Ducks in a cage

Featured Posts

In deranged businessman newspeak (DBN) we already have "herding cats" and "getting your ducks in a row" so I think "getting your ducks in a cage" could maybe become the new must say buzzword.

...............Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

In deranged businessman newspeak (DBN) we already have "herding cats" and "getting your ducks in a row" so I think "getting your ducks in a cage" could maybe become the new must say buzzword.

...............Dave

Did you think of that after a "blue sky" session or were you thinking "outside of the box"? ??

The OP asked if this was common and in my experience it definitely is not. A few days ago I did see something similar but I was too far past the boat/location before I realised it was there so did not take in a full picture. I am grateful that the OP cares sufficiently about the situation to want to pursue it using the proper channels.

Thanks all for the input. I've taken a picture of the cage (which is only just big enough for the 3 ducks to shuffle up and down a bit but not much else) and the bridge number close by.

It might all be quite innocent and they might be pets which are let out during the day but I'm no longer thereso can't really say. I will pass the details I have onto the RSPCA and leave it in their hands.

People keep ducks and chickens for eggs, white ducks are not wild, if the other duck is a mallard its not a wild one or it would have been going nuts when it saw you. The are hens on the towpath on the bridge water, tey are out in small cages with food and water during part of the day

On 29/09/2018 at 08:03, Phil Ambrose said:

I thought the post had been reported to the mods as the suggestion was the boat was full of Immigrants  

That aside,my thoughts are that the white ducks are in fact somebody's pets, possibly Indian Runners or Aylesbury,s or American Peking. 

Fowl  are always locked up at night for protection from predators and I suspect the mallard wandered in with others while the 2 left outside were norty stop outs.

Often when locking up my chickens one or two of my ducks would go in with them, the same applies in reverse when locking up my ducks.

If you have genuine concerns about the birds welfare then a call to the RSPCA is the correct thing to do. Do NOT call the RSPB as  this sort of issue is not in their remit.

Phil 

Agreed, white ducks are domesticated ducks rather than wildfowl. 

Alternatively, the person may be using the cage with a couple of female whites in to attract and trap mallards. There are people from other parts of the world that would eat things we Brits don't (that is not racist but a statement of fact).

I don't let my duck out at night.

18 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Alternatively, the person may be using the cage with a couple of female whites in to attract and trap mallards. There are people from other parts of the world that would eat things we Brits don't (that is not racist but a statement of fact).

I did not realuse that the Equalities Act extended to foxes.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Are you suggesting we (UK population) don't eat Mallard?

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Its not an offence to be racist Doc so dont bother about it ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

Are you suggesting we (UK population) don't eat Mallard?

I wondered about that. Bob is indeed correct that some foods from outside Britain are not popular here (snails, horse meat for example) but I've assumed that if we eat duck over here, it's either Aylesbury (if farmed) or mallard (if wild).

The French probably far outdo us in duck consumption. It cannot be a coincidence that, in my experience, the rivers and canals of S.W. France are almost bereft of ducks, but the area's dining tables groan under them.

1 minute ago, David Schweizer said:

Only if you keep your racist views to yourself, and do not commit any act which is motivated by your racist views.

Yes thats correct...........as I said there is no offence of being a racist.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I wondered about that. Bob is indeed correct that some foods from outside Britain are not popular here (snails, horse meat for example) but I've assumed that if we eat duck over here, it's either Aylesbury (if farmed) or mallard (if wild).

The French probably far outdo us in duck consumption. It cannot be a coincidence that, in my experience, the rivers and canals of S.W. France are almost bereft of ducks, but the area's dining tables groan under them.

To be honest, I havent a clue. There are so many mallards around and are on the increase, so if they were a decent food source then I think they would be in demand. As they are not, I guess people do not see them as a meal.

I photo a lot of ducks in the UK (or wildfowl in general terms so have some sort of feeling for them viz, widgeon, gadwall, shelduck, eider, teal, Rudy Shelduck, Pintail, Pochard, Red crested Pochard, Shoverler, Long tailed duck, greater scaup, lesser scaup, tufted duck, hdpe giant duck and mandarin duck but always feel let down when an new one turns out to be a mallard.

25 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

To be honest, I havent a clue. There are so many mallards around and are on the increase, so if they were a decent food source then I think they would be in demand. As they are not, I guess people do not see them as a meal.

I photo a lot of ducks in the UK (or wildfowl in general terms so have some sort of feeling for them viz, widgeon, gadwall, shelduck, eider, teal, Rudy Shelduck, Pintail, Pochard, Red crested Pochard, Shoverler, Long tailed duck, greater scaup, lesser scaup, tufted duck, hdpe giant duck and mandarin duck but always feel let down when an new one turns out to be a mallard.

Dr Bob can you name any of the wildfowl in general terms that you have some sort of feeling for?

• Haha 1

Last night I was moored up to the boat with the ducks, nice chap, ducks were fine, seemed in good health and in good welfare, I was worried about my dog hassling them but the ducks soon put my pooch in his place.

Sorry but imo, what a snobby assumption you have made about the liveaboard boater who is tending to the ducks. You have made your judgment based on what his boat looks like and your baseless presumption that he doesn't move very much. Shame on you.

Edited by jeddlad
  • Greenie 3