New BSS requirements for suitable certified CO alarms

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

Well there's a shock result ...

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/about-us/news-and-press-releases/news-releases/nr18-005-new-bss-requirements-for-suitable-certified-co-alarms-to-bs-en-50291/

NR18-005 New BSS requirements for suitable certified CO alarms to BS EN 50291

Following the public consultation in Autumn 2018 on proposed changes to the Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) the BSS Management Committee has decided that new BSS Requirements for carbon monoxide (CO) alarms on boats will be introduced from next April. Strong support for the changes was demonstrated in the responses to the consultation with 84% in favour of introducing a requirement for suitable working carbon monoxide (CO) alarms.

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Well there's a shock result ...

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/about-us/news-and-press-releases/news-releases/nr18-005-new-bss-requirements-for-suitable-certified-co-alarms-to-bs-en-50291/

NR18-005 New BSS requirements for suitable certified CO alarms to BS EN 50291

Following the public consultation in Autumn 2018 on proposed changes to the Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) the BSS Management Committee has decided that new BSS Requirements for carbon monoxide (CO) alarms on boats will be introduced from next April. Strong support for the changes was demonstrated in the responses to the consultation with 84% in favour of introducing a requirement for suitable working carbon monoxide (CO) alarms.

'Bout Time too...

Though the 84% in favour was less than 220 people.  But thinking about it, most that did not reply probably were more inclined to support as it was probably going to happen, so felt there was not much point answering, in which case I should have said only about 40 people felt strongly enough to object.

I'm all for good quality CO alarms.  I've had them in my boats for nearly 20 years.  However I wonder if my current ones meet the required EN number.  How many of us with perfectly serviceable CO alarms will have to throw them out because they don't tick the right box?

I'll check mine tomorrow.

Edited by dor

3 minutes ago, dor said:

I'm all for good quality CO alarms.  I've had them in my boats for nearly 20 years.  However I wonder if my current ones meet the required EN number.  How many of us with perfectly serviceable CO alarms will have to throw them out because they don't tick the right box?

They have a relatively short useful life, and cost washers, so you'll not lose much even if you have to.

MP.

10 minutes ago, dor said:

From the BSS site

If you already have a Kitemarked alarm, tested to BS EN 50291, or 50291-1, the advice is to keep it, test it routinely and when it needs replacing, choose a unit tested to BS EN 50291-2.

So you won't need to change your existing alarm until it stops working.

9 minutes ago, dor said:

If it doesn't have BS EN 50291, then it probably not a good quality CO alarm!    CO alarms aren't serviceable (bar batteries), they have a shelf life.

19 minutes ago, pearley said:

From the BSS site

If you already have a Kitemarked alarm, tested to BS EN 50291, or 50291-1, the advice is to keep it, test it routinely and when it needs replacing, choose a unit tested to BS EN 50291-2.

"They have a relatively short useful life, and cost washers, so you'll not lose much even if you have to. "

Checking the one at home, it is certified to EN 50291-1.  Manufactured in 2017 with a 10 year battery.

37 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I could not spot what it says about the number that you need and their location.  Currently have 4 which I hope would be enough, but they could be in the wrong locations.

Details to be published in January/February according to the press release. I have one already in the main area, but probably should have another in the bedroom. Will get it compliant when the details come out. BSS not due till 2020.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

39 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Details to be published in January/February according to the press release. I have one already in the main area, but probably should have another in the bedroom. Will get it compliant when the details come out. BSS not due till 2020.

Jen

Thanks I had missed that!

1 hour ago, pearley said:

From the BSS site

Ooh, an outbreak of common sense! Now that really is something to be encouraged! Applauded too. :)

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

I could not spot what it says about the number that you need and their location.  Currently have 4 which I hope would be enough, but they could be in the wrong locations.

I suppose you cant have too many CO detectors.

However 4 is probably  3 more than required.

2 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

'Bout Time too...

I agree.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the petrol engined boats which will probably trigger a CO alarm on a regular basis.

Examples of suitable detectors

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/294453/boat-co-alarms-may-18.pdf

Just now, MartynG said:

I agree.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the petrol engined boats which will probably trigger a CO alarm on a regular basis.

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

I agree.

thing is  ,Boats often have Umpteen Compartments where Airflow is Variable CO can get trapped in one which is isolated from The Detector(s)

48 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I agree.

The boat has a solid fuel stove at one end and a gas central heating boiler at the other.  Therefore you need at least two tobe safe, and for redundancy each one is doubled up.  Does not seem overkill to me, and they are not exactly expensive.  The press release talks in the plural, so presumably you are going to need two to be compliant.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

So when the one sounds you  say well it must have gone wrong, but if 2 or more go off you would say, O I have CO I best do something fast.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

So when the one sounds you  say well it must have gone wrong, but if 2 or more go off you would say, O I have CO I best do something fast.

Better to have three at each end, just ask Mike...

Or would that be overkill?