Flooding

haggis

Featured Posts

Looking at the Farndon levels this morning, assuming it continues to drop, the floodgates at Newark may open tomorrow.

But, looking at the projections for Shardlow, they show the level dropping tomorrow but the rising again on Saturday.

I guess it's just a question of wait and see. We'll be staying at Nottingham until at least Tuesday now due to doctors appointment.

33 minutes ago, pearley said:

Looking at the Farndon levels this morning, assuming it continues to drop, the floodgates at Newark may open tomorrow.

But, looking at the projections for Shardlow, they show the level dropping tomorrow but the rising again on Saturday.

I guess it's just a question of wait and see. We'll be staying at Nottingham until at least Tuesday now due to doctors appointment.

Do you have a link for projected levels?

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Torksey flood gates are still shut and not expected to open this week.

Heading upstream from West Stockwith to Torksey with all that fresh coming down is not a trip I would fancy in a narrowboat!

If Torksey does remain shut then we will  be on the Chesterfield for a fair while longer. The tides don’t work with us for around a fortnight after this Sunday/Monday. 

We were earlier stuck on the SY navigations for a couple of weeks due to rivers in flood. We then did our dash from Keadby to West Stockwith. 

We’ve been stuck for a fortnight on the Chesterfield so far. At least it’s a lovely canal although very shallow for us in places. 

You will be stuck regardless if you dont get off in the next few days. They are doing work to the lock gates at West Stockwith and it will be shut. 

How long it is shut depends on the extent of work needed!

There are boats that moor at West Stockwith stuck on the ditch who look like not getting back in time!

11 hours ago, peterboat said:

Life is to short to move when the boards are in the red, this August on the S&SY I waited 3 day's for it to go back to yellow it was still a quick journey! Having been on big tides on the Trent I know how little control we really have over the water, Rachel with NC has the power to push the current we don't so why would we?

I thought that they had sold NC.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

You will be stuck regardless if you dont get off in the next few days. They are doing work to the lock gates at West Stockwith and it will be shut. 

How long it is shut depends on the extent of work needed!

There are boats that moor at West Stockwith stuck on the ditch who look like not getting back in time!

I was aware of the planned 5 day stoppage. When I mentioned it to Jim, the  lock keeper, he reckoned that they may not do it on the planned dates. 

23 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Looks like Sunday around 10:30 is your time to exit West Stockwith ?

I would prefer to miss the rugby and go earlier on Saturday but the weather forecast is bl**dy awful again.

All looking more likely that we will be watching the match in the dry. Then staying put. 

1 hour ago, MHS said:

the weather forecast is bl**dy awful again.

That's the UK weather for you. 

My chief officer thinks she should have been born in a country  with a warmer climate and certainly having a shorter winter.   

11 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I thought that they had sold NC.

Not on brokerage yet. We still have a few little jobs to finish off before it heads onto the sales pontoon. We are in no rush now given the time of the year not being ideal for selling a boat! 

NC is on the hardstanding probably for the winter now but we will get the for sale sign on it as soon as we have finished doing what we want to do too it.

I’ve always been an optimist, but I do know when to admit defeat.

The Trent levels have dropped a long way but not enough. West Stockwith looks likely to reopen tomorrow according to the lockie Jim. 

So we will sit in front of the rugby while the strong wind and rain batters the country. Looks likely that the levels will be rising again significantly on Sunday. 

1 minute ago, MHS said:

The Trent levels have dropped a long way but not enough. West Stockwith looks likely to reopen tomorrow according to the lockie Jim. 

So we will sit in front of the rugby while the strong wind and rain batters the country. Looks likely that the levels will be rising again significantly on Sunday. 

The Trent has broken its banks at Newark.

The road from Newark to Kelham has been closed since Monday due to flooding and the Police suggest it will be at least another 4 days before the levels drop enough to re-open rthe roads.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/highways-issues-statement-after-bridge-3484474

Other problems at Colwick, Gunthorpe & Stoke Bardolph

The Trent is up at the Colwick river gauge as a result of persistent heavy rainfall further along the river.

