Flooding

haggis

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, peterboat said:

I can't believe how stupid people can be can you? We are in the cak its still raining heavy here.  Not planning to sleep and neither are any of the other boaters 

You are firmly in "The Joy's of Boating Part 2" territory. 

I am praying that both you, your boat and your neighbours escape with nothing much more then a very cold wet and scary night.

All the best and don't worry about Brexit in the meantime!

Just been out pushing in boats with Carolyn a neighbour, looks like only one boat sunk but will know better when it's lighter.  iI's strange bur it was us two pushing in the boats in 2007 I truly hope this is the Las time ! Well had a shower time for a cup of tea and bed I think 

Edited by peterboat

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Just been out pushing in boats wit Carolyn a neighbour, looks like only one boat sunk but will know better when it's lighter,  it's strange bur it was us two pushing in the boats in 2007 I truly hope this is the Las time ! Well had a shower time for a cup of tea and bed I think 

Thanks for the update. Hope that sleep is free from interruption.

Don

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Platform 4 at Rotherham station....

EI062v8X0Ac5Bbq.jpeg

I bet it’s running late and there’s standing room only. 

River Levels here in Penistone (while still high) have dropped significantly. It’s off the fields, so should bring some respite to those downstream. 

42 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Platform 4 at Rotherham station....

EI062v8X0Ac5Bbq.jpeg

Nah, far too modern for Northern. This is their Rotherham train replacement boat service. Excellent green credentials, oar powered by their unfortunate passengers, so extra profit for the owners. Unfortunately, it is broken and being repaired, so the service is cancelled.

spacer.png

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

Just received this email from CaRT:

Notice Alert

Sheffield & South Yorkshire Navigations

Friday 8 November 2019 08:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Information

Original message:

Due to the severe weather conditions the Sheffield & South Yorkshire navigation is currently closed to navigation.

We are monitoring water levels and will update this notice when the situation changes.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/16553/sheffield-and-south-yorkshire-navigation-closed

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

A quick rundown of events, yesterday afternoon when it became obvious that we were going over we went through the moorings releasing boats and putting them on long lines, only one sank due to being chained down! We had to cut loads of lines because people insist on using crap polyprop rope which the then knot so that it cant be undone, they also have centerlines on why? the river broke its bank opposite me it was also over the locks at Rotherham so we had a very substantial current running past us. At about 2 ish in the morning we hit the top and were floating well over the bank, I had a scaffolding pole tied to the rear stantion on the boat and a step ladder at the bow, both these stopped the boat going onto the bank, at 5 ish I went out as the water was receding Carolyne a neighbour came out as well [we did this in 2007 as well] and started pushing boat of the bank back into the canal, it was freezing and to be honest foolhardy as the bank was full of debris! At about half 6 we had all the boats sorted out and retired to have a shower as we were filthy and stank [sewage station up river from us] now its a glorious day washing machine is on mug of tea and breakfast gone, and all is well in my world.

Well done Peter, what a great thing to do.

19 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

You must still be very young then ...............

I was taught the metric system at school and I'm 56. My 62 year old brother says the same. I can cope with either but prefer metric as it's simple and straightforward. I bought a guide to woodworking with a router and the paragraphs showing how to calculate offsets when you're using a 3/16" bit on a curve of radius 1 5/8" with a baseplate of width 3 7/8" is insane. Move onto a consistent and logical system for heaven's sake.

This is such a dull argument. People who suggest there's something "better" about imperial are just showing how unwilling they are to change their minds and move with the times; thisgs were better in them olden days. No they weren't.

And when you have people of 56 and 62 who understand the metric system, how old do you have to be to make the utterly tedious claim that you don't understand? People choose not to understand as though it makes them look clever in some way. It doesn't. It makes them look daft, hidebound and reactionary.

Edited by Onionman
  • Greenie 4

24 minutes ago, Onionman said:

I was taught the metric system at school and I'm 56. My 62 year old brother says the same. I can cope with either but prefer metric as it's simple and straightforward. I bought a guide to woodworking with a router and the paragraphs showing how to calculate offsets when you're using a 3/16" bit on a curve of radius 1 5/8" with a baseplate of width 3 7/8" is insane. Move onto a consistent and logical system for heaven's sake.

This is such a dull argument. People who suggest there's something "better" about imperial are just showing how unwilling they are to change their minds and move with the times; thisgs were better in them olden days. No they weren't.

And when you have people of 56 and 62 who understand the metric system, how old do you have to be to make the utterly tedious claim that you don't understand? People choose not to understand as though it makes them look clever in some way. It doesn't. It makes them look daft, hidebound and reactionary.

The same is common with mathermatics (actually with arithmetic) people who would be offended if you suggested that they had trouble reading, are happy to say that they don't understand "maths".

• Greenie 1

Worksop was hit pretty badly last night. The town centre and surrounding lower lying properties were all flooded with homes evacuated.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/worksop-residents-trapped-chest-high-3514706

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-50343169

The river has now peaked and is dropping but much more slowly than it usually does.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2121?direction=u

We had an uneventful drive to work this morning. There was water running off the fields but nothing to cause alarm. There is a lot of standing water still to make it's way into the river system though. Fingers crossed for a dry spell to let things get back to normal!

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Worksop was hit pretty badly last night. The town centre and surrounding lower lying properties were all flooded with homes evacuated.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/worksop-residents-trapped-chest-high-3514706

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-50343169

The river has now peaked and is dropping but much more slowly than it usually does.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2121?direction=u

We had an uneventful drive to work this morning. There was water running off the fields but nothing to cause alarm. There is a lot of standing water still to make it's way into the river system though. Fingers crossed for a dry spell to let things get back to normal!

Sorry to say it's raining even as we speak, we have only just started cleaning up after the last lot never mind any more ?

7 hours ago, peterboat said:

Sorry to say it's raining even as we speak, we have only just started cleaning up after the last lot never mind any more ?

Get used to it. It's called climate change. Soon you won't be able to tell the last lot from the next lot. It's going to get more and more frequent.

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Get used to it. It's called climate change. Soon you won't be able to tell the last lot from the next lot. It's going to get more and more frequent.

Dont blame me I am the one with the solar powered boat and solar powered truck!!

In all seriousness you are right and we need to something before its to late to stop it! It will be like Zomboat except it be the general population trying to steal our boats!

10 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Might have to rethink this change to a motorhome if Worksop is going to get closer to the sea :rolleyes:

You could always consider buying a boat !

We were at the boat (on its new moorings on the Welsh coast) for the last couple of weeks and was speaking with a friend who lives close by. He suggested that in view of the weather forecast and the possibility of flooding, if we needed it he could find us a bed for a couple of nights.

I said that was most kind, but in the event of a flood, being on the boat, would maybe be the best place to be.

He answered, "Hmmm - yes, you are probably right"

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Onionman said:

I seem to remember doing my ONC using Imperial in 1964/65, and changing to metric whilst doing my HND, 1966/69, and then having to go back to Imperial when I then went to university.

3 hours ago, Onionman said:

I'm 65 and I was taught both metric and imperial at school. I have only ever used imperial measurements when doing woodwork lessons at school, probably because the teacher was ancient.

All of my working life I have only used metric units.

• Greenie 1