Lockdown! Part 2

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Splitting hairs, surely.

Do not travel to your holiday home, do not travel to visit relatives, only travel to the shop, pharmacist, doctor or local park, all amounts to the same thing without sounding draconian. 

Quite so.

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Splitting hairs, surely.

Do not travel to your holiday home, do not travel to visit relatives, only travel to the shop, pharmacist, doctor or local park, all amounts to the same thing without sounding draconian. 

Not splitting hairs. The advice is to stay at home. Expansion on this is for clarity. Everything is aimed at preventing people from infecting each other, regardless of where they live. The policy is the same throughout Britain. You may travel around Britain if you meet the criteria. Trains, buses and planes linking different parts of Britain are still running. There are no measures in place to prevent the disease spreading from one part of Britain to another. I'm not suggesting this is wrong, just that's how it is.

If  more geographical approach were in place areas with higher levels of infection would be isolated from others with lower levels. Areas with lower rates of infection would have more relaxed 'lockdown' rules than areas with higher rates. None of this exists in Britain. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

If  more geographical approach were in place areas with higher levels of infection would be isolated from others with lower levels. Areas with lower rates of infection would have more relaxed 'lockdown' rules than areas with higher rates. None of this exists in Britain. 

Are you trying to confuse us with facts?

Surely the only thing that matters is that the Prime Minister is in intensive care (or so the beeb would have us think).

Slightly off topic but I'm confused.

There is a lot said about the danger of people who express no symptoms, none the less still infecting others. The major source of cross infection is via droplets breathed in or picked up on hands and transferred to the face. These droplets are produced by coughing or sneezing but a person who has no symptoms will not be coughing or sneezing. So how do they present a danger?

13 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

Assume an infection rate of 80%: total number of cases c50 million In the UK. Death rate approx 1% = 500,000. Not going to be pretty, is it?

I refuse to be a statistic

jo

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But you will be one of three, 1) died 2) recovered 3) didnt have it

Precisely so. I am hoping somewhere along the line we are offered a choice of never getting ill, thats the one I would choose but if non of that choice was left available and it was a choice between having cancer or covid I would be first in the queue for covid.

56 minutes ago, frahkn said:

There is a lot said about the danger of people who express no symptoms, none the less still infecting others. The major source of cross infection is via droplets breathed in or picked up on hands and transferred to the face. These droplets are produced by coughing or sneezing but a person who has no symptoms will not be coughing or sneezing. So how do they present a danger?

Just breathing expels them, especially if you are jogging or riding a bike. So does talking. 

1 hour ago, frahkn said:

Most people cough, sneeze or just speak more frequently than you suggest.

55 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have spent the past two weeks coughing and sneezing  but no temperature and not short of breath.

I have been congested, plus more than normal coughing, sneezing, and runny nose. Like you, temp. fine, breath fine. Better yesterday and today!!

Having watched a few videos on YouTube, it seems that this is the time of year for allergic reaction, where the symptoms you, (and I), have, suggest allergic reactions, rather than flu, cold, Covid 19.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I have been congested, plus more than normal coughing, sneezing, and runny nose. Like you, temp. fine, breath fine. Better yesterday and today!!

Having watched a few videos on YouTube, it seems that this is the time of year for allergic reaction, where the symptoms you, (and I), have, suggest allergic reactions, rather than flu, cold, Covid 19.

Yup it's allergy season, luckily all I get is a very very slight bit of blocked nose/congestion, in fact it took me ages to recognize I actually had any reaction

When we were on kelpie in February (it seems a long time ago now!) I got a cold but it was a cold like I have never had before and I took to my bed for the best part of two days. It wasn't flu, as I have had flu before, but it was pretty awful and ever since I have had a bit of a cough at times.  I often wonder if I actually had a mild dose of Corona Virus. We don't have a thermometer on the boat so I have no idea if I had  a temperature or not. We are being as careful as possible in the hope that we avoid CV

haggis

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Just breathing expels them, especially if you are jogging or riding a bike. So does talking. 

Not doubting you at all, just interested - can you point to a reference for that?

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, haggis said:

When we were on kelpie in February (it seems a long time ago now!) I got a cold but it was a cold like I have never had before and I took to my bed for the best part of two days. It wasn't flu, as I have had flu before, but it was pretty awful and ever since I have had a bit of a cough at times.  I often wonder if I actually had a mild dose of Corona Virus. We don't have a thermometer on the boat so I have no idea if I had  a temperature or not. We are being as careful as possible in the hope that we avoid CV

haggis

Apparently the temperature with Covid 19 is such that a thermometer is not necessary, you will feel hot to touch

10 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Not doubting you at all, just interested - can you point to a reference for that?

One of the team on the BBC corona 2 hour program said it, he also stated that outside this "Cloud" is rapidly dispersed

Edit

No way am I going to Iplayer  to find it for you. 

Edited by ditchcrawler

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have spent the past two weeks coughing and sneezing  but no temperature and not short of breath.

Just sharing your other coronavirus (aka Common Cold) so that's OK!

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

One of the team on the BBC corona 2 hour program said it, he also stated that outside this "Cloud" is rapidly dispersed

Edit

No way am I going to Iplayer  to find it for you. 

But not quickly enough if that 'Cloud' emerges just in front of you as you walk/jog/whatever passing each other > 2m apart (some researchers say much greater spread)

Keep everyone outside down wind of you so that their germs don't blow to you but yours might blow to them. Observing this may make shopping an all day business though as you spend ages zig zagging from the car park to the shop to keep stray people down wind of you, bad luck if the wind keeps changing, again and again, ''very tiresome'',but eventually you should arrive at the supermarket door, distancing Q disappeared, shop closed for the night grrrrr!. The really good thing is though you will be first in the Q next morning when the shop reopens, and think of all that wonderful excercise.  :closedeyes:

1 hour ago, frahkn said:

Nope, I can't. Sorry.

It's one of those 'givens' that you encounter from time to time if you spend nine hours a day watching coronavirus videos by people who seem to know what they are talking about! ?

Not sure I've encountered anyone yet who claims it doesn't happen or who has posted up any research to prove or disprove it. It seems to be widely accepted. Or that's the impression I've gained. 

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Apparently the temperature with Covid 19 is such that a thermometer is not necessary, you will feel hot to touch

Totally off topic but last summer I was bitten by a horse fly on one shin. The bite became infected and more than a bit "sore"

Not only did Mrs 1st Ade comment on the difference in temperature between my two legs but the Infrequent Red thermometer backed her up!

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Surely, their advice to stay at home and not to make unnecessary journeys is doing exactly that. This was discussed in another thread and was agreed to be an effective policy.

I suppose it depends where you emphasise "Unnecessary". Had my job been essential and unable to be done from home (which is not true; hence working from home) I'd have travelled 60+ miles into London and the same coming home. By Train and Tube. It's a valid point by The Welsh Cruiser that maybe there should be an essence of "Essential given the distance and exposure to get to work"

5 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Totally off topic but last summer I was bitten by a horse fly on one shin. The bite became infected and more than a bit "sore"

Not only did Mrs 1st Ade comment on the difference in temperature between my two legs but the Infrequent Red thermometer backed her up!

Theres not many things I would happily see burn but horseflies are one. :)

I know they fill an ecological niche, I know they are a food for other things and I know they are part of a very complex food chain and serve a part but...

BURN the buggers

• Greenie 1