Lockdown! Part 2

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Theres not many things I would happily see burn but horseflies are one. :)

I know they fill an ecological niche, I know they are a food for other things and I know they are part of a very complex food chain and serve a part but...

BURN the buggers

Would you add wasps to the bonfire? I view them as a pure irritant, but it may be that they have a place in the ecology which I'm not aware of.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Would you add wasps to the bonfire? I view them as a pure irritant, but it may be that they have a place in the ecology which I'm not aware of.

Absolutely they may eat loads of garden pests, but when you've been chased and stung buy a swarm of the buggers BURN THEM.

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, they tend to ignore people, until around August at least, plus they are really useful in the garden.

Horseflies on the other hand.

To add some balance it is only the girl horseflies, the blokes are harmless

15 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Absolutely they may eat loads of garden pests, but when you've been chased and stung buy a swarm of the buggers BURN THEM.

Try cutting up a recently felled tree containing an unseen nest...

I don't normally run

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I have been congested, plus more than normal coughing, sneezing, and runny nose. Like you, temp. fine, breath fine. Better yesterday and today!!

Having watched a few videos on YouTube, it seems that this is the time of year for allergic reaction, where the symptoms you, (and I), have, suggest allergic reactions, rather than flu, cold, Covid 19.

I had the same the other week

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have spent the past two weeks coughing and sneezing  but no temperature and not short of breath.

1 can you eat a lemon, without wincing

2 can you drink vinegar without gagging

3 can you eat an onion and believe its an apple

:):):):);)

Edited by Loddon

1 hour ago, 1st ade said:

I suppose it depends where you emphasise "Unnecessary". Had my job been essential and unable to be done from home (which is not true; hence working from home) I'd have travelled 60+ miles into London and the same coming home. By Train and Tube. It's a valid point by The Welsh Cruiser that maybe there should be an essence of "Essential given the distance and exposure to get to work"

I wasn't suggesting that the status quo was wrong. Rather, I was just correcting a couple of posters who mistakenly associated a 'do not travel' instruction, which came about due to excessive numbers of people congregating on a hot Sunday, with a plan to contain the virus regionally. There is no such plan, all current planning and associated laws/ guidance is consistent nationwide. I suspect the government may consider a more regional approach when the time for lifting restrictions comes around.

Edited by The Welsh Cruiser

4 hours ago, haggis said:

When we were on kelpie in February (it seems a long time ago now!) I got a cold but it was a cold like I have never had before and I took to my bed for the best part of two days. It wasn't flu, as I have had flu before, but it was pretty awful and ever since I have had a bit of a cough at times.  I often wonder if I actually had a mild dose of Corona Virus. We don't have a thermometer on the boat so I have no idea if I had  a temperature or not. We are being as careful as possible in the hope that we avoid CV

haggis

Reading your post I started to think the same.On Christmas day I started to get flu symptoms,high temperature,dizziness and cough.I've had flu a few times so thought it would pass in a week or so as it has always done before.I didn't get better within a week and started to worry as I now had an aching chest,was wheezing and something I have never had before,night sweats.I mean really sweating,I would wake up in the small hours and the sheets were soaked.

Went to the docs,end of January and was diagnosed a chest infection and prescribed antibiotics and sent for a chest x ray.

The symtoms cleared about the end of February and I am now fine.

In November a party of Chinese auditors spent a week at my wife's factory from the Shanghi area and she and my daughter were ill with flu shortly after.Not as bad as me but both most unwell for a week or so.

I didn't think of Covid 19 at the time,but now I think that there is a good chance that my family had it,although it hadn't really kicked of in China in December.

I am still wondering.

32 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think Loddon is referencing the less well known symptom of C19, loss of sense of smell and taste. 

That is it exactly, it might be lesser known but its one of the certain ways of telling if you have it.

And it looks as though that nice Mr Trump was right, annoyingly, about Hydroxychloroquine being the way forward. It looks as though C19 is a blood disease. 

Explanation here by someone known as "libertymavenstock", whose highly credible (according to the doctors I read) layman's explanation is spreading all over the internet.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200405061401/https://medium.com/@agaiziunas/covid-19-had-us-all-fooled-but-now-we-might-have-finally-found-its-secret-91182386efcb

• Happy 1
  • Unimpressed 1

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And it looks as though that nice Mr Trump was right, annoyingly, about Hydroxychloroquine being the way forward. It looks as though C19 is a blood disease. 