Low-lying agricultural land and roads are most at risk near the Trent, including the Queen's Drive Park and Ride, Thrumpton Lane at Thrumpton, Wyke Lane at Farndon, Kelham Road and Tolney Lane at Newark as well as at Stoke Bardolph.

Dramatic pictures show the Trent at Stoke Bardolph has burst its banks, off Stoke Lane.

Roads in Shelford and Gunthorpe are also at risk.

In an update on Tuesday evening (October 29), the Government's flood information service warned river levels were expected to remain high for at least 48 hours.

9 minutes ago, MHS said:

Speaking to CRT men at Beeston Lock today they will not be opening the floodgates at Cranfleet just yet. The drop in level at Beeston has only gone down a few inches overnight and now seems to have stalled.

Will know Nottingham quite intimately by the time we are able to leave.

39 minutes ago, MHS said:

Kelham Road was opened to traffic yesterday.

The gauges at Farndon and Muskham suggest non tidal river levels back to normal at the moment.

Colwick gauge looks back to normal but predicted to rise. However any rise in level at Colwick will usually take a couple of days to reach the tidal river .

Torksey levels still falling with each tide

Only the weather perhaps making a passage uncomfortable. Tomorrows forecast does look extremely windy.

Keeping an eye on the weather and river levels I would not rule out the possibility of a Sunday passage. However there are worse places to be stuck than West Stockwith.  If you can’t get through the lock at Torksey the cut is not the greatest place to stay more than a night. … Especially not if the river level is set to rise again significantly.

9 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not on brokerage yet. We still have a few little jobs to finish off before it heads onto the sales pontoon. We are in no rush now given the time of the year not being ideal for selling a boat! 

NC is on the hardstanding probably for the winter now but we will get the for sale sign on it as soon as we have finished doing what we want to do too it.

I was going by your last blog post which suggested a somewhat more fast track plan. But that's boating for you!

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Kelham Road was opened to traffic yesterday.

The gauges at Farndon and Muskham suggest non tidal river levels back to normal at the moment.

Colwick gauge looks back to normal but predicted to rise. However any rise in level at Colwick will usually take a couple of days to reach the tidal river .

Torksey levels still falling with each tide

Only the weather perhaps making a passage uncomfortable. Tomorrows forecast does look extremely windy.

Keeping an eye on the weather and river levels I would not rule out the possibility of a Sunday passage. However there are worse places to be stuck than West Stockwith.  If you can’t get through the lock at Torksey the cut is not the greatest place to stay more than a night. … Especially not if the river level is set to rise again significantly.

Newark Floodgates still closed.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/16490-newark-basin-flood-gates-newark-river-trent

On 29/10/2019 at 21:11, Nightwatch said:

Why do people do that. I mean go against alockies advice. I am talking Thames Lockie.

a). "because I'm a boater and the lock attendant doesn't understand boats"

b). "I don't take advice"

Run out of assinine  reasons...

Folks don't realise that Thames lock keepers are more than a bod pushing buttons - they manage river flows as guided by the control room and have considerable local and general knowledge of the River in general and 'their' reach in particular. I f folks took the effort to talk to the staff, they'd get a better understandinf of this peculiar stretch of water.

It really pisses me off when I cme across a cock-sure boater who (for instance) insist of working with only a centre line, when requested to use two lines. Thise are the rules and they are there for a good reason.

!pah!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

It really pisses me off when I cme across a cock-sure boater who (for instance) insist of working with only a centre line, when requested to use two lines. Thise are the rules and they are there for a good reason.

!pah!

And please can you enlighten me, what is that reason when a narrow boat is locking DOWN in a Thames lock ?

18 hours ago, MHS said:

Tomorrows forecast looks good. While more fresh is on the way it looks like there is the opportunity to make the trip to Torksey.  Assuming the EA have opened the flood gates to make  Torksey lock operational.