Flooding

haggis

Featured Posts

I would be up for it, if it was open. 

Swmbo, however is not. She’s starting some locum work on Monday after 4 months off. Worried she will be stuck on a floating pontoon when she’s meant to be working!

33 minutes ago, pearley said:

Facebook has NB Hekla coming up from Keadby and into West Stockwith today. Reckons the tide coming upstream matched the fresh coming down

Let’s hope they came out of Keadby at the right time and have had a safe trip.

It looks like there’s slightly less water in the river than when we did it on the 16th Oct when we were let out 30-60 mins too late. 

Ps I hope they haven’t got soaked with the driving rain

Edited by MHS

22 hours ago, MHS said:

I don’t do Faecesbook but have found their post. 

Looks like they had a safe and uneventful trip. 

We went over Dunham Bridge today. The levels looked to have gone down a lot, but that's only part of the story. The flow still looked very strong.

I see  the flood gates at Torksey opened yesterday

''The flood levels have started to come down, and the Environment Agency have opened the flood gates.

Boaters can now travel through Toksey Lock but are asked to proceed with care.

Please keep checking the website and follow advice on site, as due to the planned bad weather, flood alerts may change quite quickly.''

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/16507-torksey-lock

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

''The flood levels have started to come down, and the Environment Agency have opened the flood gates.

Please keep checking the website and follow advice on site, as due to the planned bad weather, flood alerts may change quite quickly.''

Went over Dunham bridge yesterday and the Trent was over the banks on the North side of the bridge.

11 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The Trent will sadly be up quite for a while yet. It’s raining upstream for the foreseeable future. 

31 minutes ago, MHS said:

Well I don’t like it in whisky, and in excess in the Trent it’s now held us up for over 5 weeks!

I guess that's all part of winter boating.

I guess you will be stuck now until about 16th November ?

Yes either the 16th or 17th, but I’m not sure with the weather forecast that it’s going to happen then either. 

We are enjoying the Chesterfield as it’s 5 years since we’ve been here. Unfortunately we (like many) can only use VM’s as it’s so shallow. 

9 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Too far ahead for weather forecasts.

Maybe, but if the prolonged heavy rain falls this Thursday, with levels where they already are, that could scupper it. 

We really are hoping to get back to the Coventry canal this year!

17 hours ago, MHS said:

Maybe, but if the prolonged heavy rain falls this Thursday, with levels where they already are, that could scupper it. 

We really are hoping to get back to the Coventry canal this year!

Heavy rain is forecast for both Thursday and Saturday this week so I don't think you will be going anywhere for a while.

Toby Jug made a break for it on Monday heading from Torksey to West Stockwith so I guess the planned works at West Stockwith lock were postponed.

Sorry but we must have jinxed the weather for tomorrow (Thursday) as we are having a window replaced at home so of course it was going to be heavy rain :lol:

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Already? I thought it was a brand new house!

There is a hand print on the inside of the pane of glass!

Also had the front door replaced as it was bowed :blink:

We have had perhaps the most comedic snagging list possible, brick missing from gable end, mismatching locks in patio doors (not even the same brand),....

Edited by Naughty Cal

7 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

There is a hand print on the inside of the pane of glass!

Also had the front door replaced as it was bowed :blink:

We have had perhaps the most comedic snagging list possible, brick missing from gable end, mismatching locks in patio doors (not even the same brand),....

So perhaps the builder of your estate is no better than the rest!