Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Often wondered if these idyllic properties are not so idyllic once you move in and have had a few days watching boats/trains etc.... has anyone on here bought their 'dream' house and been disappointed?

No.

I sit looking out of the window watching boats and trains every day. 

Even the mrs now works from home and has her home office overlooking the boats and trains!

23 hours ago, magnetman said:

Apart from the terrible conservatory has it got UPVC double glazing?

It looks like it.

I suppose this is what people want rather than accepting heat loss and putting more coal on the fire.

Yes I do think I was born 100 yars too late !

It's not a choice between ugly UPVC double glazing or heat loss. You can have double glazing in timber windows that actually look like the original windows.

1 minute ago, Barneyp said:

It's not a choice between ugly UPVC double glazing or heat loss. You can have double glazing in timber windows that actually look like the original windows.

I've not idea as have never had any land property but are the proper wooden ones a lot more expensive than the terrible plastic rubbish?

Maybe its just a marketing problem and people buy these awful things because someone suggests to them they might need the product.

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I've not idea as have never had any land property but are the proper wooden ones a lot more expensive than the terrible plastic rubbish?

Maybe its just a marketing problem and people buy these awful things because someone suggests to them they might need the product.

If you compare products of similar quality there isn't a huge difference in price. 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

I put beautiful, individual pane, Georgian bar timber double glazing in my "marital" home - they looked stunning and worked brilliantly, but they were a pain in the harris to paint every few years...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Barneyp said:

If the property is listed I don't think the planners will except that. When we came through Bumblehole today I noticed that it now has secondary glazing inside the old metal window frames 

30 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Long offside canal frontage with potential mooring, and they don't even mention it! I see there is a canoe in the garden suggesting the current owners have made some use of the water.

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

If the property is listed I don't think the planners will except that. When we came through Bumblehole today I noticed that it now has secondary glazing inside the old metal window frames 

And not easy if you have sash windows.

Nice old pleasure garden for sale near Goring with 320m of Thames frontage.

PNG220043_02.jpg#2023-01-18+09:02:47

£400k+ apparently. Still thats quite a lot of frontage there.

I guess the neighbours might have a thing or two to say if it turned into moorings.

Definitely looks like an old pleasure garden there is a layout visible.

Quite nice.

https://www.struttandparker.com/properties/golden-hill

Adequate firewood supplies

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

Long offside canal frontage with potential mooring, and they don't even mention it! I see there is a canoe in the garden suggesting the current owners have made some use of the water.

A house that is hideous and the interior is the height of bad taste. The gardens are lovely so £1.5m is a lot of money for a building plot!!

13 minutes ago, Richard T said:

A house that is hideous and the interior is the height of bad taste. The gardens are lovely so £1.5m is a lot of money for a building plot!!

It has already been rebuilt once. When I first saw it the house back in the early 80's it was constructed from those concrete bricks that used to be popular for garden walls. It still has some around the swimming pool. 

I’m not sure many people would agree that the house is hideous. It may not be to everyone’s taste but it’s designed and decorated using very modern fixtures and fittings. It wouldn’t be too my taste but you could change some of the interior for very little cost and make it much more welcoming. I would suggest the structural integrity is absolutely fine. Personally l think the biggest let down is the outside of the house. The cheap house brick needs rendering to compliment the modern interior of the property. The fabulous garden would suit anyone who enjoys gardening. The last owner that l spoke to spent many, many hours maintaining it and was often complimented on lovely it looks.

On 15/11/2023 at 08:58, Tim Lewis said:

Orgasmic property for beer, canal and steam train enthusiasts:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/141471929#/?channel=RES_BUY

No good if you are in to cars though. No vehicle access

CRT property back on the market again

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/142013405#/?channel=COM_BUY

12 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

"The vendors have also informed us there is a small parcel of land to be included in the sale with the potential to be used as parking."

Presumably on the other side of the canal, where there is vehicular access.

On 16/11/2023 at 08:50, magnetman said:

My dream home old Harwell nuclear pumphouse and associated land on the Thames sold for rather a low price.

Just over £200k. How nice !

https://bidx1.com/en/en-gb/auction/property/91906

I'd love to have had it although to be fair being just below the deepest lock on the River (Culham) the water level there will be up and down like the assyrian empire.

So it could be a dream turning into a nightmare. One imagines the local who owns the rest of the land around it bought it.

I thought Sandford lock is the deepest

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

CRT property back on the market again

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/142013405#/?channel=COM_BUY

Not good if you are into beer either lately.

You're more likely to find the landlord in the Black Lion at Cheddleton than in his own pub.

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

You're more likely to find the landlord in the Black Lion at Cheddleton than in his own pub.

Maybe he gets confused about which Black Lion is which? 😉

Shame though, the one at Consall Forge was a lovely pub before the fire... 😞

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

my recollection is that all of the supplies to the pub had to be trolleyed (or whatever) across the footbridge. 

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

my recollection is that all of the supplies to the pub had to be trolleyed (or whatever) across the footbridge. 

Yup and the EMPTY barrels put back there too.

It's quite a busy spot during the day despite being isolated with a lot of coming and goings.

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Maybe he gets confused about which Black Lion is which? 😉

Shame though, the one at Consall Forge was a lovely pub before the fire... 😞

There is also the Red Lion at Cheddleton.