, MtB said:

In summary, it says they built a narrows.

Not sure why that might contravene copyright.

A wide beam would have difficulty getting as far as Little Tring anyway - it is not that easy at times with a NB! (But well worth the trip!)

Notice Alert

Oxford CanalLocation: Between Dunchurch Pools Marina and Braunston - Wide beam passageStarts At: Bridge 81, Borstal BridgeEnds At: Bridge 93/94, Braunston Junction

Monday 1 August 2022 18:00 until Monday 1 August 2022 21:00

Type: Advice Reason: Information

Original message: There is a planned wide-beam boat journey on the North Oxford Canal from Dunchurch Pools Marina to  Braunston on 1st August between 6pm to 9pm.

We kindly remind boating customers to be aware of a wide-beam boat and take extra care whilst navigating through this section of the canal.

26 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Notice Alert

Oxford CanalLocation: Between Dunchurch Pools Marina and Braunston - Wide beam passageStarts At: Bridge 81, Borstal BridgeEnds At: Bridge 93/94, Braunston Junction

Monday 1 August 2022 18:00 until Monday 1 August 2022 21:00

Type: Advice Reason: Information

Original message: There is a planned wide-beam boat journey on the North Oxford Canal from Dunchurch Pools Marina to  Braunston on 1st August between 6pm to 9pm.

We kindly remind boating customers to be aware of a wide-beam boat and take extra care whilst navigating through this section of the canal.

There’s either a lot of boats leaving Dunchurch or someone is taking the pee….I thought boats were only supposed to go to or from their moorings….not just out for a jolly? 

35 minutes ago, frangar said:

There’s either a lot of boats leaving Dunchurch or someone is taking the pee….I thought boats were only supposed to go to or from their moorings….not just out for a jolly? 

Ha! Explain that to Miles Away!

58 minutes ago, frangar said:

Not really.

One was going to Dunchurch and one is coming from Dunchurch. 

One is being lifted out for transport and Im guessing the other is possibly being lifted in at the same time (this is a totally wild guess though)

18 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Not really.

One was going to Dunchurch and one is coming from Dunchurch. 

One is being lifted out for transport and Im guessing the other is possibly being lifted in at the same time (this is a totally wild guess though)

Silly me….always sensible to have a wide boat dropped in on a narrow canal….

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Silly me….always sensible to have a wide boat dropped in on a narrow canal….

It is when they have good facilities on site to do it and its an easy chug to the wide canal system with CRT support (they warn everyone else to keep out of your way)

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It is when they have good facilities on site to do it and its an easy chug to the wide canal system with CRT support (they warn everyone else to keep out of your way)

I think the damage to bridgeholes along there might say otherwise about the “easy chug”…..

1 hour ago, frangar said:

I think the damage to bridgeholes along there might say otherwise about the “easy chug”…..

When we went through there last week I never noticed any damage to bridgholes between Dunchurch and Braunston junction.

7 hours ago, frangar said:

New and used boat company now crane their new boats in at Dunchurch Pools. Much cheaper than using the facilities at Braunston Marina. The boat refered to today was craned in at Dunchurch but is heading for London but stopping for warranty repairs at Braunston Marina.

3 minutes ago, Grahamnewman said:

New and used boat company now crane their new boats in at Dunchurch Pools. Much cheaper than using the facilities at Braunston Marina.p

That doesn't seem to be within the spirit of CRT's concession for wide boats on the North Oxford, which is to allow through passage to the GU for boats with a mooring in one of the N Oxford marinas!

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Grahamnewman said:

The boat refered to today was craned in at Dunchurch but is heading for London but stopping for warranty repairs at Braunston Marina.

Shocking really, a brand new boat needing warranty repairs immediately after launching. 

Which builder is it?

38 minutes ago, David Mack said:

That doesn't seem to be within the spirit of CRT's concession for wide boats on the North Oxford, which is to allow through passage to the GU for boats with a mooring in one of the N Oxford marinas!

Agreed!! More like taking the pee!! Ridiculous! 

38 minutes ago, MtB said:

Shocking really, a brand new boat needing warranty repairs immediately after launching. 

Which builder is it?

Unsurprising really….let’s take a guess

8 minutes ago, frangar said:

Seriously?? Not the arch damage?  Were you asleep? 

I deliberately looked both sides of bridges between Dunchurch and Braunston and didn't see any arch damage, I even commented to my wife that I couldn't see all the bridge damage that keeps getting mentioned on CWDF.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Which builder is it?

Probably Collingwood, being that new, probably also a square back Euro cruiser 60ft x 12ft 😂

• 2 weeks later...

Notice Alert

Oxford Canal
Location: Between Dunchurch Pools Marina and Braunston, Wide beam passage
Starts At: Bridge 81, Borstal Bridge
Ends At: Braunston A45 Visitor Mooring

Saturday 20 August 2022 07:00 until Sunday 21 August 2022 19:00

Type: Advice 
Reason: Information

Original message:

There is a planned wide-beam boat journey on the North Oxford Canal from Dunchurch Pools Marina to  Braunston taking place between Saturday 20th August to Sunday 21st August.

And two mins later the almost verbatim notice but for between Braunston and Dunchurch, so guessing its an out and back trip planned sometime over the weekend. 

We’re out on Weds but back on Sunday, might catch a glimpse of this mythical widebeam moving :D 

7 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Notice Alert

Oxford Canal
Location: Between Dunchurch Pools Marina and Braunston, Wide beam passage
Starts At: Bridge 81, Borstal Bridge
Ends At: Braunston A45 Visitor Mooring

Saturday 20 August 2022 07:00 until Sunday 21 August 2022 19:00

Type: Advice 
Reason: Information

Original message:

There is a planned wide-beam boat journey on the North Oxford Canal from Dunchurch Pools Marina to  Braunston taking place between Saturday 20th August to Sunday 21st August.

And two mins later the almost verbatim notice but for between Braunston and Dunchurch, so guessing its an out and back trip planned sometime over the weekend. 

We’re out on Weds but back on Sunday, might catch a glimpse of this mythical widebeam moving :D 

Rather makes a mockery of it just being a transit trip if they can stay overnight and just have a jolly. 

There has also been an almost identical notice for the following weekend so either its the same trip being repeated or it's a 1 week trip out with the notices being very vague about exactly when the transit is taking place each weekend. Makes it a bit difficult to avoid the area as the time is unknown.