Flooding

haggis

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Heavy rain is forecast for both Thursday and Saturday this week so I don't think you will be going anywhere for a while.

Tide times not good now for west Stockwith departure, in a narrowboat , until 16th.

52 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So perhaps the builder of your estate is no better than the rest!

They are far from the worst.

Fortunately there has been nothing of detriment to the building and overall we are very happy with the quality of the build and fit out. 

The missing brick was in fairness a missing portion of brick in the edge of the gable that wasn't quite covered by the dry verges.

51 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Tide times not good now for west Stockwith departure, in a narrowboat , until 16th.

With the amount of fresh that will be in the river tide times will be largely irrelevant heading upstream. It is going to be a long slog regardless as you push the flow!!

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

So perhaps the builder of your estate is no better than the rest!

At least they are coming back to fix stuff. Some developers I know are in the missing list as soon as they have the money. In these cases, guarantees and warranty’s are not worth the paper they are written on.

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

At least they are coming back to fix stuff. Some developers I know are in the missing list as soon as they have the money. In these cases, guarantees and warranty’s are not worth the paper they are written on.

We have no complaints with the David Wilson Homes site staff on that score. They have been very good at coming and repairing things quickly. 

To be fair to them a lot of the snagging has been items from external sources such as the door and the window and not problems with the build of the house. 

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have no complaints with the David Wilson Homes site staff on that score. They have been very good at coming and repairing things quickly. 

To be fair to them a lot of the snagging has been items from external sources such as the door and the window and not problems with the build of the house. 

Just beware, DW are currently under the cosh and facing lawsuits for falsified quality checks and lying about things like mortar quality.

For them to blame external is easy, but if it's done by contractors who have been getting away with it for years due to DW lacking quality care, cutting costs and corners, and hoping new buyers will not notice until the warranty has expired.....will only comeback to bite them on the arse......and they are one of the bigger, more reputable builders...allegedly.

I cant say more publically.....as it's not been judged yet.....other than some people refuse to be bought off.

Edited by matty40s

Yes we are aware that several developers are being investigated for the weak mortar scandal. We have copies of the supply sheets for the batches allegedly used on this house, how we prove otherwise I dont know!

The overall build quality on this development does seem to be to a high standard and the contractors we have spoken too in passing do agree that this is a well built estate. It is certainly a lot better than a lot I have visited through work and is well run and well managed. 

Everybody you speak too here in both the Barratt and DWH houses is happy with their home. 

Back on topic. Monsoon season appears to have arrived in Worksop.

Noah built a boat 300 cubits long, 50 cubits beam and 30 cubits high. A narrowboat is a lot smaller. With yet more torrential rain today I am wondering which animals I should load two by two and which I should leave to drown. Can I save enough species to provide a stable and thriving ecosystem in the postdiluvian world?

46 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes - about two inches in real terms, isn't it?

Although I can and do think and speak and use some imperial units such as pints of beer and miles per gallon I am mainly a metric thinking person. I have not only worked in metric and SI units my entire carrier but also received education in the same since the start of my secondary school education.  I think, therefore, that mm are every day and ''real ''units and inches are units from bygone era that rather quaintly remain in use in some sectors.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Although I can and do think and speak and use some imperial units such as pints of beer and miles per gallon I am mainly a metric thinking person. I have not only worked in metric and SI units my entire carrier but also received education in the same since the start of my secondary school education.  I think, therefore, that mm are every day and ''real ''units and inches are units from bygone era that rather quaintly remain in use in some sectors.

I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek. Because of my long connection with France, of course I understand the metric system. But I think in imperial and, while I can envisage what two inches looks like, I have to think before conjuring up a mental picture of 50 millimetres. When the dimensions of a car are expressed in millimetres (why? metres and centimetres would be far easier) I'm completely baffled.

How long's your boat? Most people would respond with a length in feet. One or two brokers did express them in metres a few years ago but I think they have now dropped this policy and gone back to units which are more appropriate to the canals.

Edited by Athy

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

How long's your boat? Most people would respond with a length in feet. One or two brokers did express them in metres a few years ago but I think they have now dropped this policy and gone back to units which are more appropriate to the canals.

There's a winding hole on the Leicester Line, not far south of Watford Gap services, that is in metres not feet. I have no idea whether I could wind my boat there or not.

• Happy 1

18 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

There's a winding hole on the Leicester Line, not far south of Watford Gap services, that is in metres not feet. I have no idea whether I could wind my boat there or not.

You can, I have. My boat is as long as they get on the English canals in whatever currency

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Noah built a boat 300 cubits long, 50 cubits beam and 30 cubits high. A narrowboat is a lot smaller. With yet more torrential rain today I am wondering which animals I should load two by two and which I should leave to drown. Can I save enough species to provide a stable and thriving ecosystem in the postdiluvian world?

A cubit being the length of a mans forearm from his elbow to the tip of his middle finger and is  roughly equal to 18 inches.

9 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Metres and millimetres are but I'd agree that centimetres are much more handy when actually measuring something.

18 cm and 30 cm were the first foreign measurements which, as a teenager, I could instantly envisage. They are the diameters of single and L.P. records!

15 hours ago, matty40s said:

Just beware, DW are currently under the cosh and facing lawsuits for falsified quality checks and lying about things like mortar quality.

For them to blame external is easy, but if it's done by contractors who have been getting away with it for years due to DW lacking quality care, cutting costs and corners, and hoping new buyers will not notice until the warranty has expired.....will only comeback to bite them on the arse......and they are one of the bigger, more reputable builders...allegedly.

I cant say more publically.....as it's not been judged yet.....other than some people refuse to be bought off.

David Wilson Homes is owned by Barratt, I believe. 'Nuff said? 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

I agree .    cm are never used on a construction drawing (except  by the French ) . Only millimetres or metres

Of course - since m and mm are the international standard, and have been for quite a long time, you'd expect the French to have their own variant (on the basis that they invented it anyway) and the British to continue with believing that we are still in the Imperial age.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

You can, I have. My boat is as long as they get on the English canals in whatever currency

When metrication first came into UK the Metrication Board ruled that if something was still manufactured to an Imperial dimension then it should be used. Hence if ply sheets were made 4 ft x 6 ft x 6 mm then that is how they should be described rather than try to approximate in mm for the first two. Time has passed and such manufacturing equipment has long since been replaced by modern alternatives. I describe our narrowboat as a 60 ft boat when asked how long it is as that is more a name of a type than an actual dimension. I have no idea how long it is!

For modest dimensions, keeping to mm, rather than mixed m and mm is safer as it is easy to miss a decimal point is a crucial place. eg better to use 250 mm  then .25 m - for dimensions in the numbers of metres, the decimal part is for accuracy rather than scale. (I was long ago trained, even as a physicist, to do a calculation first for scale and then for accuracy - ie do it quickly in round numbers to see if the answer is in the right ball park. If not work our why before wasting time on longer calculations. Part of the philosophy was to understand the likely scale of anything you might be measuring. Similar goes for how many decimal places to use. Many things described as eg 256.56 mm  are probably only known to the integer part and the rest is spurious, perhaps as a result of a calculation that was originally based on 3 significant figure dimensions any way. 

If you apply such principles when shopping it is surprising how close to the checkout total you can be.