Explanation here by someone known as "libertymavenstock", whose highly credible (according to the doctors I read) layman's explanation is spreading all over the internet.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200405061401/https://medium.com/@agaiziunas/covid-19-had-us-all-fooled-but-now-we-might-have-finally-found-its-secret-91182386efcb

Doesn't this Hydroxichloroquine have a side effect of giving patients sudden cardiac arrest.

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I suppose it's the secret lizardmen suppressing this then?  To the point of suspending the poster's account on medium.com ...

1 minute ago, Rickent said:

Doesn't this Hydroxichloroquine have a side effect of giving patients sudden cardiac arrest.

Well that would certainly be one way of preventing death from Covid-19!

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Just found one:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/aerosol-coronavirus-spread-white-house-letter/index.html

"Experts tell White House coronavirus can spread through talking or even just breathing"

Thank you very much Mike. Now I have to research Harvey Fineberg but at least it's a start.?

30 minutes ago, Rickent said:

I took it when I went to India in the monsoon, obviously against malaria infection. Found it to be horrendous stuff, just made me feel very sick and aching. Stopped taking it after week three of sixteen; had to make sure I covered up near every inch of skin during the day and slept under a mosquito net instead. 

22 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

I took it when I went to India in the monsoon, obviously against malaria infection. Found it to be horrendous stuff, just made me feel very sick and aching. Stopped taking it after week three of sixteen; had to make sure I covered up near every inch of skin during the day and slept under a mosquito net instead. 

Deet is the stuff - just make sure it is 50% (or higher) strength & that you don't get it on your clothes - its as 'bad' as battery acid.

24 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Could have been worse, your doctor might have prescribed Lariam. Actually there's very little malaria in India, the risk of taking any anti malarial drug is quite possibly greater than the risk of getting the disease there. There are pockets where the risk is greater, but doctors and nurses tend not bother with this detail. There's malaria in India? OK, you need to take some powerful drugs. British advice on many tropical diseases is cautious, in the extreme.  

11 hours ago, frahkn said:

Slightly off topic but I'm confused.

There is a lot said about the danger of people who express no symptoms, none the less still infecting others. The major source of cross infection is via droplets breathed in or picked up on hands and transferred to the face. These droplets are produced by coughing or sneezing but a person who has no symptoms will not be coughing or sneezing. So how do they present a danger?

Do you never cough or sneeze then?

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I might have more faith in libertymavenstock's ideas if they weren't presented in such a jocular fashion, and if they were reported in the mainstream media, rather than a web archive page from a "we don't fact-check" website.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Do you never cough or sneeze then?

You are assuming I don't already have the virus - I didn't say so - perhaps I'm waiting for the ambulance now.?

As it happens I've had my winter flu vaccination this year and don't cough or sneeze a lot, but it's not all about me strange though that seems (particularly to myself).

I was just interested in the point, the answer is not self evident, for example considering Dr Fineberg's evidence (provided by MtB) it is clear that much has yet to be established.  "This evidence comes with caveats, a-plenty, however. As Fineberg acknowledges in the letter, the studies cited have not yet been peer reviewed and traces of RNA are not the same as an active virus looking for a host to infect."

On the other hand this is a situation where the cautionary principle probably takes precedence.

Keep well.

Frank.

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

I might have more faith in libertymavenstock's ideas if they weren't presented in such a jocular fashion, and if they were reported in the mainstream media, rather than a web archive page from a "we don't fact-check" website.

But it IS being reported in mainstream media. Next time I encounter it I'll bung up a link. 

I put this up as it gives more detail than the newspaper articles. And no it's not peer reviewed, tested etc. or anything like that, its just being seen as an avenue for investigation. You can ignore it, shoot it down as much as you like. If its rubbish, we need to know. Are you a doctor by the way, or in any way qualified to condemn it out of hand as not worthy of even looking into?

I'm very curious about why this account has been suspended though. As you point out, they don't care about the accuracy of what it posted so why the suspending of it?

• Greenie 1